JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK so I googled this and spent a half an hour following links and I can't get it pinned, because each state is different. How does one go about applying for a Class III in Oregon? Does it vary from county to county? I'd really like an SBR. Any info would be great. Thanx!

Lots to learn.

There is no such thing as "Apply for a Class III"
There is no such thing as a "Class III license"

You would apply for an FFL and after you go through the interviews, background check, and fingerprint process, you may pay an annual tax of $1000 yearly for your annual SOT Stamp. (Get the annual part?):s0114:

These are federal items, so they do not vary state to state.

If you are Googling for info, start with "How do I get an FFL?" or "FFL application"

Hope this helps.

I almost posted a question similar to this last week. I searched the forums and I've looked at the ATF website. I was wondering if there's already a thread here or another good spot someone knows of that's basically a "FFL for Dummies". Breakdown of all the classes, the app process, the money involved, wait times, Etc. Etc. I know for some on here these are elementary questions. But for some of us, it's not.

Why you guys making it sound so difficult?

I believe he was asking about Class III or otherwise called NFA items such as SBRs, silencers, fully automatic weapons, and "any other weapon." There's no need to get an FFL yourself to transfer a NFA item. I thought the basic rundown for a simple in-state transfer (unless you want to set up a trust, which there should be threads on) is filling out the Form 4, sending in your finger prints, getting the county sheriff to sign off, paying your $200 tax stamp to the US treasurer, and waiting. There shouldn't be any extra regulations in Oregon (covered under ORS 166.272).

There's an entire category of threads dealing with NFA items on this forum: NFA Weapons
Specifically: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/nfa-weapons/27227-devils-details-know-laws.html

The ATF's Handbook on NFA weapons is here: ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - National Firearms Act Handbook
Chapter 9 talks about Form 4 and there will be one in the appendix.

Ya, I think the process is so involved, it would be hard to condense into a reply in a thread.

You can call the ATF office in your area also.
They will be the ones interviewing you, so it helps them if you do everything right.
ATF Online - Firearms - How To - Become An FFL

Thankyou for that. I appreciate it. I was considering getting a dealer's license to make a little extra on the side. Just a small operation. Selling mostly to friends and my extremely huge family that all hunt and shoot. I figure that can't be too hard. I know the profit margin on firearms is pretty slim. At least that's what I've heard from a few different sources.

Why you guys making it sound so difficult?

I believe he was asking about Class III or otherwise called NFA items such as SBRs, silencers, fully automatic weapons, and "any other weapon." There's no need to get an FFL yourself to transfer a NFA item. I thought the basic rundown for a simple in-state transfer (unless you want to set up a trust, which there should be threads on) is filling out the Form 4, sending in your finger prints, getting the county sheriff to sign off, paying your $200 tax stamp to the US treasurer, and waiting. There shouldn't be any extra regulations in Oregon (covered under ORS 166.272).

There's an entire category of threads dealing with NFA items on this forum: NFA Weapons
Specifically: http://www.northwestfirearms.com/nfa-weapons/27227-devils-details-know-laws.html

The ATF's Handbook on NFA weapons is here: ATF Online - Publications - Firearms - National Firearms Act Handbook
Chapter 9 talks about Form 4 and there will be one in the appendix.

Thanks Dillo, this is the kind of info I needed. I didn't think it was necessary to apply for an FFL just for NFA's...

I think this is going to be my NEW sig line. ROFL:s0114::s0114::s0114:

What are MG's for?
Because if you are going to cry out, "Say Hello To My Little Fren" and you are holding a bolt action .22, you have no style.

That line is awesome!!!:s0155:

No problem. It was borrowed from another member on that site many years ago when someone had asked "What are MG's for". That was his reply and I asked if I could make it my sig line. Just never got around to setting my sig line up here.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top