JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking at purchasing what is likely a well used pistol (SiG) and my first used gun purchase. I was wondering if there is a good but not real technical (IE expensive) way to determine how "bored" out a barrel is. Obviously I'll pull the barrel out and take a look see but I'm not sure I can determine with any real accuracy how much wear is too much unless the grooving is missing in places. If the wear is consistent how loose can it be before I notice an accuracy issue.
Was wondering if I take a loose unfired slug and slip it in the barrel and shake it and listen for a rattle :s0114:

But seriously folks what say ye. I expect to get treated well by the guy but a new barrel is $150.00 so I'd like to make sure that we both are happy in the end. Ignorance is bliss and hind site is 20/20 right.

Don't worry about the barrel being shot out internally. Pistols are low velocity and have big bores when compared to rifles. They really don't burn the throats out like rifles do.

Look for crown damage and how tight the barrel locks up into the slide. Sigs always show wear marks on the outside of the barrel as normal wear.

Where you want to look closely at at Sig is the frame rails, assuming this is a aluminum frame pistols. If you see lots of silver metal wear on the frame rails, you're looking at excess wear or a very high round count. Golden color is ok as is the original black finish.

H

Halmbarte has some good advice. I would look for any pitting in the barrel from being stowed away dirty after some acidic ammo. and I migh check the barrel for a bulge (if you have a Mic or claipers) in case there was a squib on a double tap.

But on Sigs the places to look are the frame rails and also on the under side of the slide where the ridge slide accross the hammer face there is a spot where the ridge is only half width and you might see wear in this spot if it was run dry.

Thanks guys for reply. I do have some calipers. Figured I'd take my Sig along for comparison also. Actually hoping I can get him to come here as I can legally put a few down the pipe at my home without anybody blinking. Might be a different story in Lake Grove where he calls home :>)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top