JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
In those cases, drive to a public parking lot like a Fred Meyer store or Wal-Mart where there's lots of people and video surveillance EVERYWHERE, and park your car. Don't get out of the vehicle, but have your weapon ready to use if they get out of their car. MAKE them be the aggressor (on video) and do what needs doin'.

With all the eyeballs around they'll most likely beg-off and leave, but NEVER EVER lead them to your neighborhood let alone your house.
Police stations are a great place to lose someone following you. Most criminals are a bit averse to following you into the parking lot of one. Also, public parking lots are great, but I have to say local cops helped me out when someone was following me out from work. Someone came out to mycar and we chatted while they got far, far away.

I'm sorry if this comes off as a bit harsh. I mean no offense, but I think in situations like these it's better to be honest and direct.

I'm not sure you're doing yourself any favors by posting things like this on an open forum. Should the day ever come where you do need to shoot someone, an aggressive prosecutor could point to your post as an indication that you were clearly looking to shoot someone.

Because the fact that you need to ask this question at all and that you don't realize that the situation you were in CLEARLY is NOT justification to shoot someone, shows an extreme lack of knowledge of the laws, a clear lack of training, and likely a lack of judgement on your part. That will not bode well for you in the event that you ever do need to shoot someone.

Carrying a gun is an enormous responsibility. And there are very few meaningful requirements to obtain a permit to do so in the state of Washington. But this doesn't mean you shouldn't seek out qualified training from competent sources. A good self defense class...or several...will not only cover tactics and weapons handling but will also review the aspects of when it's appropriate to use deadly force...which you are clearly in need of.

There are also some decent books on the subject albeit they may not cover the entire nuances of the laws in your specific state. However, the book, "The Law Of Self Defense" by Andrew Branca is a good place to start. It's a bit dry reading given the topic but Branca is a widely respected attorney in self defense law with years of experience. It's also only $10 (give or take) in digital/E Reader format off of Amazon.
I second a ...:s0101:

I'd like to also recommend reading some Massad Ayoob as well...he has written many, many books on the topic from basic concealed carry books and books about using deadly force. There are "Rules of Engagement", know them, live them, love them.

I'd strongly recommend getting some pepper spray. Imagine this scenario: You're in a dark parking lot and some guy is obviously scoping you out. Then he comes walking toward you at a brisk clip. And he looks evil. Given just that, if you shoot him, you're going to go to jail. For a very long time. But if you spray him between the eyes with pepper spray, he might press charges and you might get in some trouble, but it'll be miniscule compared to shooting him.

Hello:
If you don't know without asking when its ok to esculate the situation to defend yourself then id have to say maybe you better not get involved but de esculate.
You don't even think about esculating in this situation just because you got followed .
Heck could be a person following that thought he was following his friend home and got confused.
You don't know neither do we but you sure don't need to ask when can I esculate in this situation.
We need common sense people for concealed carry not a person asking when its ok to esculate just because someone followed you .
Head Shot

Did I miss it somewhere in the thread....was the OP walking or driving?

From the bits and pieces I've gathered here, asking if it's ok to shoot someone if being followed is dangerous and irresponsible. No direct threat to one's life just from being followed. :rolleyes:

I agree with everything above. There are a lot of scenarios that could explain why he was following you and at the end of the day, go to a police station or busy parking lot, you will most likely end up much better in the end than if you shot the individual.

I agree with everything above. There are a lot of scenarios that could explain why he was following you and at the end of the day, go to a police station or busy parking lot, you will most likely end up much better in the end than if you shot the individual.

Exactly.

So after looking at this closer, the OP was asked about further details and provided none. Then just backed out of the thread altogether.

If anyone doesn't understand when it's right or wrong to use a firearm to protect themselves or their family, I would suggest a LOT more training. Plenty of good classes out there on personal defense with firearms.

Thread closed.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews