JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm just looking for ways to secure firearms in my apartment without a safe. I know they make small lockbox type safes but whats to stop someone from just stealing that and taking a cutting torch to it later.

I live in an apartment and would feel a lot better with at least a handgun, but then I'd worry about someone stealing it and committing a crime with my serial #. I don't really plan to have an arsenal here, maybe just 1 handgun and 1 rifle.

A lot of the smaller safes can be bolted to other things. So if you have any secure shelves that you can bolt it to, and hopefully that would be enough deterrent to theft. Although not perfect, it is probably as secure as you are going to get without any permanent modifcations to your apartment. Also you can get a locking gun cabinet or locker, they are not as sturdy as a safe, but usually to big to carry away.

Also, the safes can usually be bolted from the inside, so if you use a bolt with a round head, then they pretty much cannot take the safe, unless they get it open, or cut whatever it is bolted to off and take it all.

I lot of it really depends on the size and quantity of firearms you are wanting to secure. A single handgun is relatively easy... several rifles, not so much.

Anything is better than nothing. The little safes are probably your best option. You can even get ones that have a proximity alarm on them that will sound off when it is moved.

Your best protection from theft is not telling/showing anybody you don't trust (i.e., nobody) your guns.

So many burglaries happen because so-called "friends" got an eyeful of the goodies and came back later.

Show US your pieces, and keep the casual acquaintances clueless.

When I had an apartment, I bought a 8 gun security "cabinet" for $100 and bolted it to 200 pounds of flat weight plates. Not ideal but I figured it would make it a lot harder to get out of the apartment. Probably weighed about 300 pound with the guns in it. I had it in the closet next to the hot water heater and ran a cable and pad lock around the pipes also.

Yeah they were weight lifting plates. Technically it was 180 pounds, I used four 45 pound plates. I got them off craigslist really cheap. The olympic style plates are recessed in the center and the rim around the edge gave me enough room to run a couple of bolts through them and they still laid flat.

Yet another use for free weights. People spend hundreds of dollars on fancy home gym setups when all you really need to stay fit is a bench, some plates, and a pair of running shoes. I lift to bulk up (6'5" 285lb) so I can tackle the fool who breaks in and tries to steal my guns. Or you can do the safe thing...

-Steve

When I had an apartment, I bought a 8 gun security "cabinet" for $100 and bolted it to 200 pounds of flat weight plates. Not ideal but I figured it would make it a lot harder to get out of the apartment. Probably weighed about 300 pound with the guns in it. I had it in the closet next to the hot water heater and ran a cable and pad lock around the pipes also.

Can it store rifles?

I live in an apt as well. I bought a rifle safe for $89, I have not bolted it down. But if I was going to be here longer I would just put some lag bolts through the back into a stud. It will only make a small maybe 1/2in hole that's easy to patch and most likely wont even need to paint. I would however bolt it in the back and on one of the sides. So you would need to put it in a corner. Use a closet or spare room.

Yeah it holds rifles, it's an 8 gun "safe" but that's pretty optimistic 6 is more realistic. I tossed the shelf that came with it in the scrap pile and made my own shelf for the top that was deeper so it holds my handguns and rifles, although it's getting pretty full and I think I'll buy another one soon. Were renting a house now and will be here for a while so I have it lag bolted to the floor and a stud behind the safe. When I get another one I'm going to do the same and also bolt them together.

Yeah it holds rifles, it's an 8 gun "safe" but that's pretty optimistic 6 is more realistic. I tossed the shelf that came with it in the scrap pile and made my own shelf for the top that was deeper so it holds my handguns and rifles, although it's getting pretty full and I think I'll buy another one soon. Were renting a house now and will be here for a while so I have it lag bolted to the floor and a stud behind the safe. When I get another one I'm going to do the same and also bolt them together.

Cool and where did you find it at?

Most places that have guns carry them, Joe's, Cabelas or Sportsman's Warehouse. It's just a standard 8 gun cabinet. I got mine at Cabelas. Runs about $100 dollars.

Well if it is just a handgun, this is a good way.

101292i_ts.JPG

101292_ts.jpg

here is the link to buy it...

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class