Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How safe are reloads?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by plinkermike, Feb 5, 2014.

1. plinkermike

plinkermike vancouver, washington New Member

Hey guys, so i bought a couple firearms from a private sale today and he thru in 50rounds of .380 and 50rnds of .38spcl. To me from the few details i picked up on they seem to look like reloads. And so my question is how safe are reloads? Im pretty skeptical to using them, i dont want to turn my firearms into hand grenades. Whats the worst that can happen if say they have triple the powder by some poor measurements.
    Thanks
    Mike

2. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Do they have the load data on the box?
    Are they private or commercial reloads?

Sgt Nambu and (deleted member) like this.
  3. 2Wheels4Ever

2Wheels4Ever Portland Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer

Pull them, to me it is not worth the risk. Not so much as the guns well being but rather that of my own.

4. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

ANY load is only safe if done correctly. There is no factual way to gauge how good any ammo is. Factory ammo is often bad, just take the current recall of Winchester ammo.

So even if you reload you own it is only as safe are you can make it. Are you 100% sure you did every step and did it right? Are you 100% sure all of your equipment was working right?

Now with that said when determining if reloaded ammo is "safe" you have to take odds, just like any ammo. How much does that person reload? Are they easily distracted or use altering substances? Did they mark what the load is so that you can check it against known good loads? Is this from a batch that was loaded and has already had lots of this ammo run though it?

The only 100% safe thing to do is pull it down. Then if you feel like reloading it yourself you will be the one responsible for what happens.

PaulZ, Hook686, bnsaibum and 5 others like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner You'll Never Know Well-Known Member

Yours - If you trust your work and you pay attention to detail, OK!

Others - Questionable...

Unknown source - Never!!

6. 40calruler

40calruler Lake Oswego Well-Known Member

Very much agreed. Unless you can be sure you know the persons reloading skills to be excellent or you are sure they are factory I would not put myself in harms way to save a few bucks on ammo. As 2Wheels said more you at risk than the gun. Not worth taking your hand, eye, whatever out. If you are asking the question you should have the answer.

evltwn and (deleted member) like this.
  7. bellarum

bellarum beaverton Well-Known Member

All of the above. I don't trust any one else's hand loads. Neither should you. If you hand load take them apart, toss the powder and primer and start over beginning with weighing the projectile then inspecting the case. If you don't hand load maybe offer them up to someone that does so they can take them apart for components. OR... fire them yourself at your own risk. Side note: inspect the firearms you purchased closely for any signs of failure. Could be the reason they were for sale. You never know. You have no clue what hand loads went through them. Good luck!

8. LogicBomb

LogicBomb Grants Pass Active Member

how safe are reloads...I dunno wouldn't trust them

how safe are MY reloads....VERY...I trust my life and my family's safety to them

Classic and (deleted member) like this.
  9. 40calruler

There is one person on this forum that I would take reloads from and he has answered the question here that you should not trust. Reason I would trust his is that I have seen his setup, shop, and how he cares for everything related to his firearms. Have had numerous transactions and every trade he has handed me has been a flawless gun. Other than someone like that you got them from I say do what bellarum said to do.

10. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Not too side track this topic too much but it brings up an interesting question.

You go out shooting with a buddy, or even someone you are basically "work" friends with, ect. They bring their toys out too shoot and have been "blasting away". They offer to let you shoot it, and you want to. The only "problem" is all the ammo is hand loaded, do you still shoot it?

11. PaulZ

PaulZ Oregon City Active Member

Personally I would take a random sample say 1 out of 10 and take them apart to see what type powder etc. I think it is difficult to load these two
    cartridges much beyond safe.

12. 40calruler

If they have been blasting away I would likely trust their ammo.

13. Barachiah

Barachiah Eastern Oregon at last Active Member

.38 special can easily be overloaded, as can .380 if the wrong kind of powder was used. I don't trust unknown reloads and am skeptical of people I know's reloads. Not worth my gun hand to save $25 in ammo...

14. Velzey

Velzey Estacada, Oregon Gunsmith Gunsmith Bronze Vendor Bronze Supporter

Nope no way! Pull the bollits and save the brass and primers, and reload yourself!

15. DoubleTapDrew

DoubleTapDrew Oregon Well-Known Member

I'd probably pull them down and load my own. Or you could ask him "how accurate are they". If the answer is "I dunno I double charged some" I'd toss em.

16. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

I don't even trust the oil changer guys.. about destroyed my bubblegume 3/3 the very few times I've used them over the years (and many people I've known have had their engines/trannys destroyed) and would have had I not checked their work/been vigilant. There's no way to verify a loaded round, factory or reload, save pulling it. The best way is to load them yourself while verifying each and every step.. but only you will actually "know".

17. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

I would never shoot any reloads other than my own.
    I have seen too many guns and people damaged by
    bad loads and not all were by careless people, but
    in most cases by people that became overconfident and
    slacked off on the double check that they used when they began.
    I trust only my own.
    No exceptions other than an established commercial
    reloading company.
    Better safe than damned sorry.

18. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Unknown reloads? Uh Uh! Only my own or someone I trust implicitly. pull them!

19. plinkermike

plinkermike vancouver, washington New Member

Thanks guys i wont be using these. If i were able to reload myself i definitely would, but i have no idea how orhave the tools to do so.

20. Phillyfan

Phillyfan Oregon City, Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

First thing that popped into my head when I read the title was, "Depends on who loaded them."