JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How readily do you add a new cartridge to the line-up?

• Don't give it a second thought. Add or not add.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • Will add a new one, but only after some thought.

Votes: 29 35.8%
  • Generally shy away from it, but will in certain circumstances.

Votes: 22 27.2%
  • No, not adding a new one, for any reason.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Um, eh, (bromp!) wut wuz duh ques'n, eh-gain?

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters
Wow! How many different chamberings?

P
Chamberings? Sorry if I dont get your meaning. I have several in their early black powder variants. Dang, didn't realize I have so many different calibers hanging about!

So far I have
.22 short
.22LR
.25 auto
.32 auto
.32 s&w blackpowder
.38 s&w blackpowder
.38 s&w smokeless
.38 special
9mm Luger
.41 rimfire
.45 acp
.30 carbine
.30-30
.30-06
.35 Remington
7.62x39
7.7 jap
8mm
16 gauge smokeless
16 gauge pinfire
12 gauge smokeless
12 gauge blackpowder

And 4
.50 cal muzzleloaders

Edit, I forgot 7.35 Carcano

Last Edited:
Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't specific enough.

To me, caliber is the size of the hole in the barrel, so 30 Carbine, .30-30, and .30/06 are all the same caliber. Same sized hole in the barrel. Chambering refers to the cartridge (30 Carbine is a different cartridge than the .30-30, .30/06, etc, hence different chambering).

So I count 16 calibers in your collection, sure enough. That's a lot!

P

last christmas i saw a savege rifle at cabelas in 350 legend. for under $400. with scope. i did not buy it because i already have a contender 357 maximum carbine barrel. but i thought that would be perfect for a beginner. to hunt blacktail . light recoil etc. also when ammo was impossible to find 350 legend was everywhere, even at walmart. so anybody else looked at 350 legend?

last christmas i saw a savege rifle at cabelas in 350 legend. for under $400. with scope. i did not buy it because i already have a contender 357 maximum carbine barrel. but i thought that would be perfect for a beginner. to hunt blacktail . light recoil etc. also when ammo was impossible to find 350 legend was everywhere, even at walmart. so anybody else looked at 350 legend?
I've highly considered it. The only downside is that it looks like the reloading market for it is zilch.

As for the subject at hand. There is a really 2 calibers I've strongly considered adding. 300 black, which I've owned before, and 350 legend. Both would be for suppressor host projects over anything else. Both would be obtained via a single shot rifle if I did get one. The 350 is readily available, whereas I missed the boat obtaining the single shot 300 black before Covid struck.

I've highly considered it. The only downside is that it looks like the reloading market for it is zilch.

As for the subject at hand. There is a really 2 calibers I've strongly considered adding. 300 black, which I've owned before, and 350 legend. Both would be for suppressor host projects over anything else. Both would be obtained via a single shot rifle if I did get one. The 350 is readily available, whereas I missed the boat obtaining the single shot 300 black before Covid struck.
.300 black is one I would consider as well, for similar reasons.

.300 black is one I would consider as well, for similar reasons.
I had the AAC H&R collaborative edition single shot back before I started collecting quiet things. It would cover the itch again. Though those are now rare and definitely a lot more than the $100 or so I paid for it or even the $200 or so I sold it for! CVA uses Bergara barrels in their single shots. They have a threaded 16" version of their scout v2 that would definitely make a fine quiet gun. The 20" 350 is actually still pretty small, but subsonic ammo was that cartridge second selling point and they definitely didn't do that great of a job marketing it for that.

Added the Swiss 7.5 some time back and regret it. Ammo is stupid rare and limited in selection when around but "oh man, ,$2,500 to manufacture that k31 today..." tickled me to stupidity and I bought one. My problem was I didn't research the ammo selection enough before buying the rifle.
my normal MO is to buy get an itch and if the itch happens to also eat a new cartridge I don't currently own, I'll bulk up on ammoz while at the same time researchinf/sourcing the arm I want. 300 WM and 65 CM are two I added in the past 5 years where I did exactly that and zero regrets there.

wait, what was the question?

lol

9mm
10mm
.45 ACP
.223/5.56
.300 BLK
.30-06
.270 Win

could do .38 spl or .357

doubt I'll bother doing anything else in my lifetime since I'm more interested in volume than variety and I already have plenty of variety.

I don't worry about the chambering. I've got:
9x19
9x18
9x17
.45 Colt
.44 Magnum
.22lr
.30 Carbine
.30-06
.303 Brit
8x57 IS
8x57 1888
.30 Remington
7mm Remington Magnum
12 gauge
.30 Mauser
.32 ACP
5.56x45 NATO
7.62x54r
.25 ACP
Probably a couple others I can't think of off the top of my head.

I'm also building a 6.5 Creedmoor, have 8 gauge ammo I need to build a gun for, and have a list of projects as long as my arm including .219 Donaldson Wasp, .375 Raptor, and 7-30 Waters that I'd like to do.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top