JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out in the woods in my area last Sunday scouting for trash to be cleaned up next weekend. I stopped at all shooting sites and talked with shooters. Most of them were families with kids. Great to see!

Out of the 24 people I talked with, 18 said they were familiar with NWFA. 4 said they were members and had seen our cleanup threads (2 of those had been here a while back only for the classifieds). 4 were from Sandy, OR, heard about NWFA, and were familiar with the wildcat area on Mt Hood but where unaware of the recent shooting enhancement done up there. It was a good ice breaker conversation and nice to be well received by perfect strangers.

At work, which is all around the metro area and mostly at businesses, I occasionally mention NWFA and am often surprised to learn how well known we are. And if they didn't know about us, they do now.

Of course I mostly chat with like minded people, as in; while out shooting or I happen to notice hunting/fishing or taxidermy on their walls, so my observations are a little on the 'stacked' side. (I don't think I'd be looking to strike up a conversation down at the local University campus or a Starbucks lounge:eek:).

Still, it's good to hear feedback from complete strangers and know they have a good respect for this organization.

Do you engage in conversation with strangers about NWFA? What feedback do you get?

In the last 4 days I have asked 3 people if they knew who John Muir was and none of them all over 50 had a clue. I found that very interesting.

Wasn't that Clark Kent's alternate identity? Just kidding John Muir was the original environmentalist among many other things. Just another Californian! Okay he really was quite the guy.

I ask folks if I know they're gun people. I have the opposite experience though, I find many folks don't know about NWFA, I'm actually kind of surprised. But then again, 3 years ago, I didn't know about it until someone brought it up during a private sale. Word of mouth works well I guess. I spread the word at every opportunity.

I ask folks if I know they're gun people. I have the opposite experience though, I find many folks don't know about NWFA, I'm actually kind of surprised. But then again, 3 years ago, I didn't know about it until someone brought it up during a private sale. Word of mouth works well I guess. I spread the word at every opportunity.

You've only been here three years? Hmmph, seem like you've been around forever!

I mention us when ever I'm around firearm owners...Looking at/for powders, bullets, guns, at the range. Yesterday I happened to be at the Johnson Creek gun Club when a crew of Portland firemen came in for THE inspection. On of them was a gun person and hadn't heard of us. for the most part it seem that there a LOT of gun folks that have never heard of us.

I think if you're not really a discussion forum/computer person you're not going to know of NWFA.com.

You've only been here three years? Hmmph, seem like you've been around forever!

I mention us when ever I'm around firearm owners...Looking at/for powders, bullets, guns, at the range. Yesterday I happened to be at the Johnson Creek gun Club when a crew of Portland firemen came in for THE inspection. On of them was a gun person and hadn't heard of us. for the most part it seem that there a LOT of gun folks that have never heard of us.

I think if you're not really a discussion forum/computer person you're not going to know of NWFA.com.

Seems like I've been here longer ;)

I didn't do forums until about 4-5 years ago. It was actually a transaction through Armslist that got me here - I can't remember the screen name of the guy that led me here, but the rest is history :p

Wasn't that Clark Kent's alternate identity? Just kidding John Muir was the original environmentalist among many other things. Just another Californian! Okay he really was quite the guy.

Actually he was a Scotsman. Who moved to Wisconsin He is the reason we have Yosemite, General Grant and Sequoia National Parks, And was influential working with Teddy Roosevelt to create other parks like Rainier and Grand Canyon.

Yes he was an environmentalist but he did some great things working with a Republican president.

I was always more of a Gifford Pichot fan myself.

Most of the guys I tend to hang out with at least know about the site, some are infrequent users. Most aren't self-employed, so they don't have to much time to hang around on forums.

I've met a few who have known about the site but most don't. I got some co workers on here and anyone I meet off armslist or Facebook that's reasonable easy to deal with and fair I mention it. Pore meme ets we get the better the classifieds get so why not spread the word.

Considering what you wrote here, it makes a good reminder - don't do what I've done before and send someone to "NWFA.com" - it's not the site address and won't take/re-direct you here. It's and easy mistake to make and I have to remind myself, since I always get here with a favorite or I'm already logged in, that the site address is "www.northwestfirearms.com"

I'm the only person I know here in Eastern England who knows about NWFA, but then I'm the only one I know who goes to Oregon once or twice a year, too.

It IS over 6000 miles away, yknow!

I'm connected here because I'm, uh, connected here.

upload_2016-5-3_20-17-42.png

I'm just tac, with Oregon on my mind.

Considering what you wrote here, it makes a good reminder - don't do what I've done before and send someone to "NWFA.com" - it's not the site address and won't take/re-direct you here. It's and easy mistake to make and I have to remind myself, since I always get here with a favorite or I'm already logged in, that the site address is "www.northwestfirearms.com"

Not been an issue....'till now! I don't tell people nwfa.....C O M. I do tell of the whole deal.

I'm the only person I know here in Eastern England who knows about NWFA, but then I'm the only one I know who goes to Oregon once or twice a year, too.

It IS over 6000 miles away, yknow!

I'm connected here because I'm, uh, connected here.

View attachment 290969

I'm just tac, with Oregon on my mind.

Hey Tac,

You should let a "few of us" know when you're running about in Oregon. I'd buy ya a pint, or two. :s0155:

Well, it's not fair that I introduce myself as the Volunteer Coordinator for Northwest Firearms. At that point, they automatically say "Oh yeah. I've heard of that." Therefore, I mostly get positive feedback. It could be, however, they may have never heard of NWFA. I suppose it makes them feel good to 'get on board' with the current conversation and make it sound like they are 'In-the-know' or 'with-it' on the subject. I'm not a reporter, nor a pollster, so, I don't tend to think in terms of statistical results.

I think I should change my tactics... Skip the intro and first ask, as a Joe-Blow, if they've ever heard of NWFA. Then ask if they are a member. Perhaps I would get more of a scientific survey result and be able to report on what's really going on out there.

I don't mind talking to strangers in the woods, or anywhere else. However, I do choose my conversations rather cautiously. If I'm not comfortable approaching someone who looks a bit shady, I won't. (Therefore, I'd never make a good reporter! So don't take my reports as gospel!).

It was good, however, to meet several folks, on a Sunday afternoon, who spoke openly (and what seemed like) candid about their awareness of NWFA.

Cogs

I've checked out all the forums around here and this is by far the most popular due to traffic and the frequency of the classifieds section. I call this place home

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top