JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It can happen to anybody who has even a one second lapse in focus or concentration.

I genuinely thank you again for the reminder. Having watched the armorer on my base put a 5.56 round up into the cement ceiling after first me and them him neglected to perform a simple clearing of the bore to my M16 like we had done hundreds (me) if not thousands (armor) of times before. I had removed the mag and handed it over (doh, proceedure was mag out, visually check chamber). That round made a fair sized spalling conical shaped hole up there and shook the stupidity out of both of us.

To this day when I come back from a range trip, I will not have a beer or even turn on the radio and then clean a weapon. Having forgotten a simple process and proceedure when 100% straight and present, I don't want any distractions or even 1% less mental capabilty when I need it most. Anyone who gets casual and think it can't happen to them is delusional.

Last Edited:
You did us a favor by sharing your story. And for giving 2aJay permission to share it on another forum, my respect for you went up another notch.

So happy for you that you have recovered your injury. Just one more comment about this post. 55 AIN'T AN OLD GUY! Being an old guy is ALWAYS 10 years older than you currently are! Let's see now I won't be an old guy until I hit 80. Then it will move to 90! Thems are the rules youngster. LOL!!!
I'm 65. Just didn't start shooting until I was 10. :)

C'mon..., I'm sure you've heard the old story...

Man says, 'I was the greatest bridge builder and architect! I designed the Eifer Tower, I designed the Brooklyn Bridge, I designed and built The Golden Gate Bridge! I am known as the greatest Bridge Builder and Architect! Then one night, I go out and get drunk and I suck one "clock" and from then on, all anyone ever calls me is a, "clocksucker."

... it coulda been worse!

We should get you a t-shirt
3560465.png

This could have been so much worse then it was, and while it sucks, it's a learning experience that you survived, so it may not seem so, but it's a win!
Me, I knocked out two teeth last year with a big socket wrench, and given I don't have dental insurance, I gotta make due with what it is!
It was one of those stuipd in a rush, need it done right the frick now or else every one dies kind of deals, and it sucked, but it got done and no one else got hurt!

How's your straight faced delivery? "Well, my gait was screwed for a while. Tried physical therapy, but in the end I just went ahead and shot the other one and everything's all evened up now, see?"

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top