JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
This is a question thread. Use the up arrow to the right of good answers to upvote. Answers with more votes appear higher on the list.
Status
Reactions
So we have this inbox for receiving private messages, but I was recently contacted by 3 people responding to a classified ad for some scopes that I posted, saying on the thread for the ad itself that they could not PM me, because my inbox was full.

The problem is that I never received any kind of warning that my inbox was full. Nor when I went to my inbox, could I even find any indication at all that it was full. I simply cannot see any way at all to check the status of my inbox, and find out how full it is. Am I missing something? I have looked and looked, all to no avail. Certainly there must be some way to check this, no??

Furthermore, I cannot find any function at all to delete old messages from my inbox. I see a function that says "leave conversation". But what exactly does that mean?? Will that actually delete the message, and free up space so that I can receive more PM's??

This truly has been exasperating. I have no idea at this time if my inbox is working, or how to prevent this from happening again, even if I do get it to work again.

I still have a few more odds and ends left over from my past gun collection that I would like to get rid of.

Surely your private message system cannot be this bad, can it? There has to be something that I am overlooking.

There's always armslist.

Oh, I pretty much sold my gun collection back in 2013, 2014 and early 2015. Sold most of them here, other than a few on Facebook, back before Facebook changes their rules. All I have now are some odds and ends that are left over, like these extra scopes that I have listed currently. This stuff has just been laying around, and I am finally getting around to unloading it. The Sightron, the Swift, and the Weaver were all on rifles that I owned. But I had buyers who only wanted the rifle they were on, and did not want to give me anything for the scopes. So I removed the scopes because of that. They are all solid, good scopes. The Sightron has exceptional clarity.

Part of my problem is that it appears that the software here has changed, since the time when I sold my guns.

I had my heart attack back in August of 2012, and I suffer from heart failure. So I am in very poor health, and struggle with doing just about everything these days.

Last Edited:

So I assume from looking at that, that there is no way to check the status of your inbox, and know how much space is available in it? Is that correct? And that the system will never warn you if your inbox is full?

Is there some kind of good rule of thumb that one can use, to help prevent your inbox from becoming full?

Last Edited:
So I assume from looking at that, that there is no way to check the status of your inbox, and know how much space is available in it? Is that correct? And that the system will never warn you if your inbox is full?

Is there some kind of good rule of thumb that one can use, to help prevent your inbox from becoming full?

I think I saw that you get a message count based on membership level. I think each donation level gets you a few more. I just remove myself from conversations when there is no need to reference it.

@Lance Jacobs
You have space for 25 messages in your "inbox"
Leaving the conversation will free up space...but you may want to check the "accept future messages" option to continue the conversation at a later date....
You also must keep track of the PM's , we have no "warning" for exceeding or getting close to the "full box" ... the PM's are numbered ...

And as noted above with a higher membership level , you get more "message space "....
Andy

So we have this inbox for receiving private messages, but I was recently contacted by 3 people responding to a classified ad for some scopes that I posted, saying on the thread for the ad itself that they could not PM me, because my inbox was full.

The problem is that I never received any kind of warning that my inbox was full. Nor when I went to my inbox, could I even find any indication at all that it was full. I simply cannot see any way at all to check the status of my inbox, and find out how full it is. Am I missing something? I have looked and looked, all to no avail. Certainly there must be some way to check this, no??

Furthermore, I cannot find any function at all to delete old messages from my inbox. I see a function that says "leave conversation". But what exactly does that mean?? Will that actually delete the message, and free up space so that I can receive more PM's??

This truly has been exasperating. I have no idea at this time if my inbox is working, or how to prevent this from happening again, even if I do get it to work again.

I still have a few more odds and ends left over from my past gun collection that I would like to get rid of.

Surely your private message system cannot be this bad, can it?
There has to be something that I am overlooking.

Just choose the box in your in box and select leave conversations on old ones. You can clean out your old messages that way.

I was confused about the same when someone told me my inbox was full. Then understanding what the heck "leave conversation" meant was a mind shift to me. As a programmer, I thought, "che cazzo?"
I believe before the V3.0 forum upgrade, it used to show a percentage full bar telling you how "full" your inbox was.

A klunky inbox interface is a small inconvenience compared to the enjoyment I get out of NWFA.

@Lance Jacobs , sorry to hear about your health issues. Good luck selling your scopes.

I have no idea what you mean to imply by saying such a thing. I thought that this was an area for people to get assistance with problems??

Laughing at my post does nothing to help.

Lance, I wasn't laughing at your post. Don't you remember how "fun" it was to program some of those VCR's back in the day with all those convoluted button-pressing combinations? That's what I was equating it to. ;)

PS, I just bought you a Bronze membership so you'll have a bigger inbox. Sorry to hear about your health issues. :(

Oh and reading I guess you didn't reinvest in the site with sale profits and hence why there was a limitation. Maybe keep that membership up with profits you make and then no more limitations.o_O Help the site help you help yourself ;)

Interesting. So because I do not have a paid membership, everyone, including this site's staff, will offer me zero assistance. I think that there is probably another much more likely explanation as to why everyone is not being helpful.

I see that another person posted a message asking for help with private conversations, and Joe Link immediately sent him a private message to help him test it right away to see if it was working for him or not. That is quite a big contrast, compared to the non-help that I have received here in this thread. Just like him, I also do not know if the steps that I have taken have freed up space, and made my inbox functional again. That is also my primary concern at this point too: whether my inbox is functional or not.

So the admins here have no way at all to check and see if my inbox is functional? You will not even send me a test message, like you did for Mephistopheles, who asked for help here with private conversations just a couple of days ago? You cannot even do that for me? Please tell me Admins, just why is that? Is it really because I do not have a paid membership? The differences between the response he received, compared to what I am getting here, is really quite telling.

I sold virtually my entire gun collection guys. All I am selling now are just a few leftover odds and ends, that I neglected to take care of. I'm so crippled from my knee and back injuries now that I can barely walk. I'm no longer participating in any of the shooting sports that I used to enjoy when I was still healthy. That is why I unloaded my gun collection. A lot of members of Northwest Firearms got some fantastic firearms at huge savings from my extensive collection that I had accumulated. My health is so bad off that I have even given up my other hobby of photography. Even just going places to take photos is too difficult for me now. I guess that none of you realize just how weak and disabled suffering from heart failure can make a person.

I've not worked in many years. and have very little retirement income. And I've sold stuff here at huge, gigantic financial losses.

No, I think that there is another reason why everyone here is being so unhelpful, and so critical of me.

Thanks guys, you are really a great bunch of fellows.

Lance, I wasn't laughing at your post. Don't you remember how "fun" it was to program some of those VCR's back in the day with all those convoluted button-pressing combinations? That's what I was equating it to. ;)

PS, I just bought you a Bronze membership so you'll have a bigger inbox. Sorry to hear about your health issues. :(

I'm sorry, but your post made zero sense at all. And you still posted a laughing icon in response to someone asking for help with a problem.

So really, there is no way for me to free up space in my inbox, and get it to be functional again? The only solution is to buy a paid membership?

Is that what everyone here is saying?

No, that's not what they (all of them anyway) were saying. Open your inbox, select any conversations that are in there, then select the "leave conversation" button to delete those conversations from your inbox, thus freeing up space.

In case you failed to notice, I bought you an upgraded gift bronze membership to help you out with your immediate inbox capacity issues.

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your health issues. Be well, Lance. ;)

-Tony

I'm sorry, but your post made zero sense at all. And you still posted a laughing icon in response to someone asking for help with a problem.

So really, there is no way for me to free up space in my inbox, and get it to be functional again? The only solution is to buy a paid membership?

Is that what everyone here is saying?

Did you use the link I posted? It will explain how to free up space as there is only so much space allotted for non supporting members. Besides that you received a FREE Bronze membership (upping your message space) from @Stomper then attack him for providing you more space so you could use the messaging system again without doing a thing.

I provided you the means to fix your situation and you are still on your soapbox tirade what gives?

YOU are not the only person here and for damn sure not the only one with medical issues and such. I will refrain from posting further on that issue.

Interesting. So because I do not have a paid membership, everyone, including this site's staff, will offer me zero assistance. I think that there is probably another much more likely explanation as to why everyone is not being helpful.

I see that another person posted a message asking for help with private conversations, and Joe Link immediately sent him a private message to help him test it right away to see if it was working for him or not. That is quite a big contrast, compared to the non-help that I have received here in this thread. Just like him, I also do not know if the steps that I have taken have freed up space, and made my inbox functional again. That is also my primary concern at this point too: whether my inbox is functional or not.

So the admins here have no way at all to check and see if my inbox is functional? You will not even send me a test message, like you did for Mephistopheles, who asked for help here with private conversations just a couple of days ago? You cannot even do that for me? Please tell me Admins, just why is that? Is it really because I do not have a paid membership? The differences between the response he received, compared to what I am getting here, is really quite telling.

I sold virtually my entire gun collection guys. All I am selling now are just a few leftover odds and ends, that I neglected to take care of. I'm so crippled from my knee and back injuries now that I can barely walk. I'm no longer participating in any of the shooting sports that I used to enjoy when I was still healthy. That is why I unloaded my gun collection. A lot of members of Northwest Firearms got some fantastic firearms at huge savings from my extensive collection that I had accumulated. My health is so bad off that I have even given up my other hobby of photography. Even just going places to take photos is too difficult for me now. I guess that none of you realize just how weak and disabled suffering from heart failure can make a person.

I've not worked in many years. and have very little retirement income. And I've sold stuff here at huge, gigantic financial losses.

No, I think that there is another reason why everyone here is being so unhelpful, and so critical of me.

Thanks guys, you are really a great bunch of fellows.

Andy and deadeye responded to you. They are staff members here. And even as staff we cannot access your convos. They are considered private.

Sorry about your health issues, but don't take it out on us.

Did you use the link I posted? It will explain how to free up space as there is only so much space allotted for non supporting members. Besides that you received a FREE Bronze membership (upping your message space) from @Stomper then attack him for providing you more space so you could use the messaging system again without doing a thing.

I provided you the means to fix your situation and you are still on your soapbox tirade what gives?

YOU are not the only person here and for damn sure not the only one with medical issues and such. I will refrain from posting further on that issue.

Well said!

FA2EF99E-D5A8-4A41-9F36-C89003886D7A.jpeg

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR