Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How old does a person have to be to buy or trade a handgun?

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Joe Link, Jul 15, 2010.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

This question was asked today, and I want to verify what I believed to be true. How old does a person have to be to buy, sell, or trade a handgun? If it's different based on state (OR, WA, ID), please be specific.

2. Mr. Black

Mr. Black Zigzag, OR Member

Source: http://www.leg.state.or.us/ors/166.html

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Thank you, that's what I believed as well. I had a person PM me today and tell me he contacted the OSP firearms division as well as the Portland ATF office and they both told him you absolutely had to be 21 years of age or older to purchase a handgun, period.

4. kaoboi503

kaoboi503 Gresham, OR Member

5. kaoboi503

kaoboi503 Gresham, OR Member

Dang, too late.

6. Zak

Zak Snohomish County New Member

For WA it's 18 with specific restrictions until 21. If I recall correctly an ffl can only sell a handgun to someone 21+ so it would have to be private sale.

RCW 9.41.240
    Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control

7. Joe Link

That's good guys, I'm happy you're posting this stuff. This needs to be discussed in order to spread correct information and dis-spell misinformation.

8. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

Idaho:

Idaho 18-3302A

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. pokerace

pokerace Newberg Well-Known Member

I would suggest that any one with questions about Oregon gun laws pruchase Kevin Starrett's book Understanding Oregon's Gun Laws.It will answer any question that I have seen posted on this forum.