JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was just reading the other discussion on what percentage of the time people actually carry and came up with a somewhat related question. Not wanting to hijack a perfectly nice discussion, I decided to start a new one...

How often do you suggest someone carry concealed, particularly when just starting out? Is it best to have it on as much as possible, only when away from home for more than a few hours, only in "dangerous" situations or areas, etc.?

Is there a benefit to carrying most of the time, or conversely, only when "necessary"? Is it a habit that breeds complacency or does it help you keep your edge? What do you think is best? Why?

I have my own opinions, now I'm just curious what y'all think so any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Amy

I carry whenever I am out of my house or yard, and have since the day I started. Other folks carry in their house as well as out. Some folks only carry when they anticipate entering a dangerous situation, like going to 7/11 on MLK and Killingsworth at 2AM. Personally, I feel that a person is at a disadvantage if he or she isn't carrying whenever away from home, as one never knows when danger is to strike.

Keith

Having found a holster that you are comfortable wearing for long periods of time, I'd jump in with both feet and start carrying anytime you leave the house. It will teach you several things: to be very aware of your surroundings in different locations, how your new holster is working for you and last just learning to be comfortable wearing a handgun on your person as you go about your day.
I've only had my permit for app 6 months so I learned these points almost immediately when I started to carry.
Note, I've gone through several different holster/gun combos in that time to suit the different seasons and type of apparel.
Sorry to run on but as another newbie carrier, just throwing out what I've learned.:D

I carry whenever I am out of my house or yard, and have since the day I started. Other folks carry in their house as well as out. Some folks only carry when they anticipate entering a dangerous situation, like going to 7/11 on MLK and Killingsworth at 2AM. Personally, I feel that a person is at a disadvantage if he or she isn't carrying whenever away from home, as one never knows when danger is to strike.

Keith

+1 I carry whenever I am away from home and while at home always have pistol or shotgun within arms reach.

carry you ccw everytime all the time. I carry the house as often as you can. When you start out its uncomfortable and awkward for most folks. The more you carry the more second nature it becomes. The more comfortable you are carrying a gun the better off you will be. If you are nervous about it all the time, you shouldn't be carrying at all. Know yourself, know your weapon and be comfortable with what both can do and you will be set.

carry you ccw everytime all the time. I carry the house as often as you can. When you start out its uncomfortable and awkward for most folks. The more you carry the more second nature it becomes. The more comfortable you are carrying a gun the better off you will be. If you are nervous about it all the time, you shouldn't be carrying at all. Know yourself, know your weapon and be comfortable with what both can do and you will be set.

Well said.

I carry from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. I feel like if you don't carry everywhere you will start to carry less and less, as it's easier to not do it and getting into the habit of occasional carry is a bad idea, IMO. Just treat it like a wedding ring, it never comes off (obviously unless your sleeping or taking a shower).

ApronAmy,
I started the other discussion...now having said that, IMHO you should carry as often as you are comfortable carrying. There is no possible way to "know" when a situation will be dangerous only when you can perceive it to be dangerous. Bad things happen in every facet of society, neighborhood and time of year. Even in your own home All you have to do is watch the news, read the paper etc.. the more you carry, the more it becomes second nature and the more comfortable you become. :s0155:
Remember that when seconds count, the police are only minutes away!

Whatever your choice, I commend you on your choice to not be a victim!

Matt

Either carry it 200% of the time or 0%. My opinion is simple. You never know when danger is lurking. It doesn't have to be the ghetto or at night for freaks to come out. Would you really want to say to yourself, if I had carried that day, he/she would still be here?

Just one manchilds opinion, stick to whatever YOU decide.

Just to add a new wrinkle to the question...

I am not allowed (nor would I choose) to carry at work - company policy that I completely agree with and would never think of breaking - so do I wear the gun to work and lock it up in my car before I go in? I will automatically be without it within my reach nine hours a day, most days, so that kind of rules out carrying 100%.

I carry from the moment I wake up to the moment I go to sleep. I feel like if you don't carry everywhere you will start to carry less and less, as it's easier to not do it and getting into the habit of occasional carry is a bad idea, IMO. Just treat it like a wedding ring, it never comes off (obviously unless your sleeping or taking a shower).

I also carry a .380 in my bathrobe pocket also.

I can't wear a wedding ring, my hands swell up too much. l also used to get severe hives and the Dr's never did figure out why, even on the palms of my hands and bottoms of my feet.

The "Trade Rating" is low by 3
Not everyone posts it I guess.

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
SWWAC member

I am not allowed (nor would I choose) to carry at work - company policy that I completely agree with and would never think of breaking - so do I wear the gun to work and lock it up in my car before I go in? I will automatically be without it within my reach nine hours a day, most days, so that kind of rules out carrying 100%.

Yes.:s0155:

One reason I carry all the time: you never know what might be waiting at home. If some one manages to get in my house, it will be harder for me to get to my safe. I would prefer to have a firearm with me going in, rather than be unarmed and surprised by an intruder..

Absolutely! The only time I don't carry is when it is legally not an option, if not carrying at work is a condition of employment, well then by your employers "law" it is legally not possible.

carry you ccw everytime all the time. I carry the house as often as you can. When you start out its uncomfortable and awkward for most folks. The more you carry the more second nature it becomes.

When I started carrying the first couple days I was a little nervous about it. Now it feels really weird to NOT carry. :s0112:

Here's my story........I didn't carry for the first year becuase I was silly enough to not buy a good belt or a good holster. Now that I have a good holster and a good belt(don't fool yourself into trying to use a belt you buy from Macy's or Fred Meyer, etc.

Then I got off my duff and ordered a belt and holster from Ted Blocker(the best part is they are local and you can pick up from them in their showroom as well), there's also Lightning Arms(think I spelled it all right), hear great things about them, but I have not been there.

Then I carried about 1/2 the time, because it just didn't feel natural. Slowly that improved, I felt less self-concious(you will swear EVERYONE will be looking at you for the first month or so).
The last transition to carrying 99% of the time, I bought a Smith 442 and a pocket holster. I know it's a compromise, but I carry it EVERYWHERE and love it.

My next transition will probably be back to my M&P 40 with a different holster configuration.

I echo the feeling of it being weird not carrying, I literally feel naked with a gun with me. I do forget occasionally to be honest, rolling out the door with 2 kids in tow, late to whatever function, but it's for 10-15min., I'll turn around and go back home if I roll out the door without my handgun.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top