JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Shooting is like any other activity that requires motor skills. If not exercised the skill deteriorates.

In order to maintain proficiency, how often do you go to the range? When there, how much do you shoot?

For me it's once per week. When there I shoot at least 50 rounds through my "bolt action", or when shooting one of my AR's it's around 300 rounds. Pistol is no less than 100 rounds and often as many as 500. I try to follow specific exercises rather than just "blasting".

I'm retired so I have the time. Also a key to the Gun Club Gate.

What about others here? What do you do to develop and preserve your skills.

lately I been shooting as much as I can afford too. Sometime I just go out with 20-30rnds, do some hiking and shooting. but as far as 'practice' shooting I would say once a week, sometimes up to 3. 100-250rnds or so each time. shooting my pistols and AR's. Its really impossible to stock up on ammo practicing like this though. But I can't help it ;)

I try to go every other week. Mostly shooting my custom 10/22's and my 22/45. .22 ammo is relatively cheap, and I can keep my skills sharp without breaking the bank. I only shoot the centerfire stuff once a month, but that will increase after I finish my AR build.

Cost prevents me from shooting as much as I would like. I typically go once a month and put 200-400 rounds down range. I use snap caps to do some drills at home to supplement my training.

I usually shoot when friends come over and want to do some. I just go out in the back of my place or set a target up in the field at 100yrds when using rifles. It's not much fun shooting by yourself to me so it's not as often as I would like to.

I use to a bit, then move in town a few years back. Then when I moved back to the country I shot a lot for several months. Lately it has been hardly just due to time and the idea that I can do it anytime I want again.

I usually do get a few rounds down range at least once when I am home though.

Once a week for wife and me. 100 rounds of rimfire and 5o rounds of center fire each (different cal each week, 380, 9mm, or 45). Wish I could shoot as well as the wife. Ed

Usually I alternate between trap shooting and pistol/rifle. If the schedule allows, I go once every other week. When it's nice out, I do a lot more trap shooting. In the colder months, I tend to more pistol.

Average about once a week.... 35+ rounds centerfire rifle. Try to practice positions and improvised shooting rests at least every other week. I hand load to keep costs down and accuracy up. Always long range, unless I'm doing load development.

Once a week if the weather permits. Usually 120 rounds each of centerfire pistol and rifle each time. Less rounds for more expensive calibers (.45 ACP, 7.62 NATO). Every other week I'll add a brick of 22LR.

I try to shoot about once a week. Does not always work out that way. You certainly need the practice. I've put over 4500 rounds through my XD in the last year and I think I am 'just' getting to the point where I can confidently say the round will go where I want it, especially after a few recent breakthroughs with stance and grip. Maybe training would have gotten me there faster.....bottom line, the hours with the pistol have paid off.

Well,it was a beautiful day today,but needed tires.And we get a little less rain up here but the wind is ferocious.
Well I guess I could practice doping the wind huh?

Not nearly enough.And I have 2 rifles with new scopes to try out too.

.22 lr rifle and pistol a couple nights a week here on our place. Open irons rifle from standing, sitting, and prone unsupported. Scoped rifle from supported prone or table. I shoot until I'm bored of it.

Trying to get out every other weekend - in between fishing - as I plan to do both more this summer. I need to get out to use up the massive amounts of reloading supplies and components that are being given to me lately - it is becoming overwhelming and I am running out of room for them!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top