JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How often do you live fire your defensive carry gun(s)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Varies a bit due to a bonkers schedule, what I'm grinding through that week, and how craptastic the weather and/or fire season is. But it is somewhere between the weekly to few times a month zone, averaged out. I try to fit it in even if not feeling; for example, I was up on the northwestern end of the property today getting ready for a project and I did a bit of shooting with a .44 on the way back. (The question is on carry weapons; opened up to other pews and it is going to vary wildly. In the past, a lot. Now, having largely lost interest, it is minimal, with the occasional exception.)

I've got a 4in steel gong about 40 yards off my back porch. I'll take a shot or two at it at least once a day with a .22lr. I'd say I shoot larger caliber guns, including my carry once or twice a month.

What about for firing blanks?

never mind
1664670259007.png

Aloha, Mark

I went out to the range yesterday.

Took the Vetterli in 10.4x38mmR (.41 Swiss) rimfire and shot about 30 rounds of it. Only 4 rounds failed to fire the first time but rotating them in the chamber a bit and trying again worked for all four. Lowest setting on sight is 200m. I was shooting at 50 yards, aiming at the bottom of the black circle (pumpkin-on-a-post). Probably shouldn't have had the Starbuck's Doubleshot Mocha on the way to the range. :s0074:

IMG_20221003_123458566_HDR.jpg Vetterli 50yd target.jpg

Took a short video of shooting it. First shot in slo-mo, the rest in real-time.

I took my 5" 629 44 mag to test fire a new bullet and also took my Taylor and Co. 38-40 to test my ammo and my 1911 bowling pin to practice with today. All guns/loads worked well as expected. I was only at the range for about an hour and because I own an ammo company some might say I was "working"

What is ccw? Is that the armed security license?
CCW = Conceal/concealed carry weapon.

That is what IT was called in my former state. OPEN CARRY was legal and it was NOT uncommon to see!

But CCW was NOT legal due to a lying sack of dung R governor and he did what the FOP and state patrol - troopers wanted which was NO LOADED GUN allowed INSIDE your vehicle and NO concealed carry for peons.

Plus the R AG at the time was AGAINST CCW too. He was another Republican liar (HE still is just like the Dems are!) but he got elected for another HIGHER UP office but he was/is a total PIP SQUEAK in the RKBA issue. He came around due to the PEOPLE who DEMANDED some things in the RKBA issue.

It was one of the last remaining TOP 7 ANTI CCW STATES IN THE NATION. A Democrat governor changed this AFTER I moved.

Disclaimer: I did NOT move to this state for GUN RIGHTS. I moved for my retirement. This was one of two states that I planned on with my late husband only he never got to officially retire from his NON .gov job since he barely made it to 56 years old.

I would NEVER EVER move to another state or country just for GUN RIGHTS or the RKBA issue. There are too many OTHER FACTORS that I would take into consideration for a small or large move MILEAGE WISE even if I moved with VERY few belongings as a widow.

And the way this country is going and is so DIVIDED in all ways - it almost makes me want to LEAVE IT!

The inmates are running the asylum. Senile land - Crazy land! Ugh.

In MT and other states - they call CCW other names.

In MT - they call it a concealed weapons permit.

MT and other states, including my former state, have changed their gun laws too.

Old Lady Cate

ADDED MORE.

Last Edited:
I am NO longer a high volume shooter and I no longer own, shoot or carry handguns.

I always shot a VARIETY of handguns (Glock, Smith and Wesson and Ruger single action revolvers.) in several calibers (CF and RF) and a 'few RF and CF rifles' for years on end. I owned MORE handguns than rifles years ago too.

I always owned and shot MORE HANDGUNS than rifles until I got out of shooting handguns due to my hand issues, old accident issues and arthritis.

I shot for self defense practice and for pleasure. I competed some too. I shot a LOT and often back east and out here.

I did not and do NOT consider all of MY types of shooting and all of MY firearms ONLY for 'defensive' purposes.

Although the MAIN REASONS why I FIRST got into buying/shooting my OWN firearms was for the RKBA issue (#1) and for self defense issues (#2).

And not just using the 'house gun' of my late husband's. I wanted to LEARN more about firearms and shooting. It was MY own decision not given to me by any person or by my late husband. He did encourage me to pursue my interest! Late 90's.

I shot to become a proficient shooter and I enjoyed a VARIETY of my firearms in various calibers.

I enjoyed and I never regretted any firearm that I owned too.

I put shooting right UP there with reading, hiking, swimming, sail boats and power boats.

I do NOT shoot that much any longer. Every so many months due to my physical issues. (I did not answer your poll.)

When I do go shooting with my MT husband, I shoot 2 CZ bolt action rifles in 22wmr and in 22lr. I still use iron sights AND I still shoot standing up. Sometimes, I walk up to the firing line with my cane on a bad day - set it down and start to shoot. I do NOT have to use a cane all of the time too.

My husband shoots a few times per week using various firearms. Handguns and rifles. CF and RF!

He does NOT go to the range 5 to 7 times per week as he did for a LONG time since he retired. Even during the 'flu' time. OUR RANGE stayed open as the woods/wilderness did too. Grin. But he does go TWICE a week and sometimes three times per week right now. YEAR ROUND even when there is ICE/SNOW on the ground and it is bitter cold.

We have OTHER interests too. They are NOT only in firearms or in shooting.

I gave my last 2 rifles to my husband but I still use them.

I use my own and very SPECIFIC knives much more than I do those rifles too.

Old Lady Cate

As I recall from my reading days, the Second Amendment makes no mention of the loaded or unloaded condition of a firearm. Just like here in UK, there are way too many people trying to reinterpret a very simple statement and make it into a political manifesto.

As I recall from my reading days, the Second Amendment makes no mention of the loaded or unloaded condition of a firearm. Just like here in UK, there are way too many people trying to reinterpret a very simple statement and make it into a political manifesto.
Well, the POLITICIANS in this country (Left and Right!) and other L and R people made it into that - one big cluster eff when it comes to the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment IS a very simple statement. PLAIN as day as you said.

Take care!

Cate

Well, the POLITICIANS in this country (Left and Right!) and other L and R people made it into that - one big cluster eff when it comes to the Second Amendment.

The Second Amendment IS a very simple statement. PLAIN as day as you said.

Take care!

Cate
I've just translated the 2nd Amendment into Welsh for the Welsh-speakers here - and I have to say that it both looks and sounds utterly thunderous!!

'Ni fydd milisia sydd wedi'i rheoleiddio'n dda, sy'n angenrheidiol i ddiogelwch gwladwriaeth rydd, hawl y bobl i gadw a dwyn breichiau, yn cael ei thorri!'

How often do I shoot live ammo ?
Every time I go shooting.
However that time does not happen as often as I would like.

With that said...
My mindset towards shooting and firearms is a bit different than most.
I do not have a dedicated home defense or self defense firearm.
I would however use whatever firearm I have on hand to the best of my ability.

Please note that I am not against someone having firearms solely for the purpose of home or self defense.
One should be able to own whatever firearm one wants , without having to provide a reason or need.

I am just of the mindset that I own firearms , because I want to.
I enjoy the ownership and shooting of firearms.
If I were in a position to defend my home or self with a firearm...
One could have the dubious honor of being faced with anything from a modern firearm like my 1911 or a antique flintlock.
It would be whatever I had on hand at that moment.
Calibers would be a range as well , since I have firearms from .22LR to .72 caliber.

Now I do understand that some firearms are better suited to certain purposes more than others.
I am however , not going to roll over and wait to die if all I have to defend myself is a firearm , that many others would consider as not a defensive firearm.
Andy

Exactly Andy, I was a juror on a murder trial and was asked If I own any firearms, I said yes, then was asked how many, I replied 18. Last question was how many were for home defence I aswered all of them.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top