JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How often do you live fire your defensive carry gun(s)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reactions
Tried to fashion a poll that wouldn't be taken in a weird way (you guys from the last poll know who you are…).

Considering taking training from a competent instructor to personal dry practrice to live fire, how often do you put rounds through your defensive carry gun(s)? Ammo costs are a definite factor right now so no judgements on what you can afford. Just wondering what defensive shooters consider 'enough' to keep them competent in the current environment…

Well, your poll didn't ask about defensive carry guns, just how often I go shooting. This week it was carbine shooting.:s0085:

It really, REALLY depends on what I'm doing. If I'm developing a load, it's several times per week, even per day if I think I got a sweet spot. Leading up to deer season, at least once a week but during a dead of winter or heat of summer it might be a month or two between outings. Handguns are much the same story, though they tend to be shot when the rifles are cold and vice versa

Tried to fashion a poll that wouldn't be taken in a weird way (you guys from the last poll know who you are…).

Considering taking training from a competent instructor to personal dry practrice to live fire, how often do you put rounds through your defensive carry gun(s)? Ammo costs are a definite factor right now so no judgements on what you can afford. Just wondering what defensive shooters consider 'enough' to keep them competent in the current environment…
o.

You asked how many times we fire live ammunition, but then your question morphed into dry-firing or otherwise of your defensive carry guns.

I could answer your title question, but not the one you were REALLY asking.

Sorry.

Just wondering what defensive shooters consider 'enough' to keep them competent in the current environment…
If that is the crux of your question, I think that really varies an a multitude of factors. Previous training, length of time with a particular platform, personal shooter characteristics, etc.

IMHO, the real question being, how often and how many rounds down range do YOU consider sufficient to maintain your desired level of proficiency. The interval and amount can vary geatly from person to person. Obviously, someone that's been working the same platform for years and long ago attained what they feel is within their acceptable envelope of proficiency will "require" less frequent invervals and fewer rounds to keep their skills toned than someone working up a "newer to them" platform.

That said, I think much boils down to trial and error. Set a schedule for yourself and adjust it as needed.

When I go shooting (at least once a month or more) I shoot a variety of guns, including those I may carry, or consider 'defensive carry guns'

Bottom, line is I shoot for sport and as a hobby, with 'defensive use' just part of the equation and not a primary reason.

Thanks to the magic Barrels of Traffic talismans sprinkled wokefully throughout the land, field expedient function testing can now be done quietly and conveniently.
Thanks, ftards!

What about for firing blanks?

never mind

590240CD-A075-4288-80A6-B4FF8D2E03D0.jpeg 43BD7525-0A9F-4524-872F-158127A26DD2.png

I try an shoot my carry gun weekly. When it is 112 Deg outside, I'll miss a few days, But weekly is most accurate.
I have been shooting the same gun for awhile. This is just about keeping up my skills.
Now that I am retired and have the time, I'm looking at classes in getting the most from a small gun, and a low light class. DR

When I go shooting (at least once a month or more) I shoot a variety of guns, including those I may carry, or consider 'defensive carry guns'

Bottom, line is I shoot for sport and as a hobby, with 'defensive use' just part of the equation and not a primary reason.
This is my way of doing it. I have several guns that are regular carry. My hands down favorite is one of the 1911's which are also one of my favorites to shoot for fun. So that of course works great. :D
Little 11 shot 9mm which is a warm weather carry is not much fun. Even with cheap ammo, so it is not shot nearly as much. The "always" carry, little Ruger .380 is only fun for about 2 mags and is only good to me at VERY close range. So will put a mag or two through it often just to make sure I can still drill at 10ft.
One thing that always goes with me is at least one .22. Those get hundreds of rounds every trip because they are cheap fun and any shooting is good.
ANY trigger time is good for me. I have found even shooting a .22 at the range, or even an air gun at home, makes me do better with all my hand guns. Don't know if this only works for me but, suspect most would find any shooting helps.

Lately, not enough......life has gotten in the way this year. I made a few trips early in the year and then I started working more hours....no time for anything. I do have to re-qualify for my ccw this December so I have two range trips planned in the near future. I hope to be getting back into my normal routine by the end of next year. Pistola skills fade pretty fast without practice.

Lately, not enough......life has gotten in the way this year. I made a few trips early in the year and then I started working more hours....no time for anything. I do have to re-qualify for my ccw this December so I have two range trips planned in the near future. I hope to be getting back into my normal routine by the end of next year. Pistola skills fade pretty fast without practice.
What is ccw? Is that the armed security license?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top