JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How often do you clean your Henry 45-70 Gov when shooting Cowboy Action 300 gr factory ammo? I cleaned my all weather Henry before my last trip to the shooting range (last Sunday) and I popped about 50 rounds? I would appreciate an input from long time lever action shooters who used their rifles for years without ever developing any issues. I purchased my Henry 5 months ago and so far I put about 400 rounds through (8 range trips x 50 rounds) and I kept cleaning it after every trip to a shooting range. So far, the rifle is performing great, it recycles super smoothly and I want to keep it that way for the rest of my life. However, I have to admit that I do not enjoy cleaning it and I am thinking of cleaning it from now on every ~100 rounds (two range trips).

Cheers to Beers,

Dan

it wont hurt it to clean it every other trip. Levers are pretty simple designs, I dont know if 4570s a dirty round or something but mines never gummed up or malfunctioned I often just clean the barrel and call it good.

LOL....you don't want to know when I last cleaned my Marlin 1894 .38/.357 mag. (used in SASS). For that matter.....don't even ask about any of my other SASS firearms.:eek:

Yeah I deserve a :s0123:.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I'm talking about shooting non-corrosive primered/smokeless loads.

That is good to know. I think every 100 rounds might be more than enough for my Henry. I shoot only factory clean ammo, and after 50 rounds barrel, receiver and other trigger parts do not look much dirty.

Just tore down my brand new Henry Big Boy X tonight to clean it thoroughly after about 75 rounds of reloads using both cast and jacketed ammo. Was surprised at how dirty it was. It's now nice and clean and has a light coat of Breakfree CLP everywhere needed.

You're supposed to clean a Henry?:D

Our little 22 sees a box or two every time we take it out. I think I last cleaned it a couple of years ago:eek:

I'll wipe it down, but I haven't pulled the side plates or run a rod down the bore for quite a while. Guess I should show it some love.

Don't know because I don't have a Henry, but I can tell you how often I clean my Richard...

...but you have to buy me dinner and get me drunk first.

:s0140:

Clean your Henry like you clean your Johnson: after every use.

I have a Johnson that has to get cleaned daily.... so it doesn't have a negligent discharge.

:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads