JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much would you pay for the absolute best AR-15?

• $750-$999

Votes: 43 21.6%
  • $1000-$1499

Votes: 65 32.7%
  • $1500-$1999

Votes: 45 22.6%
  • $2000-$2499

Votes: 22 11.1%
  • $2500-$3000

Votes: 12 6.0%
  • More than $3000

Votes: 12 6.0%

• Total voters
If I liked the way it came, and did not forsee needing to change anything (buying new parts, furniture, BUIS, etc.), I would be willing to pay around $2500. That would be assuming that it came with a floating rail system, sights of some kind (nothing worse than having to buy sights after the fact on top of an expensive gun), and a good stock. My thought on the best gun would have the following. Good trigger, top of the line barrel, rail system, BUIS, good finish, grip with changable inserts (like the MIAD) and a buttstock like the Magpul CTR, ACS, UBR, or PRS. Something that has a friction lock to keep the stock steady. I must admit, I'm a magpul whore, but Vltor or CAA works okay too.

I also want to see attention to detail. Little things. Fit, finish, small parts, etc. I understand a small break in period, but after that, I want it to be 100% reliable. Small parts may break, but nothing other than freak accidents.

i'd spend half as much and get something better than a ar like a daewoo:s0114:

i love ars but i have been around them long enough to know they are not the best rifle on the planet dollar for dollar. They are just the most fun on and off range

Held a hk416 for the first time last night must say got the rock star feeling just holding it probably would have shot like any other ar15 but I would have looked like a rock star doing it.

I couldn't vote because I wouldn't spend my own money on an AR.:winkkiss:

I would spend about $1800.00 of your money before I'd begin to be somewhat happy with a DI semi-auto rifle.

I really can't see why an AR should cost more than $1500. My AR is an Eagle Arms lower mated to a new M16A1 upper assembly with a Bushmaster BCG. I guess it really depends on what you want to do with it or how much you want to attach to it. It is modular so if you want a heavy target barrel you can get a new upper assembly and do that. Go short and light with a M4 or carbine upper. Switch out stocks and buffer assemblies if thats your thing. Rail or fixed you can do both. Try doing that with a Daewoo, AK, HK93, or even my new AUG clone. The AR is here to stay.

I had a chance to buy a Daewoo (thumbhole stock) last year for a steal but got side tracked and lost out.
Do you have one? Do they run good?

Bruce.

you should have bought it

The Koreans took features of the ar15 ak47 fnfal and HK and put them all together in one rifle . its what the ar15 is trying to be with the new piston systems . i had a K2 and a Dr200 (the K1 is same gas system as the ar15 yes cool looking but still a DI) i owned the dr200 before i owned a ar15 it ran like a champ ate everything it was fed . the reason i bought it was a friend of a friend of mine had one and ran 3000 rds through 1000 of which was in one day and never cleaned grant it i would never do that but he bought the rifle for $400 and he was a tattoo artist back before there was a bazillion tattoo artist and he had money to blow. I was always hearing such stories at gun shows about how these things kept running and running

the only problem with daewoos is the limited importation and the fact parts are hard to get (now certain parts are being made or imported ) its not that the parts would break or ware out its just that some people would loose them like a guy who took his apart while out camping and a small pc shot out and was never found

i knew a gunsmith who was going to reserrect a US version or the K2 but he died in a motorcycle crash and it never came to life he was also working on a piston system for Armalites ar10 when he died hopefully Armalite will finish the work but his wife was totally in the dark on his projects and he was a one man show.

the dr200 i owned is my most missed rifle that i wish i would have never sold the K2 was cool but it was a big chunk of change and worth more that i could afford to keep.

I sold the dr200 to buy my first ar15 a colt ar15 sporter 2 carbine wish i still had that one as well.

the dr200 and K2 used a ar15 a1 rear sight system ar type fcg and mag catch system using ar15 mags the bolt carrier group was unique a fn type charging handle and handgaurds and grip and other features as well. rotating front sling swivel prebans use ar15 bayonets.
ak type gas system but again different i would a cross between what the ak uses and what the current ars are using. the front sight was a hooded hk type sight the thumbhole stock was just for import compliance the preban k2 had a side folder that had a locking mech that resembled the HK choate pdw stock
the finish was colt gray anodising i heard colt actully worked with them on the development but that internet rumor.

I've got about $2,500 into my current setup, but that number also includes most all of the peripherals.

View attachment 217006

$2,540 got me:

Bravo Co. 16" Midlength Upper
Global Tactical Lower
V-LTOR Emod stock
Daniel Defense Omega 9"
LMT BCG
MBUS rear sight
Trijicon TA-33 HG ACOG
VTAC sling
13 Mags (10 PMAGs, 2 Lancers, 1 USGI)
Mag-Pul Moe grip
320 rounds of Prvi 75gr Match

I paid $634 for my Colt H-Bar New in the Box back before the first ban. By all rights all of them should cost about this much but good luck in whatever you buy.

jj

The best AR-15? That's like saying the best Honda Civic....there are better guns out there. I wouldn't pay a dime over $2K

You guys must not be able to read. The OP didn't ask if there were better guns out there. He asked what you would pay for the best AR. Answer the question, or post elsewhere. Daewoos, etc. He didn't ask that. If you think a different platform is better, post that in your own thread.

Incidentally, the poster I quoted sort of answered the question, but his better guns out there quote annoyed me. C'mon people. Some people like the AR. If you don't, post a different topic to talk about your favorites...

You guys must not be able to read. The OP didn't ask if there were better guns out there. He asked what you would pay for the best AR. Answer the question, or post elsewhere. Daewoos, etc. He didn't ask that. If you think a different platform is better, post that in your own thread.

Incidentally, the poster I quoted sort of answered the question, but his better guns out there quote annoyed me. C'mon people. Some people like the AR. If you don't, post a different topic to talk about your favorites...

well bust my britches and call me db cooper :s0133:

so back on topic the most i have spent just for the ar15 it self and it was a true ar15 (it said so on the side of the mag well) was the colt sporter 2 carbine $900 in 1998 probably the second best rifle ive ever owned tied to the colt goverment carbine i traded it for in 99

i would never spend more than $1000 for a ar15 even a for a colt

even if it went to

Now most i have into a ar15 is a whole other question

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads