JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've thought about buying an SKS on and off for a few years now, mostly because I think historical firearms are pretty cool and it'd be a nice addition to the collection. Sadly, as most of you know, the prices are reaching incredible levels right now. I often times see SKS's priced close to entry level AK47's and AR15's. I don't want modern furniture or any of that stuff, just a solid, period correct shooter in good condition. I think the most I'd be willing to pay would be around $250, but I'm worried I may be out of line. What would you pay for an SKS these days?

250 sounds about right to me. Id feel really good if i picked up one for 200; maybe id pay 300 if the wood was real nice and it was lightly shot and/or from a good factory/year.

i'd pay $250-ish for a nice shooter with original furniture, not that modern plastic sporter jive. a bit more for a nice example... maybe, just maybe $400 for something display quality.

i've a rough looking example that has beat up wood, some rust, pitting... but a great shooter. bought it for under $200 earlier this year.

How much do I want to pay? 5 bucks. But I agree the market is very high. I myself have one listed right now (russian) for much more than it would have been worth 2 years ago.... but thats supply and demand... I see a standard no frills sks being worth about 250-300.... after 300 there better be something damn cool about it.

I've personally paid 150-550 for them, cash or trades. Not all are created equal, and sometimes there is the one that just cries out "take me home" lol. (the 550 one was completely custom, and was an attempt at a peace offering on a previous purchase that fell apart when shooting where the seller had no warranty or obligation to make it right yet tried, so i took it lol....actually turned out to be one of the best sks i have ever owned, but that is a major tangent there).

BUT.....right now, with as slow as things are selling, i think you could easily have an sks for 200-250 and shouldn't feel bad about making the offer. I would sell you one for 250 right now if i had any left in my collection.......the distributors were selling the yugos for 300ish c&r, but right now private party sellers are needing cash and re-upping supply on the open market while demand/ability to afford anything (let alone guns) is down. Just keep an eye out on the shows and private party ads.....or maybe get brazen and make an offer on that one you have seen sitting on the shelf at the gun store for the last year marked 389 lol.

That is my distorted opinion anyways. there are no more being made, but there are millions out there potentially on the market any given day.

Why oh why did I ever let go of my $79 Russian SKS?

I had a Yugo in my hands at a pawn shop for $280 OTD a few months ago but when it took over an hour to get the 'instant' background check I lost interest and went home.

My purchase prices have ranged from $75 to $200 and haven't bought one in 3 years. Had a Yugo for about a week and sold it for $250. Country of origin and condition are major players in pricing when I'm considering one. My Chinese are my favorite and were the cheapest to buy and the ones I'd never part with, for any price. Then again, I've never owned a '54 Tula Russian. Yugos are very popular, affordable and seem to be "abundant". Next to Albanian they are my least favorite but these are only opinions on my part. I would pay up to $250 for a nice shooter.
On a side note, look at what happens to $80 Nagants in 5 years! I still don't have one and probably won't be able to afford one when I get around to buying one.

that sale price from the dealers is a fair price for well used SKS's

the average value is $350 - $400 these days for nice guns
I just bought an unissued unfired Norinco for $350

I wish I had bought as many SKS rifles as possible when you could take your pick from the crate for $89 each. Lord knows I would have done better than my 401K. Its hard to wrap my mind around a $400+ SKS as I remember that. The price on Glocks has stayed closer to the same over the years, and the price of an AK hasn't gone up as much by comparison. I don't get it. I like SKS in its stock configuration not all "tacticooled" out. I should have held on to them instead of selling when I did. :(

About a year and a half ago I bought a very nice Norinco that had been fired only a handful of rounds. There was still cosmoline in a few places and the bluing was excellent. There were a few nicks in the stock and the bayonet was not attached (but included). I gave $160 cash and $100 trade. I feel that I got a very fair deal.

I paid $75 for a next to new one - of course that was back in 94/95ish. Guy bought 10 and put a box thru each to decide which one he wanted to keep. I should have bought all 9 but who knew they would be going for over $200...

Ive got a friend that has a nice, unmolested norinco sks that we wants $200 for with some brass cased ammo. I just cant bring myself to buying it. its a nice rifle but just not on my priority list. Knowing that, I wouldnt pay over $200 for one personally.

I'd pay up to $150 but it seems folks these days think they are worth about $350

i-need-about-tree-fiddy-thumb.jpg

i-need-about-tree-fiddy-thumb.jpg

Ive got a friend that has a nice, unmolested norinco sks that we wants $200 for with some brass cased ammo. I just cant bring myself to buying it. its a nice rifle but just not on my priority list. Knowing that, I wouldnt pay over $200 for one personally.

Ill take that sks & ammo if its still for sale @ $200

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads