JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much will you pay for small or large pistol primers per 1000?

• $100

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • $200

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Greater than?

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Not at all?

Votes: 42 75.0%

• Total voters
I've been fortunate to accumulate several decent sized lots of SPPs over the last year or two, including a couple buys since things got scarce early last year. I'd still be a buyer of more at the prices I paid on the last couple lots of $25/brick in May and October 2020, or maybe $30/brick if they were available.

Since I was fortunate to have bought when they were available, and lucky to find a couple good deals even after supply became real tight, I don't need them bad enough to pay current secondary market prices. I've been tempted to, and probably should sell some of what I have, but ultimately I'd rather have primers and components on hand for which I paid what was fair to me, than the profit I could make selling part of my supply.

I remember during prior shortages helping out friends who couldn't find stuff they needed to be able to go shooting. I don't want lack of primer, other components, or loaded ammo (such as rimfire) availability to limit my ability to enjoy the sport, so I try to keep a reasonable stock on hand as to not pay panic prices.

I was at my FFL's home shop a month ago when I picked up my new Glock, and he had a shelf full of CCI Large Pistol and Large Rifle primers that he was selling on consignment for a local guy. Price was $70 per 1000. I scoffed and went to go look at other stuff, but eventually went back and grabbed a case of Large Pistol.

I felt dirty. So $70 is my limit, I guess. Now that I just found out that .45 Colt is going for $1.45 to $3.00 a round online, I don't feel so bad.

I have more LP primers than anything else, so I've been really enjoying my Italian single-actions in 45 colt, and my old 1937 S&W 45acp revolver lately. My son loves to shoot an old Model 10, and since I got on a real kick and loaded 5k .38 Specials last year, he should be set for a while.

We've picked up brass at the range off and on for years, and any time we find live rounds, I take them home and pull them apart. I dump the powder, save the bullets, and keep the primed brass for eventual plinking rounds, if they look good. I just recently got them out and loaded them up with a moderate cast/PC load. 850 rounds of nearly free 9mm ammo, and they shoot just fine!

$100 per 1000? $200? Not at all?
I dunno.

I'm OK for a long time; I'll moderate my shooting after half or so of what I've got are gone if prices are not low again. What point I'll consider low? I dunno. Last ones I got were around $40 per 1000 so I know I'll pay that much, maybe a little more. Maybe not.

It seemed a little silly at the time to buy so many just as I was tearing the press down, but now ... maybe not so crazy.

Not everyone. Some of us have gotten a new caliber that finally warrants reloading.....6.5 Grendel in my case. Also before when ammo was .30 a round time was worth more than saving .15 a round for most of us. Do I wish I had bought more ammo or started reloading sooner? Hell yes. But should I be left in the cold? I mean damn I'm already paying the late to the party tax

Well, I haven't been reloading long either. Learned while 9mm was it's least expensive I ever recall too.

Then packed up the reloading gear, as the cost / benefit wasn't there for me.

Unpacking / setting up the reloading area (new house), because the cost / benefit is there now.

Had been buying components all along, as specials, deals and such came along. Why? Because I've seen other blights, and have read of others as well. And, we enjoy shooting...

This current blight wasn't too difficult to forecast, being an election year. The severity of it due to COVID/riots etc is "interesting". The longevity of it? No one knows.

However, be aware: IF this one ends, there will be another.

I had 4K small pistol magnum on my table at the gun show I took for barter, another vendor walked by before the show started and gave me $100 perK ... then immediately marked them up substantially and put them on his table.
I wasn't mad, or anything. If he can get that much good for him. I didn't want to sell for less than I can replace them, but the cheapest I saw at the entire show was $120 per K...up to $250+.
oh well, I have a few left

I picked a bad time to get into reloading.
That said, if I have all other components for the type of ammo, I suppose my payment limit for primers would top out at the point where it cost more to make the ammo than buy it.

If you decided to hire somebody at an hourly rate to drive around and find you some primers at retail prices, how much would you end paying that person?

I recently paid 10 cents a primer for 4000 sp primers and was able to do it in one transaction 5 mins from home. I didn't like paying that much but I am thinking I would have paid a lot more if I hired somebody to find them for me. I check stores often when I am meeting others or driving by them but I have only found one full brick at one location in the last 6 months or more. I have managed to find about 9 other 100ct sleeves in local stores over that same time period. I couldn't begin to count how many times I have visited stores looking for primers in recent months. If I had paid somebody an hourly rate to acquire those same 1900 primers, I am sure it would have cost me 10 times the price, or more.

I had 4K small pistol magnum on my table at the gun show I took for barter, another vendor walked by before the show started and gave me $100 perK ... then immediately marked them up substantially and put them on his table.
I wasn't mad, or anything. If he can get that much good for him. I didn't want to sell for less than I can replace them, but the cheapest I saw at the entire show was $120 per K...up to $250+.
oh well, I have a few left

Kevin, I was looking for some small rifle primers for a friend. He wanted CCI #41. I found 2 boxes of 1,000 for ( am not joking) $300.00 a box. He was to your right down the isle.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top