JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am almost finished with the Model 94 Winchester in 30-30. It is a 1958 rifle. The exterior condition was fair and the internals were great. I stripped the furniture and refinished it in a satin sheen. The metal was all cold blued. I realize that some folks will say the collector's value is destroyed and that's fine with me. The bore on this rifle is excellent, so it's a shooter. At my age, I'm all done hunting. This rifle can sit in the safe until I'm gone and one of my boys sell it or I can offer it for sale now. Problem is, I have no idea as to value. Something is only worth what someone else (the buyer) is willing to pay. Any thoughts?

Google-Fu can be handy in finding what others are asking. Good luck with whatever you choose. If interested in trades, just post here and you might get some purchase offers instead. Depending on the condition and assuming you're interested, I might offer a trade for a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in 308 with Nikon Monarch 3 (4-16x42) BDC scope. Here is an example of recent purchases:

Screenshot 2022-07-10 at 11-52-33 WINCHESTER MODEL 94 30 30 New and Used Price Value & Trends ...png

Google-Fu can be handy in finding what others are asking. Good luck with whatever you choose. If interested in trades, just post here and you might get some purchase offers instead. Depending on the condition and assuming you're interested, I might offer a trade for a Browning X-Bolt Hunter in 308 with Nikon Monarch 3 (4-16x42) BDC scope. Here is an example of recent purchases:

View attachment 1237634
Thank you! If I accepted a trade, it would have to be something other than a firearm. I have plenty of them and have been slowly reducing the number that I have. I used to work in a sporting goods store (part time, after I retired) and never got a paycheck. I took my pay in guns and ammo.

The prices I see on the linked list above seem a bit low to me. Good luck.

The prices I see on the linked list above seem a bit low to me. Good luck.
Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I am almost finished with the Model 94 Winchester in 30-30. It is a 1958 rifle. The exterior condition was fair and the internals were great. I stripped the furniture and refinished it in a satin sheen. The metal was all cold blued. I realize that some folks will say the collector's value is destroyed and that's fine with me. The bore on this rifle is excellent, so it's a shooter. At my age, I'm all done hunting. This rifle can sit in the safe until I'm gone and one of my boys sell it or I can offer it for sale now. Problem is, I have no idea as to value. Something is only worth what someone else (the buyer) is willing to pay. Any thoughts?
I've used this resource as help, good luck selling your fine rifle

Gun Broker's "advanced" search feature will show you recent sold 94's but it's just a poor average estimate in this fickle market.

It would be worth a call to Velzey (Copeland Custom Gunworks) in Estacada, OR. He's done some estate valuations of large collections and may have the best insight of someone sort of local to you.

I have a 1961 like yours…one of the best "modern" lever guns made :D

Note that you (as a seller) can ask whatever you want at the classified ads section.

Then also note. If it doesn't sell......you could always lower the price.

Just like at Wally World. Example.
1657518813567.png

Aloha, Mark

Since no one else has thrown out $$number$$ , I will give you a rough guess of $700-800. Because this is a winnie, not a Marlin, I don't know if you could ask for anything north of $850. The year of manufacture will get more interest than any other factors I can think of. Not having pictures makes the guesswork less accurate. If your rifle has been drilled/tapped , it might shave the value even more. My best guess, and I wish you the best of luck selling it.

The exterior condition as "fair"... that's difficult to quantify without more explaination or photos. The action tightness (or lack thereof) would also be a key factor. The refinishing type and quality will matter as well. The year of mfg is certainly compelling, but FMV I might be a little more conservative and say $500-$700.

Personally though... I wouldn't sell. Specimen's like that don't exactly grow on trees and will only appreciate in value. I'm very sentimental when it comes to those ol lever actions though so take it with a grain of salt.

Gun Broker's "advanced" search feature will show you recent sold 94's but it's just a poor average estimate in this fickle market.

It would be worth a call to Velzey (Copeland Custom Gunworks) in Estacada, OR. He's done some estate valuations of large collections and may have the best insight of someone sort of local to you.

I have a 1961 like yours…one of the best "modern" lever guns made :D
Thanks Knute, I appreciate your advice.

Since no one else has thrown out $$number$$ , I will give you a rough guess of $700-800. Because this is a winnie, not a Marlin, I don't know if you could ask for anything north of $850. The year of manufacture will get more interest than any other factors I can think of. Not having pictures makes the guesswork less accurate. If your rifle has been drilled/tapped , it might shave the value even more. My best guess, and I wish you the best of luck selling it.
I believe that your guesstimate is probably right on the money after looking at the other resources that folks have suggested. Thank you for the kindness of your response.

The exterior condition as "fair"... that's difficult to quantify without more explaination or photos. The action tightness (or lack thereof) would also be a key factor. The refinishing type and quality will matter as well. The year of mfg is certainly compelling, but FMV I might be a little more conservative and say $500-$700.

Personally though... I wouldn't sell. Specimen's like that don't exactly grow on trees and will only appreciate in value. I'm very sentimental when it comes to those ol lever actions though so take it with a grain of salt.
I'm speaking of the old NRA description of "fair" condition. I'm the original purchaser of this rifle and after using it for years, I sold it. Eventually I ended up buying it back and thought that I had sold it again. Well, I hadn't. It was in the corner of a shed on my property and had been there for many years before I rediscovered it. The condition had deteriorated to NRA "fair" and it needed some attention, which I gave it. I'm not sentimental about "things", just people.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top