JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Training for your dominate side makes us feel good about our skills but you are are only as strong as your weakest link. Next time you think about taking a class - consider shooting support side.

Be-Brave.jpeg

Back when I was in college, the cops I was shooting with had me do each string in the day's drills once strong-side and TWICE off-side, largely as a kind of "physical therapy regimen" to actually make that arm something approximating "usable."

I had several surgery's to repair my strong side shoulder. during that year I got really good at shooting offside.
Now I try to practice a couple with my off hand each time I'm at the range. I also try to shoot at least one target beyond my normal long distance [ 30 yards with the pocket gun and 50 yards with a full size pistol]. And at least a couple one handed on each side. It gives me something to shoot for!
If I find I'm not shooting well it gives me something to practice at. DR

Part of my re-qual is weak side, so I practice it fairly often.
Yep, same here. I am pretty religious about shooting at least a couple mags weak-hand out to 15 yards every range session. I once shot our basic qual course entirely left-handed (including the ten weak-hand shots) and still shot expert (admittedly, I was having a great day).

'Course, it helps to be right-handed but left-eye dominant...

Good suggestion and thread. Quite a bit with handguns for me and need to do more with rifles and shotguns but I do some. Took a class this summer where we had to bring a "weak" side holster and shoot a full qual mirror image with the non dominant hand. This was a great perspective when working with students who shoot left handed.

There's no reason to have a 'weak' side. Dominate and non-dominate; nothing more, nothing less. Train that weakness out of the body :)
Are you an 80s gym teacher???

Honest answer for me: strong and weak sides change depending on what I'm doing. Dynamically, I'm better left handed, static I'm better right. Previous injuries helped reshape my body just a bit and my eye/hand/leg dominance is staggered. SO I do practice with both, but less often than I should

There's no reason to have a 'weak' side. Dominate and non-dominate; nothing more, nothing less. Train that weakness out of the body :)
Ah, well, like almost everything else us old guys say, simply a figure of speech. Plus it's easier/faster/shorter to say "weak side" and "strong side" than "non-dominant side" and "dominant side." As a reformed gym rat, I get the concept but as an instructor (of mostly non-expert folks) I tend to go for brevity (plus most of my people don't understand the big words).

Regardless of what "experts" call it, IDPA calls it strong side and weak side (or grip hand and support hand)... which we shoot all the time! Just last Saturday a match with six stages featured shooting weak hand in at least three of the stages, including weak hand head shots.

Eye damage has caused me to have to shoot using my non-dominant eye a few years back... trained myself so that it is natural now. But for some odd reason, doing that made my body want to bring the handgun in to more of a Weaver style... had to retrain cuz I prefer a modified Isoceles (sp?).

Training is good. Don't forget to train yourself to drop anything that is in your support side armload or hand!!! I see waaaay too many vids of people using a horrid grip while trying to keep a cellphone or something in the support hand. JUST DROP IT!!

My main squeeze, a good ol' bolt action, supports me doing a little shooting on the side…does get jealous of some of them younger semi-automatics sometimes though.

Dominant hand and less dominant hand. Train with both. I shoot left handed (due to me being left eye dominant) but I am naturally right handed. So both feel fairly natural to me (pistol that is). Rifle is a whole different story but I train on that and transitions as well.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be picky about the Symantec's of the term you use; my point was, with training, there is not strong or weak.
Bill Rapier does a good bit on both hands and the importance of use and wording and how it plays into mindset. I actually think he calls it strong hand and my other strong hand. But I may be mistaken.

This is what I call it and it changes depending on which side I'm using. I do not have a "weak side" but from time to time I have an injured/hurting side. I buy LH & RH holsters if I like them and set my ARs up to be ambidextrous as possible.
I need to put an ambi safety on my AR shortie because I do practice switching it back and forth!!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top