JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many hours of sleep per night do you need?

• 2-4

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • 5-6

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • 6-7

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • 7-8

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • 8-9

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • 10+

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Reactions
So I'm always curious how much people sleep in average...

You can cast 2 votes, 1 for how much you can 'make it on' and how much is comfortable if you want.

I learned how to function on very little sleep but normally I do best with 8-9 hours a day/night - I can take a nap during the day to make up for lost sleep the night before but my wife can't.

I also hear lots of folks sleep 4-5 hours and do great day in and day out.

You can add your general age and times of sleep if you'd like - i.e. I work nights so I sleep during the day etc.

It's just a curiosity, I'm not stalking you - Google is:p

I need 7-8

I get and am used to 5-6 sometimes even less and function really well with it.

Typical though is 4-5.

I'm 35, at home dad who does random work at the farm, wife works nights so I'm used to not sleeping well.

If I'm in bed before midnight and am up by 6:00am that's a good night.. typically it's 1-1:30am bed and 6:00am wake. Furnace kicks on at 6:00am to warm the house by 6:30am so when the temp rises my body wakes up.

im 28. 29 in april. i get about 6hrs of sleep a night and have been doing so since i was 18. just never needed a lot of sleep. dont get me wrong though, sometimes i'll sleep 9hrs... when my parents or the inlaws have the kid

I need 7-8

I get and am used to 5-6 sometimes even less and function really well with it.

Typical though is 4-5.

I'm 35, at home dad who does random work at the farm, wife works nights so I'm used to not sleeping well.

If I'm in bed before midnight and am up by 6:00am that's a good night.. typically it's 1-1:30am bed and 6:00am wake. Furnace kicks on at 6:00am to warm the house by 6:30am so when the temp rises my body wakes up.
bout the same, bud. crazy how a temp change is like an alarm clock

I usually go to bed around 2:00 and get up at 7:30.
I can't sleep more than that. If I try to take a nap in the day time, I can't get to sleep at night.
I go through frequent bouts of insomnia, in which case I get maybe 4 hours of sleep a night max.
When I was much younger, I could sleep all night and half the day. I find the older I get, the less sleep I need

One of the great benefits of retirement is the ability to go to bed when you want, get up when you want, and nap during the day if you feel like it. There are a few days that are exceptions, of course, but for me they are few and far between.

For I guess the last 8 years or so I've fallen to sleep around 8-9 watching a movie or online ( you have to keep your hands away from the curser so you don't buy shnit:eek:)
Then I wake up at the end of the movie and go to bed.
Then about 2am I wake up to pee then lay there awake till about 3:30-4 ,my mind a racin'
This winter was the same and I wake back up at 7:30-8.
So,being retired,I sleep when sleepy. I'll take a quick nap during the day in my chair and all is good.
I've been trying to get up earlier now that it's well above freezing and all. It was fine to get up late when it was -20 but now I feel guilty if I'm not up with the sun
All in all I need my 8 hours a day

When I drove a Fire Engine for a living long ago, got used to many nights with no meaningful sleep at all. Then the following afternoon a possible 2 hour nap was so refreshing. But back in the day I COULD skip an entire night and still function the next day as long as hot strong coffee was constantly available and I did not stop to sit down in a deep soft chair. If I did light out in 10 seconds. :)

I usually go to bed around 2:00 and get up at 7:30.
I can't sleep more than that. If I try to take a nap in the day time, I can't get to sleep at night.
I go through frequent bouts of insomnia, in which case I get maybe 4 hours of sleep a night max.
When I was much younger, I could sleep all night and half the day.
I find the older I get, the less sleep I GET

There, I fixed it for ya.
I am about the same NWGG.
I used to be able to sleep standing in a corner, till noon the next day. Nowadays since my back injury this dreaded insomnia is rampant and has made sleep a fairy tale for me. Between my mind going 100 MPH & my body not being able to get and stay comfortable during the night I rarely get 2-4 hours of sleep unless I take medication (on rare occasions). I hate that pain meds make me feel like I'm hungover & had a barroom brawl with an orangatan the next morning.:eek::eek::eek:o_O

Last Edited:
There, I fixed it for ya.
I am about the same NWGG.
I used to be able to sleep standing in a corner, till noon the next day. Nowadays since my back injury this dreaded insomnia is rampant and has made sleep a fairy tale for me. Between my mind going 100 MPH & my body not being able to get and stay comfortable during the night I rarely ge 2-4 hours of sleep unless I medicate (on rare occasions). I hate that pain meds make me feel like i'm hungover & had a barroom brawl with an orangatan in the morning.:eek::eek::eek:o_O
I could get more sleep if I needed it, but as I've gotten older I just don't need to sleep as much. Don't have any physical reasons that prevent it. During insomnia bouts I won't take anything to help (tried Melatonin, didn't work) as I don't want to feel hung over either, and it would mess up my sleep cycle even worse!

I could get more sleep if I needed it, but as I've gotten older I just don't need to sleep as much. Don't have any physical reasons that prevent it. During insomnia bouts I won't take anything to help (tried Melatonin, didn't work) as I don't want to feel hung over either, and it would mess up my sleep cycle even worse!

Melatonine is about the only thing that will help if taken 2-3 hours before bedtime. My problem is waking many times during the night to shift.

Sleepless in my little town...

(tried Melatonin, didn't work) as I don't want to feel hung over either, and it would mess up my sleep cycle even worse!

Melatonin needs to be taken at the same time every day and you need to go to bed at the same time every day. Takes a couple weeks to build up and your body to adjust. We had a bout of sleeplessness with my daughter in her early teens and didn't want to give her designer drugs if possible.

It did seem to help a lot after the first 7-10 days.

Your mileage and body chemistry may vary though.

I usually go to bed around 11pm-12am and I'm up between 6-6:30am.
With young kids you don't get much sleeping in. My kids are up at 6am usually like clock work. Sometimes these little demons are trying to get up at 5am.

I was always someone who slept a lot. When I was a kid I would easily sleep 12hours through high school.
I need a good 8 hours, but haven't seen that in years.

I toss and turn all night trying to get comfortable. Between back problems and being too hot I'm up every hour repositioning.
So the 6 hours I get is really about 5 hrs.

I have a terrible time catching naps. Even if I had the time. Once I'm up, I'm up.
I have a tough time falling asleep too. So that's why I usually stay up late. It's 9pm by the time the kids are in bed and asleep then it's my quiet time and zone out on TV watching adult programs. Usually guns, gears, or violence.
Then once I'm falling asleep on the couch I know it's time to go to bed.

My wife falls asleep as soon as she stops moving. I wosh I could do that:

I usually go to bed between 11.00-11.30, finally get to sleep about 12-12.30. wake up multiple times through the night from back pain. Get up between 4.30 and 6.30 depends on my back. Have not used a alarm clock in 15 years. Hate pain meds. so I do not take them, Advil helps take the edge off some nights but I do not like taking them for more than a couple nights. When I was a kid I could sleep all night and half the day, ahh those where the days!

I usually go to bed around 11pm-12am and I'm up between 6-6:30am.
With young kids you don't get much sleeping in. My kids are up at 6am usually like clock work. Sometimes these little demons are trying to get up at 5am.

I was always someone who slept a lot. When I was a kid I would easily sleep 12hours through high school.
I need a good 8 hours, but haven't seen that in years.

I toss and turn all night trying to get comfortable. Between back problems and being too hot I'm up every hour repositioning.
So the 6 hours I get is really about 5 hrs.

I have a terrible time catching naps. Even if I had the time. Once I'm up, I'm up.
I have a tough time falling asleep too. So that's why I usually stay up late. It's 9pm by the time the kids are in bed and asleep then it's my quiet time and zone out on TV watching adult programs. Usually guns, gears, or violence.
Then once I'm falling asleep on the couch I know it's time to go to bed.

My wife falls asleep as soon as she stops moving. I wosh I could do that:

I've been thru the kid years, oi:eek:.

They are a curse and a blessing;).

I can generally fall asleep like you said your wife does, I get comfy and I'm out - unless I'm not, then it takes hours for me to calm down (generally when I have things on the brain).

We are usually in bed and lights out by 10-11 and get up at 6:45 so most of the time I get what I need but I ran on almost no sleep for years so I'm sure I could do it again, it might just be a bit more taxing lol.

When I was a kid I could sleep all night and half the day, ahh those where the days!

Oh man, my wife and I pre kid would sleep in till 11-12pm on Sundays. Grab the paper and some food n drinks and stay in bed till dinner time. Super waste of productive time but awesome us time. I do miss that sometimes.

I may need a CPAP. Sounds like an ak. Lol.

I'm in good shape I just snore and wake myself up. I try to get 7 hours. My son likes to get up at 6 so...No real late night TV or time to chill.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top