JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
IMG_0907.JPG I have always heard you don't put a regular old scope on an air gun or the shock/recoil/jarring will turn it to scrap.

I kind of have a hard time accepting a $39 air rifle scope is significantly stronger than a $150 regular rifle scope but I know it's more about the direction and type of recoil.

In any case I put a Bushnell 2-7 AR optic on my RWS/Diana 48 with some Burris.22 rings which seems like it is reasonably close to a working set up for the rifle.

I just am hoping someone can say either "yeah it's fine" or "no, you idiot that's just like burning a $100 bill"

Thanks in advance :D

We broke an old Leopold 3x9x40 on our nicer .177 spring gun. The reticule broke. Leopold fixed the scope for free. I also had a nice phone call talking to the Leopold folks as to why the older scopes were prone to breakage. Something about reverse recoil pulse with the spring gun recoiling forward instead of backwards. Nowadays they make many types of air gun rated or specific scopes. Enjoy.

We broke an old Leopold 3x9x40 on our nicer .177 spring gun. The reticule broke. Leopold fixed the scope for free. I also had a nice phone call talking to the Leopold folks as to why the older scopes were prone to breakage. Something about reverse recoil pulse with the spring gun recoiling forward instead of backwards. Nowadays they make many types of air gun rated or specific scopes. Enjoy.

Yup, the older scopes even from quality manufactures can't take the spring force.

Even if it doesn't break it outright on the first shot (or ever) the risk is not being able to hit the target.. you'll be chasing your shots all over the paper/your "groups" will be about a foot instead of one hole at 25 yards.

Had this discussion with a friend who is seriously into airguns. Springers WILL kill a normal scope. Pump guns are fine. As HB of CJ said, springers actually recoil forwards instead of backwards and the reticles aren't designed to tolerate that, unless the scope is airgun specific.

That problem is really specific to springers due to the recoil in the normal direction from the shot and the reverse recoil from the spring bouncing back. It's that reverse recoil that regular scopes aren't built for that and can cause the reticles to detach.

I don't know that it would be a problem on a PCP or pump gun since the recoil on those is in the normal direction.

Because they aren't made/designed to stand up to those forces. Stuff breaks/gets loose.
The best rig I ever had was a Feinwerkbau-124 that I put a Beeman peep on. You just couldn't miss.. anything.
I generally don't scope springer guns.

I need something that has some bullet drop/range compensating ability. I am shooting rock chucks at 10-80 yards and there is about a 2 foot elevation variance over that range and I am just missing far to often with Kentucky windage. I figured the scope was worth a try.

I just ordered a Hawke 2x7x32 air rifle scope. I'll try it

I need something that has some bullet drop/range compensating ability. I am shooting rock chucks at 10-80 yards and there is about a 2 foot elevation variance over that range and I am just missing far to often with Kentucky windage. I figured the scope was worth a try.

I just ordered a Hawke 2x7x32 air rifle scope. I'll try it
Cool. Let us know how it works. That's the thing.. they aren't lasers.. I think my "laser" only did like 850 but it was just magic accurate out to an honest 50 yards even on small (chipmunk size) stuff.

I usually wouldn't recommend a leapers\ UTG scope, but I use the 3-12 on my Marauder Pistol w stock and it has held zero well. Not a spinger but still should work. I don't use the colors much but does have side AO that's nice for ranging critters. Some edge blurring but otherwise clear.

img-UTG_3-12X44_Scope_SCP3-UM312AOIEW.gif

I bought a Hawke 2-7 x 32. It was a $100 and really is not near as nice as the Bushnell 2-7 x 32 AR optic I had planned to use that is roughly the same money, but it is an air gun scope.

I have been meaning to get it sighted in all week and have yet to. I'll try and rectify that today

I had read that you made a purchase. Just threw it out for a future low end scope or someone else may be looking.
Let us know how it groups.

I had a FWB 124 in .177 that was stolen. And a Beeman Kodiak .25 that I sold. I miss the Springer's and am looking at the RWS 34. They're great exercise. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top