JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I don't disagree with any of what you've said here, Noisycow. I lay awake nights thinking about this stuff and wondering "What the F*** happened to my country, my way of life, my birthright as an American citizen, and what does the future hold for my kids?" I am just fine with everything ending for me, if it has to - I'm only 38, but if I perish protecting my kids, I'm ok with that. Like I always say, if I had to trade my freedom or my life for the well being of one or both of them I'm just fine with that. ****, even in an act of vengence, if any scum bag ever laid a hand on one of my kids, I'd be fine with cashing it all in just to make sure the creep met his maker. But if everything were to crumble, and nothing was certain - no running water, no basic services, no security at all - I have to be here for them, or they don't have a chance. It's a scary time to be alive.

Brother go back and read the last line of your post,#348. I think this says volumes for yourself.
You need to relax and live your day to day life.Prep while going on with that.
You can worry forever and nothing will change.Not the time that all will change,for sure.
Keep it the back...BACK of your head and what goes on daily in the front.The preping and all will come up when other things are at topic.Then mix them in.

But if it's keeping you up at night,you shouldn't be on here scaring yourself. Not healthy

So...What do you do?...I'm just not sure what my plan should be should the crumble start, on a week day, when I'm home and everyone else is out. I can't imagine trying to function in survival mode with my family members away, not knowing where they might be, or when they might get home.

Despite what a few paranoid people might suggest, we won't be going on with our business as usual when suddenly everyone goes crazy and roving bands spring out of the woodwork to suddenly hold the cities hostage and begin raping and pillaging everything in sight.

Since you live in the PDX metro area hopefully you have a plan established for the most likely major disruption (earthquake). If not, make a plan based upon what would happen if a major earthquake occurred on a weekday when everyone was away from home. Everyone's plan will be different due to location and logistics.

So...What do you do? I work from my home. I feel somewhat secure in my ability to keep myself safe. I have a wife working in an office building downtown Portland, a 3 year old in day care during the day, and a daughter in school 4 miles from my home. I'm just not sure what my plan should be should the crumble start, on a week day, when I'm home and everyone else is out. I can't imagine trying to function in survival mode with my family members away, not knowing where they might be, or when they might get home.

I guess we need to plan out what we'd do if the need presents itself, and make a secondary plan if we don't all have the ability to get to some rally place. Home base is home - getting the loved ones here in a sticky environment is the challenge. I worry that separation could result in me never seeing one or more of my family members again. I'm sure we all have the same concerns, but how do you guys plan for this stuff? I've read LOADS of stuff on the internet about this, but I'm not Rambo - what do we do?

As for getting the family together,you should be watching what is going on closer.Maybe we all need to take to day off kinda thinking.
If things are looking bad on the news before bed,then start your plan for the next day.Get up early and see what has developed over night.
Then decide if you will be going to work that day.I would guess we will have a couple hours notice.Some small things will arise.I'm not sure what,but I hope I'll see them.

9/11 for instance.I believe every thing will start in the major cities and work it's way out.And I'm not talking Seattle and Portland 'major'. I'm talking LA,NY,Chicago,DC,Miami type major cities.Portland and Seattle may not be far behind,but probably a few hours behind.Enough for a warning to us.
Goes with the "what route out of Dodge" thread.You need to be able to see the future,cause there may not be a route out of Dodge for long.

So determine your best routes from work to the kids and home.Then worry about the rest when you get there.
But getting the kids and family trumps all else,including your jobs.

Think that if shtf that urban survival will be different than suburban and rural. Think of networking with "trustworthy and likeminded" neighbors. Regardless, think of your own self-sufficiency and reliance and independence. Be mindful to read the political news as events of leading indicators of social unrest as factors that will guide your preparation. Social unrest will stimulate hoarding of food with dependence on energy. If you live urban think of various escape routes and counter attack options. Plan not to follow the crowds.

Last Edited:
Despite what a few paranoid people might suggest, we won't be going on with our business as usual when suddenly everyone goes crazy and roving bands spring out of the woodwork to suddenly hold the cities hostage and begin raping and pillaging everything in sight.

Exactly... this isn't a zombie movie folks. My thought is we are heading out of the good times and into tough ones, this isn't a new thing... just new in most of our lifetimes.

The thing is there will never be a recovery, at least for the US. We have nothing to recovery with; we are a gutted corpse. The US is Bernie as in Weekend at Bernies.

A corpse where the banksters move the arms and legs back and forth via derivatives and other money games. To simulate life while they get their ducks in a row. However, we are already done. The coming depression will last decades. The US as we know it will cease to exist. There will be the ultra wealthy <1% and the remaining 99%+ financial debt slaves, tenants, beggers. No middle class. No high standard of living. A median balance with what is poverty in other countries; equivalent of $2 a day. No fancy cars, no 70" LCD TVs; just poverty and sky high prices for food and energy.

Do what you can, how you can, where you can.
can you supress panick?
Great, go by the 3 rules for 72 hours: Shelter, heat, water, food
got 3 outa 4 handeled? move on to more food and water

Did You Know Feds Will Temporarily Cut Off All TV and Radio Broadcasts on Nov. 9?
If you have ever wondered about the government's ability to control the civilian airwaves, you will have your answer on November 9th.

On that day, federal authorities are going to shut off all television and radio communications simultaneously at 2:00PM EST to complete the first ever test of the national Emergency Alert System (EAS).
This isn't a wild conspiracy theory. The upcoming test is posted on the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau website.

Only the President has the authority to activate EAS at the national level, and he has delegated that authority to the Director of FEMA. The test will be conducted jointly by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) through FEMA, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (NOAA) National Weather Service (NWS).

In essence, the authority to seize control of all television and civilian communication has been asserted by the executive branch and handed to a government agency.

The EAS has been around since 1994. Its precursor, the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS), started back in 1963. Television and radio broadcasters, satellite radio and satellite television providers, cable television and wireline video providers are all involved in the system.

So this begs the question: is the first ever national EAS test really a big deal?

Probably not. At least, not yet.

But there are some troubling factors all coming together right now that could conceivably trigger a real usage of the EAS system in the not too distant future. A European financial collapse could bring down U.S. markets. What is now the "Occupy" movement could lead to widespread civil unrest. And there are ominous signs that radical groups such as Anonymous will attempt something major on November 5th- Guy Fawke's day.

Now we know in the event of a major crisis, the American people will be told with one voice, at the same time, about an emergency.

All thats left to determine is who will have control of the EAS when that day comes, and what their message will be

They are not going to shut off all broadcasting what they will be doing is sending a message out via the new system a very different thing then you are asserting.

Granted many here wouldn't believe the government if they told you were alive but here is what the official line on the test is.

<broken link removed>

They are not going to shut off all broadcasting what they will be doing is sending a message out via the new system a very different thing then you are asserting.

Granted many here wouldn't believe the government if they told you were alive but here is what the official line on the test is.

<broken link removed>

I think you need to re-read the FCC site AND my post, the FCC describes the process whereby all radio/TV stations broadcast the Gov.s message and goes on to explain how this new system can override all normal broadcasting for a non defined peiod of time and is controled soley by POTUS:

"EAS, the video test message scroll may not be the same or indicate that "This is a test." This is due to the use of a "live" national code &#8211; the same code that would be used in an actual emergency. In addition, the background image that appears on video screens during an alert may indicate that "This is a test," but in some instances there might not be an image at all,,,While EAS tests may be disruptive, they are important to ensure that the EAS is functional and that EAS Participants are prepared to issue alerts, and it is our intent to minimize disruption and confusion to the extent possible. The November 9 date is near the end of hurricane season and before the severe winter weather season begins in earnest. The 2 PM EST broadcast time will minimize disruption during rush hours, while ensuring that the test occurs during working hours across the United States.

We anticipate that the test will last approximately3 minutes. While state and local EAS messages are limited to 2 minutes, there is no time limit for national EAS alerts. To evaluate whether the system properly interprets the national message code in the national EAS test, the message duration must be longer than two minutes."

I think that if you are waiting for a TEOTWAWKI scenario, you will be waiting forever. You might get SHTF scenario triggered by a natural disaster.
Here in the Northwest a quake or maybe a tsunami or a volcano blowing it top would be the top possibilities. However, where I live (Seattle), the past few winters have been a bit snowy (for Seattle), and it is entirely possible for a colder than usual and really snowy winter to wreck havoc on this region. This is not Minnesota, Vermont or Colorado, so long prolong snow would definitely cause major hurt. There is also not many ways to get supplies into the Seattle area.

Now as far as TEOTWAWKI I do not believe that is going to happen. What will happen however is inflation. We are all going to be a bit poorer. The government is like a blood sucking parasite and a host has only a limited supply of blood. When the parasite gets too big, it then takes too much blood from the host and the host gets sick.

I think that if you are waiting for a TEOTWAWKI scenario, you will be waiting forever. You might get SHTF scenario triggered by a natural disaster.
Here in the Northwest a quake or maybe a tsunami or a volcano blowing it top would be the top possibilities. However, where I live (Seattle), the past few winters have been a bit snowy (for Seattle), and it is entirely possible for a colder than usual and really snowy winter to wreck havoc on this region. This is not Minnesota, Vermont or Colorado, so long prolong snow would definitely cause major hurt. There is also not many ways to get supplies into the Seattle area.

Now as far as TEOTWAWKI I do not believe that is going to happen. What will happen however is inflation. We are all going to be a bit poorer. The government is like a blood sucking parasite and a host has only a limited supply of blood. When the parasite gets too big, it then takes too much blood from the host and the host gets sick.
I recall a winter when the Columbia froze over, All east west traffic ceased including rail traffic, dams and Cascade Locks had to be protected from ice flows using dynamite, Hood River and sim areas were evacuated by the NC using tracked M-114s. There was a food shortage, all food came up from Cali via I-5 which was often closed as well. PPl in the mountains were in a bad way and local ski-doo clubs hauled in food/evacuated many.
I was fine due to Propper Planing

19 pages an interesting read for sure.
I don't know the when, or how it will manifest in every other Americans eyes around me.
I think it has been creeping slowly up on me for the past ten years now.
My reasoning being, that I am a skilled tradesman, and my wage has not increased more than a dollar per hour in the past 11 years.

I thank my parents for my proper upbringing and my thriftiness too.
I can not hardly remember a time in the past 15 years that I did not have to make my money go further.

I would not be surprised at all if before the end of the year, we had more civil unrest than you could shake a stick at happening here in Oregon and the rest of the US.
Unless. of course, you were watching it on tv and shaking your stick at that.

I have to update my opinion a bit based upon what we have been witnessing over recent history.
This will sound crazy but I think that the world is heading towards another major war.
There are two events that just cannot be reconciled, and both of them involve NATO.
!st took place in the 1990s when NATO got involved in Serbia. There they at least had some sort of an excuse because of the Serb/Albanian conflict in Kosovo.
2nd just happened this year and once again NATO involved itself in an affair of a sovereign country - Libya. This was pretty blatant to anyone that paid any attention. There is were also all the other "Arab Spring" revolutions going on as well, and I'm sure that there is outside involvement in those.
There is just too much brewing over there. It will come to a head and it will not be pretty.
I still think that the US should be able to stay out of that mess if it chooses to do so. I doubt that it will choose to, but the fighting will be going on over there and not here.
Call me nuts, but I see that Europe and the Middle East and North Africa will see yet another war within 5 years.
..or they might just sit down by the fire, hold hands and sing Kumbayah.

The more I see and read in the news,sooner than later. Too many people ,globally,trying to take the big corporations down.
They can't have that.
Too many of the "Entitlement Army" want their programs,that someone else is paying for,to continue.But the programs are out of money (real money that is)
And some saying the Black Caucus is wanting a revolution. Actually it's the Black Caucus saying it.

So on one hand we have the Occupy Everywhere people trying to take down big business and then you have others in the entitlement programs trying to take the rest from the ones that work

And a lot of people opposing both.I think we will have something going down soon.Just too many unhappy people right now.

Too many people with nothing that have played too many hours of death games on the computer hoping for a war.

As if this wasn't planned all along
Now to see who grabs the Caliphate:
Iran
Egypt
Turkey
I don't think Turkey has enough puddin heads to launch a human bomb campaign agianst Iran
Of course this will have to wait until after the Christian and Jewish genocide

"so if obammy wants to take credit for this then he should also answer why again a man was murdered without a trial?thats not the american way.
but why do liberal americans find it so necessary to coddle these muslims who are savages and abuse the christians so much?
we dethroned a non muslim dictator to establish a muslim nation,why?why?why?would we do that? "

"Fundimentaly Transform America"
It would take an Army to do that, right?
Millions would have to be slaughtered to make it stick, right?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top