JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much more cash over $650 would make selling on line worth it to you?

• Total voters
Reactions
I have a rifle (current production but hard to find) that I'm thinking of selling so I've been checking out online sales for pricing. One just sold today for $266 over MSRP. :eek:
For those interested, MSRP is around $650.00 the one online sold for $266 more than that.
So you would think I would be rushing to sell mine online, but I'm just . . . not
Trust me, I'm not a big fan of turning down more money but I'm also not sure that it's worth it?

What are your thoughts? :s0093:

I have buddy's on here that have proven time and time again, selling some guns on gunbroker are actually worth the time and effort , especially when the bidding war begins and you make out like a bandit . Me personally, I'll sell guns local and face to face , I usually will break even or take a loss . I should be selling my stuff online too , I've done it before and it wasn't a hassle at all with a good FFL

And when I say bidding war , I seen the check for almost 9 grand for a saiga AK

I have been a HUGE fan of online buying for a LONG time. So I have zero problem with selling that way. Now of course when it comes to firearms its some hassle but, if someone wanted something I was selling and was ok with the extra cost? Would not matter to me at all.

Wait, your supposed to make money selling guns?

I prefer the term, rental.

I've no issue about selling online. I collect mostly antiques and curious. Theres not going to be many locals interested in them, so the only way you will ever get a good price is if you put it online.

Last Edited:
Not worth it to me. If I'm selling the gun, it's because I want the space or freed up funds. I don't do this as an investment. When I'm selling I want to sell NOW so more often than not I just take the L selling direct to an FFL and wash my hands of it. No tire kickers, looky-loos, flakes or low ballers. Walk in, cash in hand, walk out, done.

I have a rifle (current production but hard to find) that I'm thinking of selling so I've been checking out online sales for pricing. One just sold today for $266 over MSRP. :eek:
For those interested, MSRP is around $650.00 the one online sold for $266 more than that.
So you would think I would be rushing to sell mine online, but I'm just . . . not
Trust me, I'm not a big fan of turning down more money but I'm also not sure that it's worth it?

What are your thoughts? :s0093:
I dont understand why $266 more than MSRP for a used gun isnt worth it?

The only thing to consider is the BGC fees, shipping cost and online fees, I dont know what gunbroker etc. charge to use their sites... but then I would think the additional money over MSRP for a used gun would cover that. If it broke even, your still selling a used gun for MSRP. On an auction site simply start the bidding at a price your willing to part with then add the estimated fees, and see what happens.
Ive never sold a gun online, but have sold stuff on ebay and its ridiculous what people pay for used stuff, they get caught up in bidding wars I guess.

I dont understand why $266 more than MSRP for a used gun isnt worth it?

The only thing to consider is the BGC fees, shipping cost and online fees, I dont know what gunbroker etc. charge to use their sites... but then I would think the additional money over MSRP for a used gun would cover that. If it broke even, your still selling a used gun for MSRP. On an auction site simply start the bidding at a price your willing to part with then add the estimated fees, and see what happens.
Ive never sold a gun online, but have sold stuff on ebay and its ridiculous what people pay for used stuff, they get caught up in bidding wars I guess.
It would be totally wort it in person, or with a NWFA member that could be 'vetted' through their trading and posts. Maybe it was just too much stuffing and cranberry's today but the thought of dealing with some rando for a bit more money made me wonder how much more would be enough to offset the potential risk of a bum buyer

I honestly prefer local sales on NWFirearms and WAGuns at this point. Firearms and ammo, just easier and more consistent than what you'd find at a box store or even at the LGS.

the thought of dealing with some rando for a bit more money made me wonder how much more would be enough to offset the potential risk of a bum buyer
I dont know how gunbroker works, but typically auction sites you dont ship the gun until the moneys in the bank. With an auction site, you dont even have to meet the person or speak to them (PM thru the site is always good, and safe) if you dont want to. Honestly online auction sites is the best way to sell to a stranger, Id rather not meet a yahoo in person to have to try to back out of selling if hes really odd or off.

Not selling on line as in not having to deal with packing and shipping , makes it worth a lot to me.
I'd much rather drive a bit to make a sale or trade.

But that is just me...and I have been called old fashioned a time or two...:D
Andy

If gun is hard to find now or buyer is somewhere with few or no gun stores nearby, effective price for that buyer may be more than MSRP, especially these days.

Several variables involved when I decide to sell one. Common or less common? Collectible? Long gun or hand gun? Does it have any conditional issues that could be disputed?

In general, my impression is that people buying locally are looking for the deal, buying on auction sites, they are looking for the gun.

I've been liquidating over the past few years. I've sold them through an FFL dealer in private sales; listed and sold on Gunbroker; and turned them over to an FFL dealer on consignment. Depending on the gun. The nature of the venues has morphed over time. In times gone by, when I had something to sell, I'd take it to the WAC gun shows. That's over. The guns I've sold as private transfers lately, those were mostly done through Armslist before it went sour so that's also over. Sometimes, I've had to switch venues to move one when what I tried first didn't work.

I've been very pleased with the transactions I've done on Gunbroker. The higher sales price that usually results more than offsets the fees, in my own experience. There is no disputing that the nation-wide online auction sites open up a very large market. Instead of maybe a handful of guys on NWFA who might be interested (and want to beat you down in price), an auction site might open up your potential buyers to number in the dozens for that particular item you have to sell.

The auction sites allow buyers to trade money for time and trouble. They are able to find stuff out of their area without the trouble of driving here and here, leaving it to random as to whether they might find the object of their search. Which otherwise might take months or years for some things.

Starting Jan. 1, 2022, the auction sites will be required to report annual sales exceeding $600. I'm glad I got all my selling done before that date. I'd not want to argue with the IRS that I shouldn't have to pay income tax on the sale of a gun collection. But this may be an argument against selling through online auction sites in the future.

Starting Jan. 1, 2022, the auction sites will be required to report annual sales exceeding $600. I'm glad I got all my selling done before that date. I'd not want to argue with the IRS that I shouldn't have to pay income tax on the sale of a gun collection.
I have mixed feelings on this, on one hand I have the obvious objections, on the other hand I am almost 100% convinced that many of the auctions that go for 'questionably' high prices are actually money laundering

At this juncture, 100% of our firearms are bought and sold are via the web, so it is indeed a factor. Not so much for monetary reasons, but the most precious commodity of them all: time.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top