JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was curious to see how much factory 9mm ammo I had stocked up in my ammo cans. I dont shoot factory ammo that often but with the resent past of ammo shortage has made me an ammo hoarder so to speak. So it made me think I cant be alone. So my question I have is how much is enough or should i still buy a few 100 when I can. I have 2000 rounds as of now but I still feel that isnt enough.

So how much do you all have stocked up? and it doenst have t o be 9 its just what i have the most of.

The general thought is to have 1,000 rounds for every caliber. I'm way over that with 5.56 and 7.62 but with pistol ammo I make an exception. I shoot 9mm, 40 and 45 so I just have 300 round for each. If I just shot 9mm I'd have closer to 1,000 for it.

Didn't know there was a rule of thumb or maybe I just ignored it. :eek:

Seriously I would have to go home and count box's due to the fact I lost track. If I see a good deal and I can afford it I usually just buy it. Especially if it is a round that I shoot all the time. I really need to start keeping track of my purchases so I shoot the older ammo and then replace it with new. I know that I have over two thousand 5.56

5.56-3,500 rounds
7.62-1,800 rounds
9mm-1,100 rounds
.40-800 rounds
.22-2,500 rounds

A buddy of mine asked me that very question about a month ago over a campfire & bourbon night, so we went and counted.

Mine was built by always buying ammo at every gun store & gun show I've gone to for the last 3 years.

1000 rounds ish each caliber of pistol and revolver and .223 since I have an AR now. I have at least 300 rounds for my .22-250 and that's ridiculous.

I inventoried my reloading stash a couple months ago and I'm ashamed to report I have enough powder to load over 40,000 rounds:p.

If I saw a good deal and had the cash I'd still buy it. Some are sicker than others...

I have the following factory ammo, give or take a few. I don't think that you can ever have too much. If you don't shoot it all leave it for your kids.

380--3,000
9mm--2,200
45 acp--2,000
223--5,500
7.62x54R--400
7.62x39--2,000
22LR--16,000

I would have more 9mm ammo but I reload that all the time and currently have about 5,000 rounds loaded, plus I also reload 380, 45, 40, etc.

I have a schit load of 5.56 and 9x19 ball in ammo cans and 200 rounds of 9x19 carry ammo and 420 rounds of 5.56 carry stuff all loaded in magazines.

I keep 400 rounds of 155gr fmj 7.62x51 in battle packs and keep a few loaded M1A magazines with my own 150gr load duplicating pressures and velocities with Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Ive gone away from using ball for HD/SD with rifles. Figured I use expanding pistol bullets, why not rifle? Im using Barnes TTSXs in 223 and Nosler Ballistic Tips in 308. Plenty to penetrate armor and leave huge exit holes.

I gave up on guns and ammunition a long time ago. I might have a few pellets and BB's in the garage. :rolleyes:

I don't hoard anything except 22lr. I do however keep enough bullets, powder, primers, and brass on hand to keep me practicing modestly during times of shortage. The problem with hoarding all the other calibers is in a SHTF scenario, unless you have a compound with a bunker, you would need to transport it. I'll take 2000rds 22lr and a suppressed 10/22 in a backpack any day over 200rds of 223 mags and an AR. If you actually need to shoot all that ammo if self defense, you probably won't live past the second mag. But YMMV in the ZA.

Is that, a 1000 rounds you never touch? Anything above that you are free to play/train with? I met a guy who let me shoot his AR 308 at Brown's Camp. I asked him how much he would take for the shots I took or if he would like some 5.56. He said, don't worry about it. They just broke out some old stock of 7,000 rounds. They hadn't touched their new stuff yet.

I have 5 calibers to keep happy. I usually don't keep more on hand than I could reasonably carry (in my vehicle) along with other stuff. Anyone remember Chris Dorner a few years ago? They found his truck with several ARs in it. He still had at least one left for the big bonfire in the sky. Personally I wonder at some point/round count, are you leaving it for someone else.

I've decided the only way to assure myself of all the necessary materials to reload is to stick to crossbows and bows. I shoot the odd robin or crow with my wrist rocket for fletching and all I need is some rebar and a hacksaw for bolts for the crossbow. Sticks for shafts are every where.

Brutus Out

The 1k round mantra is common but poorly thought out with no reason behind it other than it's simple.

How much you shoot (rounds) x how often you shoot x n where n = the number of years you expect not to have resupply, assuming your consumption remains constant, this is a more quantitative method of determining stock.

Philosophers have given this subject deep thought and distilled the answer many years ago. To wit:

"Buy it cheap and stack it deep." - Unknown

"A man can never have too many books, too many red wines, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

"There is such a thing as enough ammunition and there is such a thing as not enough ammunition. There is no such thing as too much ammunition." - Jeff Cooper

. . . unless you are treading water or on fire. Absent those two conditions, more is better. - Mr Natural

When I find ammunition that is
(1) Good stuff
(2) In a caliber that I shoot and
(3) Cheap
I unhesitatingly back the truck up for whatever the current budget will bear. I have not been proven wrong in this approach in several decades of acquisitions.

Interestingly, as an investment, my ammo stash has outperformed my stock portfolio handily since the turn of the century, although I would not recommend that approach to everyone. YMMV

Philosophers have given this subject deep thought and distilled the answer many years ago. To wit:

"Buy it cheap and stack it deep." - Unknown

"A man can never have too many books, too many red wines, or too much ammunition." - Rudyard Kipling

"There is such a thing as enough ammunition and there is such a thing as not enough ammunition. There is no such thing as too much ammunition." - Jeff Cooper

. . . unless you are treading water or on fire. Absent those two conditions, more is better. - Mr Natural

When I find ammunition that is
(1) Good stuff
(2) In a caliber that I shoot and
(3) Cheap
I unhesitatingly back the truck up for whatever the current budget will bear. I have not been proven wrong in this approach in several decades of acquisitions.

Interestingly, as an investment, my ammo stash has outperformed my stock portfolio handily since the turn of the century, although I would not recommend that approach to everyone. YMMV

NICE ^^ !

About 3500 rounds spread between five handgun, and three rifle calibers. Not really into getting on my hands an knees to get an exact count right now. I make my own hand gun ammo, during winter when when I have more time the count will increase.

I keep 1K of each for the hand guns I own. Have moved it to 3 K in 9mm now since I have a coupe rifles for it. Now and then I rotate out the oldest to use, maybe every few years. Have about 20K .22 now just for making sure. Also have the dies and parts for all the hand gun stuff. Keep a 5 gal bucket of brass for each. don't roll anything except .45 any more. Keep the stuff to roll the others if I ever need too. When I'm gone I'm sure the kids will find a way to get rid of it. :D

upload_2016-12-8_8-21-34.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top