JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We'll be able to give you a more accurate assessment if you post pictures. There are so many factors that drive prices. It's probably a Type 99 Arisaka, but who knows, you might have a Type 99 Nambu worth a fortune.

We'll be able to give you a more accurate assessment if you post pictures. There are so many factors that drive prices. It's probably a Type 99 Arisaka, but who knows, you might have a Type 99 Nambu worth a fortune.

rifle 1.jpg rifle 2.jpg rifle 3.jpg rifle 4.jpg

Type 99 Arisaka with intact Mum but no monopod or dustcover.... I would say $650-$700 depending on the smoothness of the action and the condition of the bore (brighter and shiner is better).

Just my guess. @Nibbs do you want to chime in here?

I do not see the crest on the front receiver, there should be a chrysanthemum there, but there is marking/writing and no obvious file marks so that might be original, (training rifle?) which adds a fair amount of value as the rifle was not surrendered (if they surrendered the rifle they filed the crest off so the Emperor/property would not be disgraced), and (most likely a battlefield pick up). The bayonet is a quilled bayonet (the late war lacked the curved piece), it lacks the tripod and the dust cover. The dust cover raddles and was "lost" (it would probably not be thrown away as it was the Emperor's property and sacred, but the original I have can get loose and running around in battle could get "lost" easily enough). Is the barrel chrome plated? What cartridge/caliber?

A close up picture from the rear sight to the bolt handle would help with placing a value. Also a close up picture of any writing or symbols both on the bayonet and the rifle would help as well.

A close up picture from the rear sight to the bolt handle would help with placing a value. Also a close up picture of any writing or symbols both on the bayonet and the rifle would help as well.
The barrel looks pretty shiny inside and it looks like it has some sort of a lighter colored metal liner. I've seen pictures of rifles with the mum on them and this one doesn't have that but also doesn't look like that area has been filed. I don't know what the caliber is. There are some numbers on the end of the bayonet handle and a symbol on the bayonet blade next to the handle.

rifle 5.jpg rifle 6.jpg rifle 7.jpg rifle 8.jpg rifle 9.jpg

Clear pics of the left side of the receiver just above the wood line showing the nomenclature will show the maker & the series in Japanese Characters plus the serial number.
I can't see a "Mum" on the top of the rcvr ring, nor can I see where it has been ground off.
A clear pic of that will help.

Also a pic of the Muzzle should show whether the bore is chromed.

OK Just saw the new pics.
If you were to use some 0000 steel wool and a cleaner/ oil and rub the rcvr ring it should show whether the Mum was Defaced/ scrubbed or not.
You won't hurt the finish if using 0000 or finer and a good oil & It should get a good cleaning.

Your Bayo is a Hooked quillon & either a Tokyo Arsenal prior to 1936 or Kokura Arsenal 1936-45.

Links:
http://oldmilitarymarkings.com/japanese_markings.html
http://www.castle-thunder.com/model.htm

For Militaria call THE WAR FRONT in Milwaukie.

Last Edited:
Was at a gun show yesterday, guy had a bunch of Jap bayonets for $165 ("rare" and/or "Phillipino made" bayonet and scabbard), to $110 (common bayonet, no scabbard) which is more than I paid for the rifle in good condition a few years ago.

Do you still have this rifle? If so there should be markings on the left side of the receiver and under the bolt handle. That would go a long way in helping identify the rifle.

The symbols in the picture you provided simply say "Type 99"

Also check the rifle bore. If it is smooth then it's a trainer and should not be fired.

Looks like a standard type 99 to me, a picture of the arsenal and series marking on the left side of the receiver could help determine if its of a rare production. For a ground mum type 99 in that condition with a bayonet, i'd say tree fiddy would be fair

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top