JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yeah holding the slide forward only has to overcome the unlocking force not the full force of the cartridge firing. I haven't seen anyone do it with a hi point.
There was the youtuber who attempted to hamper the function of a high point with condoms, rubber bands, bubble gum, etc. Can't recall if he was successful or not.

The H&R Handi Rifle could be had in .357 Magnum. Not sure about the auto cartridge, though it is a single-shot, break-action, so presumably a chamber adapter could be an option.
Who would've thought that a New England Firearms Handi Rifle barrel would be so sought after? The .357's are hard to find now and expensive when found. None have been made since Remington bought NEF / H&R 1871 along with Marlin in 2008. There were some remaining in inventory from that corporate sale, but they didn't last long because NEF cognoscenti saw what was coming and quickly bought them out. Remington took too big of a bite when they bought Marlin, never was able to properly digest the purchase. .357 was one of the more popular accessory barrels; for one thing, they weren't limited to mounting on rifle frames; they were fine on a shotgun frame. As were the .44's and .45 Colts.

There's another popular accessory barrel, the .45 Colt / .410 bore shotgun with a T/C Contender choke key.

I don't think NEF made any rimless pistol cartridge accessory barrels. Of course, they did make rimless centerfire rifle barrels, such as .223 Rem. .308 Win, and others. So it would've been possible to do it in rimless pistol cartridges.

Some guys at Graybeard Outdoors site have made 9mm and .45 ACP barrels. They take a barrel blank and stub it onto a shotgun barrel. Seems like the work for an extractor would be some doing in the process. It would take some machinist skills.

As stated above and discussed recently on another thread, it would be easier to get a pistol cartridge sleeve for a shotgun barrel.

Who would've thought that a New England Firearms Handi Rifle barrel would be so sought after? The .357's are hard to find now and expensive when found. None have been made since Remington bought NEF / H&R 1871 along with Marlin in 2008. There were some remaining in inventory from that corporate sale, but they didn't last long because NEF cognoscenti saw what was coming and quickly bought them out. Remington took too big of a bite when they bought Marlin, never was able to properly digest the purchase. .357 was one of the more popular accessory barrels; for one thing, they weren't limited to mounting on rifle frames; they were fine on a shotgun frame. As were the .44's and .45 Colts.

There's another popular accessory barrel, the .45 Colt / .410 bore shotgun with a T/C Contender choke key.

I don't think NEF made any rimless pistol cartridge accessory barrels. Of course, they did make rimless centerfire rifle barrels, such as .223 Rem. .308 Win, and others. So it would've been possible to do it in rimless pistol cartridges.

Some guys at Graybeard Outdoors site have made 9mm and .45 ACP barrels. They take a barrel blank and stub it onto a shotgun barrel. Seems like the work for an extractor would be some doing in the process. It would take some machinist skills.

As stated above and discussed recently on another thread, it would be easier to get a pistol cartridge sleeve for a shotgun barrel.
I believe there would be a market for a 9mm version of those handi rifles today, if priced right.

If TCGC will approve shooting a shotgun with 9mm chamber adapter at BP range, I would buy one of those 9mm adapters too. They run about $30 for a rifled version.

Edit: I will order a 20ga to 9mm adapter this weekend. I probably won't be able to use it at the range but I can have fun with it at the cabin property. I am going to order the 12ga to 20ga adapter too for use in my slam fire shotgun build. I am sitting on many more 20ga shells vs 12ga shells. The 12ga to 20ga adapter should add some safety margin to my black pipe barrel as well.

Last Edited:
However "most" 9mm pistols fire from a locked breach, so...
Yes, and the initial firing impulse moves the combined mass of the barrel and slide. Not so different from the heavy slide of a "blowback" system.

Back in the day I'd be throwing down an impulse/momentum equation to estimate the force. My physics books are pretty dusty now.

Yes, and the initial firing impulse moves the combined mass of the barrel and slide. Not so different from the heavy slide of a "blowback" system.

Back in the day I'd be throwing down an impulse/momentum equation to estimate the force. My physics books are pretty dusty now.
I am with you on this. I would think that if the hi point slide or the AR9 bolt was generating hundreds or thousands of pounds of force that they wouldn't be using comparable recoil springs as their locked breech counterparts.

How's the project coming?

Drill Baby Drill....
For some reason your progress inquiry inspired a new drilling location idea.

Instead of drilling through the upper receiver and bolt to locate a pin, I think it would be better to drill through the extension tube. If I located the hole just behind the buffer(s), I could slide the pin through the buffer spring to prevent the buffer(s) from moving after a shot was fired. That would hold back the buffer(s) when the pin was inserted and allow normal semi-auto function when the pin was out. That would eliminate having to break open the action like a block buffer tube would require. It would be a lot easier to drill than the upper and bolt.

Edit: If I was running a stock a hole might have to be drilled through the stock as well. That would prevent adjustment in the stock.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads