Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How much food do you pack in your BOB?

Discussion in 'Preparedness & Survival' started by wavo, Jan 28, 2010.

1. wavo

wavo Portland Member

I know every official site says to pack a 3-day supply of food. I have a mixtures of MRE's, Freeze dried food and bars (clif bars, power bars..etc). I was repacking my stuff into a better suited pack last night and was frustrated at how big the MRE's are. I was able to get most everything in the pack but there are a few more things I want to put in there.

Most people make the case for 'bugging in' and while I agree this is the best strategy if things go awry I actually have a better place to bug out to that is self sufficient and safer than being in the city. Problem is it is a bit of a distance. By car I could make it in 6 hours, on a bike in about 4 or 5 days, by foot.....yeesh.....15 days? And by foot I don't know that it would be worth it, things would have to be pretty dang bad here, or desperate. Yet by foot is the scenario I'm trying to prepare the most for.I'm able to get most everything in order for the foot scenario except food.

What do all of you do?

2. jdub75

jdub75 PNW Well-Known Member

I keep about the same: 3 MRE's, 3 or 4 freeze dried packages, some jerkey & water. I rotate a couple clif bars, but they have a pretty short life compared to the other stuff.
    I'm working on a 'close in' bug out place just out of town. I figure if things got that bad, would we be able to get far out of town anyway?
    I'm going to bury some provisions, ammo etc at this spot...not a ton of stuff, but enuf for a few days at least, and a water filter. Its close to folks w/ livestock, so if food got tight, I could poach off them for a bit! :)

3. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I hope this livestock you are poaching off of aren't the ones I am watching to earn my keep at the ranch where I am bugging out to.

SF-

Dunerunner and (deleted member) like this.
  4. mustang

mustang portland New Member

Have you looked into emergency ration bars like Datrex or Mainstay? They are calorie dense bars that come in a vacuum sealed package that are about 4-5 cubic inches, and weigh about a pound. They come in 2 different sizes, at least Datrex does, a smaller 2400 kcal and an only slightly larger 3600kcal. They even taste good, kind of like the oatmeal cookie bars out of the MRE's. All though there are enough kcals for almost 3 days there is not much food, so I keep 3 MRE's per bar to fill my stomach and help with kcal count during physical exertion. You can find the Mainstay bars here:
    http://theepicenter.com/mre_military_meal_ready_to_eat.html
    look all of the way down to the bottom of the page
    You can find the Daterx bars sometimes at Sportsman's warehouse or on line here:
    http://www.shop.meyerscustomsupply.com/category.sc?categoryId=33

5. crosse

crosse Bellevue Active Member

the only calorie bars i've tasted were like....a pooper. i felt horrible after eating one too. My car usually has a few days food. I usually pack canned fruits which are good for liquid, high in calories (sugars), and vitamins. canned cream based soups which are high in calories and can be eaten on a good rotation like put into a casserole when it comes close to an expiration date. this is just me though i suppose. i'd rather eat liquid meals than bricks.

6. Wheeler44

Wheeler44 SW Washington Member

Our Grand folks crossed a continent on foot with dried beans, fruits and grains.....Those are still good foods....

7. M.Link

M.Link Guest

I live in the woods, so hopefully I won't have to far to go. I'm putting together a bag for 3days. I have 3 MREs, when the Marines first went to Iraq, they lived on on MRE per day. I also have some cliff bars and thing like that, and a big pack of jerky. My pack has a 100oz water resivoir and I also have two nalgene bottles of water. That should last over three days and if I have somebody with me, for about two days.

8. mustang

mustang portland New Member

Yes but all of that liquid adds weight and the tin cans are comparatively heavy too. trying to pack 3-4 days worth of caned food, for just one person, in something you are going to have to carry will be heavy. For exampple a can of Cambles condensed cream of mushroom soup (it was the only cream soup in the cuppord at the time) has 175 cal per can, to get close to the 2000 cal that is recommended for an active adult you would need 12 cans per day. Each can of soup weighs about .75 pounds for a total of 9 pounds of soup for just 1 person for 1 day. In a car, as an emergency food supply, canned food could be a viable alternative but in a backpack that is 18 pounds, for 3 days, of just food you would be trying to walk out with. That might not be an option for a pack that is 40 or 50 pounds already. Just some food for thought :twocents:

9. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I have a 3-day emergency ration bar (click) and an MRE I made myself...the homemade MRE consists of a can of:

*(1) Can of Spam
    *(1) Bottle of Water
    *(1) Pack of Tuna
    *(1) Pack of Salmon
    *(1) Cliff Bar
    *(1) Bag of Peanuts
    *(1) Pack of Tissue
    *(1) Set of Plasticware
    *(3) Instant Coffee Packs
    *(2) Packs of Sugar
    *(2) Drink Packs
    *(1) Small Toothbrush
    *(3) Packs of Toothpaste
    *(6) Iodine Tablets
    *(2) Vitamins
    *(1) Book of Matches
    *(1) Lighter

I know there is more, but that is all I can think of for now...it fits in a bag that is about as big as an MRE, but heavier. It has all the stuff you need to keep you going for days versus an MRE which is basically designed to keep you going for a little over a day. You can reuse a lot of the stuff (like the can of spam) for other things like cooking- and the bottle of water can be refilled and used to clean water (throw in a couple iodine tablets and voila!).

Mind you I've thought about these things for years...you just have to get geared up for what you plan to do. Like I said before, anyone here can tell you what is in their bug-out-bag...but what you need may differ because of what you plan to do and where you plan to go.

10. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

I carry a bag in my truck for emergencies like getting stuck while hunting. Just a few sets of socks and shoes, sweatshirts. A couple of gallons of water, oatmeal bars, jerkey, dried fruit. The worst part is I usally eat it while I am out and then just stop at the store for the next trip.

11. Scott

Scott Battle Ground Well-Known Member

This is just a bit of info as well I thought was interesting I learned while in the military. I learned you could starve off a rabbit diet. The reason being is that rabbit is very, very lean and your body cannot sustain a no fat diet. I just that is interesting because everybody says there are plenty of rabbits to eat.

12. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct. Although rabbits have very few calories, the protine is also what is needed when you are "in the bush". So basically you would have to eat nothing but rabbits for a few days before you receive any ill effects of calorie loss...so they are still a good source of food.

13. eldbillbo

eldbillbo clackamas New world samurai and a redneck none the less Bronze Supporter

i just plan on hitting the mcdonalds $1 menu on the way out

EZLivin, coctailer, daoism and 3 others like this.
  14. Silver Fox

Silver Fox Puyallup, WA Well-Known Member

I have seen the average American and guess what?... I am more than confident most people won't see the negative results of an 'all lean rabbit' meal for a couple of weeks. We are a nation of fat @$$es

Besides has anyone actually tried hunting rabbits in your local area? Chances are you will be eating cats before you eat rabbits.

SF-

15. powersbj

powersbj Seattle Area Active Member

Eating the marrow and brains will help hold off rabbit starvation but Im not sure how long.

16. OPAWY

OPAWY NorthCentral Wyoming Member

Better to have packaged food that is easy to grab and eat, high caloric value. More important to have water. I have 5-7 days of packaged food for BOB, but really its more for trips back home should something happen in the interum. Being home will be more advantageous for me.

17. stratbastard

stratbastard eugene oregon Active Member

It's hard to balance everything you may WANT with what you can carry and still stay moving effectively. Over the years I have constantly re-evaluated what I will be carrying, replacing heavy items with lighter ones. Trimming even ounces here and there adds up. For example:
    Had a nice little one man tent/shelter which would certainly serve but weighed in at 13 pounds. Purchased a high tech quality 2 man bivy which weighs in under 8, saving 5 pounds while having a better shelter.
    Had a nice multi tool, but searched around and found a better lightweight skeletonized one.
    Used to pack MRE's, but these are heavy too. Now I carry freeze dried, including some of the LLRP freeze dried MRE meals. Skinned a TON of weight down switching over... water isn't hard to come across in my area, and I have the water filter of course.
    Replaced even little items with lighter ones... military can opener, plastic camping utensils, etc...
    As I get older and slower, I keep evaluating... I may have to start figuring how to lash all this stuff to a walker soon LOL.

rocky3 and (deleted member) like this.
  18. U201491

U201491 Well-Known Member

No need to pack water in the NW, water is available all over. Have a filter and purification means or vessel to boil it.
    Dried everything, Soups rice beans and meat or a form of fat and some carbs.. Save the weight for the ammo.
    Food in the NW is also plentiful and it grows everywhere.

19. viehmann7680

viehmann7680 Centralia Active Member

1.) break everything down to its bare minimal packaging. (especially MRE's)
    2.) Go with pouches over cans. (tuna, salmon, chicken, spam)
    3.) energy bars to supplement, not as real food. Use them as a mid hike snack.
    4.) Research edible plants and animals in your area... or get a book. Make a cheat sheet for the plants, with pictures and keep in your pack. Collect as you are on your way.
    5.) Pack snares and fishing line

With all of this or things similar, you should be able to keep your weight to calorie ratio pretty good. I'm sure there is plenty i have missed, but That's what I do. I keep 3 days of food in my bag. MRE's as well. But I also keep some in my car and such too. I've been looking into a small 22 to keep in my pack as well.

20. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

15 days? Sounds like small scale caching could be for you!