JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How much do you tip for good service?

• 0-10%

Votes: 5 7.8%
  • 11-15%

Votes: 16 25.0%
  • 16-20%

Votes: 32 50.0%
  • 21% and over

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters
Anywhere from 0-20+ based on service. Minimum wage in oregon is so high that its hard for people really put in the effort it seems. Also, if you really like the service, tip with cash. They can keep more of it from taxes.

I leave an amount depending on the bill. Why should a person working at Ruth's Chris serving $300 dinners working just as hard as the person at Applebees get so much more? It it was a $120 meal I would maybe tip $12, but if its a $4 drink I tip a $1 or more. So 10-35% depending on the price of the bill.

I leave an amount depending on the bill. Why should a person working at Ruth's Chris serving $300 dinners working just as hard as the person at Applebees get so much more? It it was a $120 meal I would maybe tip $12, but if its a $4 drink I tip a $1 or more. So 10-35% depending on the price of the bill.

Well put, I honestly never thought about it that way...

I'm not at a higher end restaurant by any means, but..
I've done the desk job thing, and I'd prefer it to serving people ANY day. I work at a Baskin Robbins in a crappy part of town, and let me tell you, it's complete crap. Putting up with a customer's BS attitude is not worth minimum wage. And that's only if they speak english. Don't get me started on the VERY large majority of my customers that only speak spanish and treat me like crap because I don't, too. But in general, customers are cranky, and then take it out on whoever is serving them.
And I only get tipped on average, MAYBE $4 a day after serving several hundred customers.

I wouldn't expect regular tips at Baskin Robins, I think we're speaking of conventional restaurants. Besides, usually the tips are split within the servers at places like that, or coffee shops, l which I would compare that establishment to.

Because the people attending the high end establishments can afford it.

Also, if they want to work at one of the high end restaurants, maybe they should at least apply for a job.

I wouldn't expect regular tips at Baskin Robins, I think we're speaking of conventional restaurants. Besides, usually the tips are split within the servers at places like that, or coffee shops, l which I would compare that establishment to.

I wasn't so much complaining that I don't get tips. It's ice cream, I definitely get that much! :s0114: I was more saying that I don't think servers get overpaid for the work they do. It might not be hard manual labor or anything like that, but it is usually extremely strenuous mentally and emotionally. When a server is doing their best to have a positive attitude towards a customer and all they get back is rude remarks and being treated like crap... that's not easy to deal with several hours a day, several days a week. So I think they deserve the tips given to them (usually).
Sorry, should have clarified in the first place. :eek::s0155:

I wasn't so much complaining that I don't get tips. It's ice cream, I definitely get that much! :s0114: I was more saying that I don't think servers get overpaid for the work they do. It might not be hard manual labor or anything like that, but it is usually extremely strenuous mentally and emotionally. When a server is doing their best to have a positive attitude towards a customer and all they get back is rude remarks and being treated like crap... that's not easy to deal with several hours a day, several days a week. So I think they deserve the tips given to them (usually).
Sorry, should have clarified in the first place. :eek::s0155:

I know you weren't, there's no need to clarify. I know how it works. There are still plenty of other jobs, even within city limits, that make the food industry look like a joke.

I enjoy sales much better than any food occupations, anyways. True sales, not retail. That's where better money is made on an individual basis. I'll get into marketing and advertising after college, but for now I enjoy employing myself.
..Among other things.

Regardless, no reason to apologize, WakeAdrian.

Tipping is not common in China. When I first got here, I left a 10 yuan tip on the table for a 50 yuan tab and left. The waitress chased me over a block to give me my change that I forgot! (10 yuan is about $1.35). The surprising thing is that the average wage for a waiter or waitress here in Shanghai is 800 to 1000 yuan a month for 12 hour days, six days a week. Work it out. That's $110 to $135 a month!!!

When I go into a Western bar or restaurant, Applebee's, Tony Roma's, etc., I tip much as I used to in the States, 15 - 20%.

I used to tip more when I was living in Kansas, they make about $2.15 an hour. In Oregon they are making 8.45 (thats minimum right?) But its got to be terrible service to leave less than 15-20%.
Its always cheaper to make food at home, and often better.

The service has to be pretty bad for me to leave under 20%, but I'm another of the ex-servers. Generally I'll start at 20% base, and adjust up for attitude, speed etc, 40-50% is pretty commen depending on the price of the meal.

One thing that gets me though is being made to wait for the check. When I'm finished with my meal I'm ready to go!

What is the point of a tip? They make minimum wage. If they want more money get a better job. The most I leave is a couple of dollars (2-3) even on an 80 or 90 dollar tab and that’s only if they go above and beyond. Tipping is so over rated. Who else do you tip? Do you tip the guy at the gun store who helped you select a gun or gives you advice on what ammo to feed your guns. :huh:

Usually tip about 20%, and extra for great service. When paying by CC, best way is to tip 5% on the receipt and the rest cash. That way they can claim 5% with IRS b/c waiters get taxed on their tips also.

What is the point of a tip? They make minimum wage. If they want more money get a better job. The most I leave is a couple of dollars (2-3) even on an 80 or 90 dollar tab and that’s only if they go above and beyond. Tipping is so over rated. Who else do you tip? Do you tip the guy at the gun store who helped you select a gun or gives you advice on what ammo to feed your guns. :huh:

The only problem with that thought is that the whole reason they are only paid minimum wage is because it is expected that they will recieve tips in addition to it. The expectation runs so deep that they are taxed on the tips, whethor you leave one or not, so if you dont leave a tip, they are essentially paying the goverment for the pleasure of dealing with you (be sure to thank them for thier generosity).

I understand you are trying to make a statement, but the only one hearing it is the server, and thier probablly not hearing the message you meant to send. If the notion of tipping really offends you, join an orginization that boycotts restaraunts or something, or just refuse to go out to eat. By enjoying the service and not tipping, you're just free-riding on the efforts of others.

"The notion of tipping really offends you"????

No, that's not it at all. When you leave a tip most times they are put together with all others from that shift and the divided up between the cooks, servers and sometimes management (ie: starbucks) that is why I only give small tips if at all. so then who else do you tip? The man pumping your gas, or the checker at the store, drive thru.... I don't get tips in my line of work nor do I expect it, either should they.

As far as the government those laws needs to be changed.

The only problem with that thought is that the whole reason they are only paid minimum wage is because it is expected that they will recieve tips in addition to it. The expectation runs so deep that they are taxed on the tips, whethor you leave one or not, so if you dont leave a tip, they are essentially paying the goverment for the pleasure of dealing with you (be sure to thank them for thier generosity).

I understand you are trying to make a statement, but the only one hearing it is the server, and thier probablly not hearing the message you meant to send. If the notion of tipping really offends you, join an orginization that boycotts restaraunts or something, or just refuse to go out to eat. By enjoying the service and not tipping, you're just free-riding on the efforts of others.

Like I said before, I have worked many jobs in addition to the food industry where I have made minimum, and I have to say that the food industry definitely wasn't the worst of it. That's from experience at both low end and high end establishments. It's the servers responsibility to achieve employment at a proper establishment to gain excellent tips, otherwise they shouldn't blame the customer base for not tipping. Higher end restaurants will get you better tips! It takes more than just hard work, be clever and get yourself exposed to the right people and places and enjoy the journey.

“The notion of tipping really offends you”????

No, that’s not it at all. When you leave a tip most times they are put together with all others from that shift and the divided up between the cooks, servers and sometimes management (ie: starbucks) that is why I only give small tips if at all. so then who else do you tip? The man pumping your gas, or the checker at the store, drive thru.... I don’t get tips in my line of work nor do I expect it, either should they.

As far as the government those laws needs to be changed.
They pay taxes on the tip you don't leave, as for pooling tips do you mean my good tip makes up for your bad tip?

What is your line of work?

Where were all you big tippers when I was waiting tables and tending bar????

Having spent years in the food/drink biz, tipping is a subject near to my heart. Mr. 45's policy is misguided, if I may say so. In 95% of the establishments around here, tips are not pooled. May I add the only places I know of that practice that bad habit are the McMenamins' chain, which is famous for incredibly bad service?

If a proprietor is dumb enough to make his waitstaff share out with each other or the kitchen, he/she can be assured that the waitstaff will be at about 70% efficiency all the time. Redistribution of wealth doesn't work ANYWHERE. . .

Another point the non-tipping folks miss, besides the government taxing waitstaff on money they may not actually receive, is that we have a social custom in this country; tip your server if the service is good! The rhetorical "who else should I tip?" is answered by "whomever traditionally receives a tip for providing a high level of expected service".

Just as the travel guidebooks tell American tourists that tipping may actually be an insult in other countries, custom dictates that not tipping here is an insult. Unless, of course, the server is clueless or rude.

In other states, tipped employees are actually exempt from minimum wage laws. Waiters in the best joints in Chicago make $2.99/hour, because it's assumed by even the state that the lions' share of their income is tip money. And they are right. Waiters that pull $400/shift in the high-end places are all too happy to sign their $40 paycheck over to the boss for the privilege of keeping their jobs.

That would never happen here in the People's Republic of Oregon, though, and any restaurateur will tell you his biggest obstacle to profitability is having to pay minimum wage to tipped staff and not being able to spend a few extra bucks on a skilled chef/cook.

25%????

You guys rock!

Oh yeah; 9mmPDX wrote:

"Usually tip about 20%, and extra for great service. When paying by CC, best way is to tip 5% on the receipt and the rest cash. That way they can claim 5% with IRS b/c waiters get taxed on their tips also."

Excellent advice!!! Leave a cash tip on a credit card bill and be remembered by your server forever as a valued client!

This is not my personal arguement, just something I think about when I am tipping.

I walked in on a conversation at my son's football game. The guy talking was saying that he did not like to tip because he did not agree with the custom. He said something to the affect of why would you tip a kid $5.00 for delivering a $15 pizza to your door but a guy who delivers a 300lb television stand to the back bedroom on the second story of your home barely gets a thank you. Apparently, he dielivered furniture for a couple of years in college.

This is not my personal arguement, just something I think about when I am tipping.

I walked in on a conversation at my son's football game. The guy talking was saying that he did not like to tip because he did not agree with the custom. He said something to the affect of why would you tip a kid $5.00 for delivering a $15 pizza to your door but a guy who delivers a 300lb television stand to the back bedroom on the second story of your home barely gets a thank you. Apparently, he dielivered furniture for a couple of years in college.

I tip the furniture delivery drivers that dropped of and installed my stuff.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top