JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i figured since this was sort of my baby, i ought to get it kicked off.

very glad to see a fitness section on the board. i think it's gonna be a very useful, REALISTIC tool for guys like us to use to help each other in our fitness plans- for motivation, for perspective, for realism. whether you're thinking about the potential woes of tomorrow, or just thinking about looking good for the ladies- a Regular-Guy approach to fitness is always best for Regular-Guys.

---

so... if for no better reason than to get some activity in the fitness subforum-

cardio aside- as we all know it's number 1.... fitness wise, what are you doing to prepare for the post-apocalyptic future?

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a health guru, but I have made a few changes to my rythm, and I can't claim that none of them were with the possibility of zombie survival in mind. I have made several changes so far, and plan more in the future. I work 5 miles from my house, so a couple months ago I bought a bike and I leave the car at home. My wife recently purchased a yoga swing that our 2 year old loves, and I try to do some strength training using it (pullups and suspended pushups(hard), rows, and positional holds) each day while my kid climbs over me for added variety. I don't do much else in the way of strength training exercises, but I am constantly carrying my 30lb child everywhere I go, and we just had a new baby, so that won't be ending anytime soon. Our family has also been working on modifying our diet to remove anything pre-packaged. We are eating less meat overall and more organic foods. I am still resisting a switch to gluten-free(stupid Costco pizza!), but I find that my body feels better in general when I don't eat foods containing gluten or red meats.

Good on you Phather.

For myself, I like to try and conserve all the gas I can. Once you realize that a good percentage goes to Arabs who really don't like us too much, filling the tank is more like kicking yourself in the nutz than we all thought it was when we were screaming about just the high prices. Now we are also arming some of our enemies every fill up.

I still drive a bubblegumload - and would like to bike but haven't gotten there yet. I work out with weights/cardio on Mon and Wed, climb Tues Thurs after work. Friday is date night with the wife and I'm generally out hitting it hard Saturday, Sunday is family time and I use to to sharpen the saw for myself. It's about balance I think.

Mostly what I'm getting into is eating better. I recently read the Zone Diet. Now, understand that I've never been able to lose any weight - ever. No matter what. Never been fat but I've tried it and failed. The Zone comes along, and bamm, I'm dropping inches and feel better. BUT I DON'T FEEL HUNGRY! following a few simple guidelines. 30 percent protein, 40 percent carbs (be careful cause some of the carbs I thought were good are trash/bubblegum for you and poison to eat -rice cakes, for instance, which dieters typically try and choke down: HORRIBLE for you) 30 percent fat (careful again) they suggest that Olive oil, NOT butter ....man I loves me some butter.....avocados and nuts, that kind of thing, fill the bill here. Woot! I don't want to preach to anyone else, I know how situational it is cause I saw that we changed AFTER the kids left the roost. We are much more likely to buy organic or more costly versions of whatever we use to do. Expensive restaurants are more likely in the mix as well. Changing my diet has had the huge benefit of making some seriously nasty artritus go away.

Eat better, exercise better, live better.

Still die at the end of course:)

Take care all

Cardio wise I walk with the family (work shift depending) we have a 2.5 mile, 45 minute neighborhood loop, we could knock it out quicker but a 5YO does not walk very fast. We also include Walmart/Safeway/RiteAid into it as well if needed. We have been doing it for just over 2 years regularly.

We also pulled a cheap ($225) treadmill from Craigslist, 1000miles later still holding up very nice for the latenights/rainy weather.

And for myself, I bike, my work commute is 31 miles round trip, carrying food/clothes/tools ...i try to do it at least 3x a week...again depending on shifts...and then a couple recreational rides a week....25-50 miles

add that to a more healthy lifestyle...less and better food with a reduction in my soda and beer

And what has this done for me...well I have dropped just about 50 pounds and kept if off the last year and dropped 3-4 pant sizes...still a little heavy for my 5'8" but a much better me.

Paleo Diet. Started 2 months ago, and it's been incredible. Thought I'd freak out not being able to eat wheat products like bread or pastas, or other grains like rice to make up for it, but I haven't been craving any of those foods at all. In order to adhere to the diet, I've completely eliminated fast food from my diet, and replaced that with meals I prepare for myself. Much to my surprise, some of the recipes I've found are fantastic.

At the same time I began the Paleo thing, I started CrossFit. I got tired of running on the hamster wheel, so after some research, I determined that CrossFit might go a long way to keeping me interested. I haven't been disappointed. The variety of the workouts have been great, and the results have been better than I had hoped for.

After 2 months, I'm down a little over 25 pounds, and I'm developing strength and stamina faster than I thought possible. At this point, I'm pretty much hooked, and have no desire to return to the bad old days.

BGRF

Between the 2 yo lab we recently adopted, setting up the steel "gong" targets (30 lb each) on the 400 range, and keeping up with clearing brush on our 10 acres I've decided that I don't necessarily need much more exercise - I will, however, be working on making the 2 mile trek with the dog up the hill to the end of the road faster. A bit of speed and endurance training never hurts. In the food arena my wife has changed her menu to a much lower carb diet as she feels better without all the pasta and sugar - as a result I have been cooking much healthier foods and can count the number of times we've had fast food in the last few months on one hand. The added bonus is I've been adding the fast food money saved to my ammo fund.

One other thing - does shooting the heavier rifle and carrying more ammo to the range count?

P90X + Paleo diet for 6 months. Then, bad lower back injury last Jan. Final back surgery last Tuesday, excited to get back to my fitness level. Doc says 3 months for full recovery. This go around will include 60 days of Insanity after P90X. Paleo diet was perfect for me.

insanity?

i've never gotten into any of the diets, favoring the traditional "eat less, move more" technique... how does the paleo diet compare to others as far as getting off it? are the results sustainable, or do you have to stay on the diet to not "bounce back?"

hey
i was on the what i call the "cave man diet"
if you cant kill it with a stick,or pick it off a bush.. dont eat it!
was on this for apx 8 month lost alot of weight several inches at the belt line
and felt great.
then i started to lose all energery and had to go back to carbs...
suddenly im now diabetic:(

i have been working out with weights for apx 3 years 3x a week
i also have a diabetic dieticain more greens less meat no sugar.
i still want to go back to the caveman...

hey
i was on the what i call the "cave man diet"
if you cant kill it with a stick,or pick it off a bush.. dont eat it!
was on this for apx 8 month lost alot of weight several inches at the belt line
and felt great.
then i started to lose all energery and had to go back to carbs...
suddenly im now diabetic:(

i have been working out with weights for apx 3 years 3x a week
i also have a diabetic dieticain more greens less meat no sugar.
i still want to go back to the caveman...

wow... do you think the paleo diet had any contribution to the onset of diabetes?

no
think i was borderline for a long time(sister and mom are)
then going back to carbs i think did it
of course i was not eating any sugar either.
my motto was "if it was white its not right" white bread, white rice, sugar etc.
i think i might just try going with potatoes for some carbs as the are naturally occuring food
maybe this will keep me from bottoming out on energy

cu

DH2013

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR