JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think for this discusion I would like to rule out rimfire from the mix because we all know you just can't find enough of it much less buy enough:p.

This has been a growing curiosity for some time now so I thought it might be a fun low risk topic :D.

I was talking with a buddy from out of state and ammo came around as a topic. He stated that he had 300 rounds of .45acp for his pistol and figured that was plenty. He doesn't go shooting much.

If I were down to 300 rounds for my primary pistol, I would be selling things to be able to buy another 600 at least - but I shoot more.

I had been trying to keep each caliber above 1,000 rounds but am starting to think maybe I should stock more then that as I can afford it.

So what do you go by? 1k per gun? 1k per caliber? 10k? Just a box of 50 total?

I reload so I don't keep a lot of ammo on hand. When I want to shoot a bunch my machine makes 450 an hour. I do keep enough components on hand for matches and fun shoots.

Depending on what you are doing doing (fun, training or competition) it is easy to expend over a 1000 rounds of ammunition in a weekend. Not all of one caliber, but 1000 rounds is fairly easy to do in a few days.

I would suggest keep at least 2 trips worth around for your primary firearms. Pistol, carbine and long rifle each will have about 2000 rounds of ammunition. It seems that even writing down the price you paid and date on the boxes helps you keep track of the stock.

For the non-used firearms, the rare ones which you pull out for friends, a few hundred should be fine. Though again, picking up a box here or there as you see it, so you don't run out.

Now, with all that said, if you are a prepper... 10,000 each of .22 LR, .223/5.56 and which ever pistol you use. :D

Quick edit, make sure to store it all in a nice room temperature (or little cooler) location. You don't want heat on it or extreme cold. Otherwise you can damage your ammo. A locking cabinet or safe isn't a horrible idea either.

I'm going through the same question. I shoot 9mm and 22lr. Like stated above, 22lr is a different animal. I have a year's supply at current consumption rate so only buy when I see a price I like and am picky about the brand/ type. The 9mm is complicated (or made simpler) by the fact that I can go to my local Bimart and get a decent brand and a good price any day. So they might as well store it as me. Since I currently shoot about 200 rounds a week, I've been keeping around 400 in stock. I'm gearing up for my first USPSA match next month so that might alter my buying habits. I've been wisely advised to practice with the ammo I intend to compete with which might necessitate a little more stock piling.

Just a point of view:D , inflation tends to make everything cost more as time goes on. Used to buy 9mm at wally world for $11 per hundred in the USA target brand then all of a sudden you could not find any 9. How much is it today and how much will it be tomorrow?

Just a point of view:D , inflation tends to make everything cost more as time goes on. Used to buy 9mm at wally world for $11 per hundred in the USA target brand then all of a sudden you could not find any 9. How much is it today and how much will it be tomorrow?

True that. As a new shooter, I feel like I missed out on the glory days of cheap ammo. Like I said, under current market conditions, I'm fine with Bimart storing my supply for me. My target price (pun intended) hovers around $25 per 100 for USA made target grade. Changes in availability and price will definitely change my habits.

Well, I have a lot of ammo and am constantly buying when I find a deal. I have at least 10,000 rounds in any caliber I shoot often (I do have a .270 hunting rifle and it is the exception. A few hundred rounds for it goes a long way).

In my "main" calibers I keep a lot more than 10,000.

One thing to consider though is the number of firearms you have in a given caliber. I have 25 or so firearms that fire .223/5.56 and have been shooting a few of them quite a bit. To have a 1000 rounds for each of them in my mind is a minimum which turns into a fair sized pile.

I also shoot a lot when I do shoot. I almost never go shooting without a 1000 rounds plus and sometimes I shoot it all.

I also have a good place to store it and enough disposable income that I am not going without milk and crackers to by ammo.

It's all in how you see it. I would rather have two nice guns and 10,000 rounds for each than 5 nice guns and a 100 rounds each. But that's just me and most probably would rather have five nice guns which might end up being expensive clubs.

Today you can run down to Wally World and buy pretty much what ever you want but as has been shown in the past it won't always be that way. Remember all the folks complaining about ammo shortages? Yeah, I was not one of them :D

regardless of amount you decide.... I have found that having set numbers and rotating stock is key. I shoot until I hit my reserve limit. say for example I want to have 10k .22 rounds at all times. anything I buy after that is for shooting, not storing, so I may have 13000 .22 rounds of that only 3k is useable.

Does that make sense?

Like right now I'm trying to get to 3k .45 and I cant / won't shoot .45 until I het that and have a store.

regardless of amount you decide.... I have found that having set numbers and rotating stock is key. I shoot until I hit my reserve limit. say for example I want to have 10k .22 rounds at all times. anything I buy after that is for shooting, not storing, so I may have 13000 .22 rounds of that only 3k is useable.

Does that make sense?

Like right now I'm trying to get to 3k .45 and I cant / won't shoot .45 until I het that and have a store.

I like that theory;):cool:

True that. As a new shooter, I feel like I missed out on the glory days of cheap ammo. Like I said, under current market conditions, I'm fine with Bimart storing my supply for me. My target price (pun intended) hovers around $25 per 100 for USA made target grade. Changes in availability and price will definitely change my habits.

if you wait for that change it will be too late....

Ill delve back into my original post.
Id say quite a bit because:

There will be another panic.
There will be a ban on online ammo sales.

Those factors alter price and availability.
I stocked up on quality brass cased and match ammo first, then I spent a little on steel cased ammo for my plinking days.
I now have enough to where:
If I want to shoot I just pull from the stash and dont worry about how much I have on hand because Im just using my plinking ammo.
I have my "good stuff" for zombies, tyrants and shortages/price spikes.

I stock up on what I shoot the most.
.223/5.56, 7.62x39, 9mm & 45
While I have others, I dont shoot them as often and should I choose to shoot them Ill go out and find a box of ammo where ever seeings how its not going to be in bulk and I dont expect those odd ball calibers to be cheap.

Safe number is:
1000-1500 for pistols
1500-2000 for rifles
In addition to how ever many rounds it would take to load ALL your mags at one time.

Thats what you dont touch.

Then purchase a few hundred rounds specifically for plinking. That way there is no "ammo usage guilt" followed after a day at the range nor "low ammo panic" if things get scarce.

I do need to work on my .38/357 but Im content where my #'s stand.

How much Ammo should I keep on hand?

you need to store as much ammo as you shoot annually for each year an ammo shortage lasts.... thats store not shoot...

the question to ask here is how long was the last ammo shortage? the next one I would add another year to that....

someone told me every presidential election theres an ammo shortage..

I reload 9mm, 45acp and 380acp. As 9mm is my primary weapon I currently have over 5000 rounds reloaded for it, about 1000 for the 45 and as I just started reloading the 380 I don't have too much of it yet. Factory ammo on hand is about 2000 rounds for the 9mm, 1000 for the 45 and 1000 for the 380. I think you should have what you can afford.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top