JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Back when life was simpler I ran 2K-3K through my various firearms a month, and I'd recommend having 6 months worth on hand. Then I moved, bought a new house, etc and didn't have as much time to shoot, but kept up the restocking. Now I have more time to shoot again, and ammo to do it with.

Happy accidents happen, let me tell you about the time I accidentally overstocked on Costco TP ...

I haven't sweated about ammo for the past couple of decades having purchased when
they were on sale, incrementally, just like adding money to my savings account, i.e.
a little at a time. So I never felt angst....that is, until I decided I needed one particular
type: shotgun slugs. Now, I can't find what I want anywhere. I've given up being smug
and wack myself on the forehead having been lax. Now I stand with you in line.

mememe_01d6aeb40b613eb764e31d445ccbb4f6-1.jpg

I remember walking out of a gun store one time with 3k of 45 acp jacketed bullets and thought "why did I park the car all the way over there....100 feet away....instead of the handicap spot?" :)

Last Edited:
Let's think about this logically. You have to factor in how much you'd expect to use in defense, training/function checking and reserves for anomalies.

While it's popular to say a man can never have too many guns, knives, flashlights, books or ammo, trust me, you can. I used to have more than 4,000 books for example. Most I never read and never was going to, so I sold them. I have maybe 3 boxes of books now, a normal amount. No longer moving them from house to house.

The same can be said for ammo. If you shoot 100 rounds a year and you expect to live another 50 years, 5K for training. Then add say, 500 rds for JHP for loading mags NOW and after you've expended some. Then add another 3K for practice reserves in case you shoot more some years, get a new gun you want to test, etc. Then add another 300 rds of JHP for reserves. That's a practical amount.

Don't be one of these guys who has 300 guns and 5 million rounds of ammunition at home then loses them all in a fire or other....situation.

Having a practical amount is easier to manage logistically. When you shoot some, replace some while you can. But even if they cut you off 10 years from now, you'll still have WAAAY more than you need. I barely shoot so I sold/am selling my stuff and it feels LIBERATING.

For a first time gun owner, once they've picked their weapon, how much ammo is a "reasonable" amount to keep on hand for practice, self defense, extra mags loaded, easily portable if needing to "bug out", or trading for the apocalypse, etc before you start getting "toilet paper hoarding" level absurd? 1K rounds?
10k more.

If you only have one firearm it simplifies things. If it is a 50 BMG, 250 rounds could do for a lifetime. 22lr 25,000 could last a lifetime. It has been a long time since I felt like panic buying, and it is a good feeling. Calculate how many you plan to shoot in a year, multiply by 5 and you won't feel unprepared.

Well, lets see, take your daily shooting numbers, double that for stashing away, and double that again for SHTF, and then, figure you should double that stash for Just in Case, and that's probably the correct answer! :p:D

My normal "Combat" larpin load out, I carry 10 30 round mags of 5.56 in my chest rig, 2 bandoleers totaling 12 20 round mags of 7.62X51, and 2 spare 16 round duty pistol mags, PLUS, another 12 round pistol mag for my back up! I also carry 4 six shot reloads pre rolled for my revolver, and enough loose bullets, powder, and primers to triple that, and then carry another bandoleer with 6 double pockets ( 4 each) of 5 round stripper clips for .30 U.S. 1906!
on top of that, I carry 20 rounds of 12 gau slug, 8 rounds #4 buck, and 8 rounds 000 Buck :cool:
Weight of all that is getting to close to 50 pounds!

When my Dad was alive, I didn't have to worry about it. +--500 round centerfire outings were common. I would unload them and he would reload them. Now I am more frugal, but still like shooting at least 50-100 rounds per semi-auto rifle per outing and 50 per pistol depending on what I bring to shoot - total around 200-250 rounds. I still have1000's of his reloads from the 1990's. Rimfire has never been a problem.

When I get my reloading bench back in order, I will feel more secure.

I had to move my ammo to a concrete floor, the joists were complaining. Is that enough?

I don't think of ammo as a 'use by' date issue. I think of it pragmatically, i.e.
as a tool...which is also a valuable commodity. I can use it when it proves
useful, or I can trade ...like James Garner, in the Great Escape. That is
why I have no compunction about accumulating an inventory and doing
so safely. Heck, I'll space them out around the foundation so they can
act as earthquake bracing or something. :)

Just think, We could go back to the late 1800s and trade a "Shot" loaded cartridge for a SHOT of Whiskey! ;)
@Andy54Hawken might have to come up with a different barter, as his shots are all loose, might have to have two shot glasses, one for him to dump powder and ball for payment, and the other for shootin purposes! :D

well it doesnt matter how much you have if you get shot. if you cant shoot enough to get their ammo they going to get yours
I think that most peeps are speaking about the "no ammo" situation we find ourselves in now, and want to have a good sized stockpile as a hedge against further price increases,, or a political change.
But in a real SHTF scenario, what you describe is the bottom line truth.
And then having pallets of ammo won't do you any good, unless you somehow think that you're going to be holding-off hordes of attackers,, like the Alamo,, and they all died.

Well, my tactical vest is carrying 240 rounds of 5.56 right now. When I played tournament paintball I went through 2500 rounds a day, so if the S truly HTF, I'd want 10K.

Unfortunately, SHTF not going to be like getting pined up in a Dorito or diving for the Snake. If at my house sure, then I am a back player in the home position dumping every pod on my overstuffed load out at everything that moves on the other side. (paintballers will get it) Out in the real streets, it's all about light and fast lighter loadout with resupply in the trucks and 4 other locations in the area.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top