Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

How much ammo do you like to keep on hand?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by twoclones, Apr 25, 2011.

1. twoclones

twoclones Tri-Cities, WA Well-Known Member

Just wondering how much reloaded ammo others like to keep on hand...

I try to keep at least 1,000 rounds for each caliber I use frequently. 1,000 seemed like a lot when I first started reloading but not so much now.

2. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

1000 is nothing. That is kind of a minimum if you ask me. Again that is for guns I shoot a lot. I do have low round counts on guns with rare ammo or ones that only get shot on occasion.

Enough is when you don't have to worry about ammo shortages.

I know you were talking about reloading but for me I buy ammo when the price is right and stock up on it for the lean times. Plus while I may not shoot it now I have the money to buy it now so when I am old and on a fixed income and ammo prices are insane I don't have to worry about how to pay for more ammo. Planning ahead is not hoarding.

I am still shooting 7.62x39 for about $90/k, .223 for about $120/k, .308 for $200/k I am glad I bought when I did.

3. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Only 1,000? I keep that much in my truck.

My "Minimum Stock Levels" are 5,000 rounds of .223 for my hungry AR's, 3,000 for my 9mm's and 500 rounds of .308, half is 175gr BT-HP "Long Range" ammo and the other half of the .308 ammo is in 168 gr Ballistic Tip for shorter range.

When the stocks get down to these levels I have a reloading session to bring it up to as much as twice that.

There are two givens in life. You can never have too much Fun, or too much ammo.

4. OneManWolfpack78

OneManWolfpack78 Federal Way Member

Wow you guys have a ton of ammo!...that's quite a bit for target practice.

5. deadshot2

Some of it is for when the "Targets might start shooting back".

6. chevytatt

chevytatt Salem Member

I'm also pretty big on having large quantities on hand at any given time. My ideal is atleast 1000 rounds for my higher velocity stuff, 5000 for each pistol caliber, 10,000 .223, and who in the **** knows how much 22. Again, that's just my ideal, I'm still working on getting it up to that point but it's getting there.

7. Nwcid

Well I guess that just depends on how much you shoot and how often you shoot. Also how much you want to spend when shooting as buying in quantity when on sale reduces your cost.

8. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

the only thing I have 1000 for is my 22
    long rifles .233 upwards 3000 and 7.62x39 more than 3000
    pistol my new 40 S&W is just under 2k 9mm upwards 2000 and 45acp is also 2000 range

When I get down to my last box of 500 I get ready to load up again... prime reason I am heading down to reload more next month...

9. Rammit

Rammit Bothel Member

I have a very large stockpile of reloading components probably enough for 10k+ of my 40/10, I also have massive stockpiles of 223 brass and bullets, I usually do not have much more then 1k of each ready to go at any given time, I dont see the need in having 10k of loaded ammo sitting around, When i want to shoot alot I just load them up, I also have a decent amount of ammo in calibers i don't currently own just because it was really cheap, such as 5.45x39 and 7.62tok

10. HollisOR

HollisOR Rural OR, South of Dallas Active Member

I like to keep reloading components where I can shoot for 5 years with out buying any more components. If they make it difficult, I can go for 10 years are 1/2 the shooting.

Loaded ammo varies, depending on what the round is and how much I shoot it. Plinking stuff, I like to have a lot.

11. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

I quit counting a long time ago.

12. jvbutter

jvbutter Cornelius, Or Active Member

Whew.... Good to hear... the .223 i have is used for my Mini14, but more stockpiling for my future AR15 purchase... lol

13. Rammit

Rammit Bothel Member

Its hard to beat 1260 rounds for 100$ for a gun thats 200$ and you can shoot it in mosins, and one day il get around to building an ak74, I have the "gun" but none of the other parts that need to be riveted on for it to work

14. salmonriverjohn

salmonriverjohn N.W Oregon coast, Gods country Well-Known Member

The only time have too much ammo,,,,,,,,is when the place is on fire!:paranoid:

15. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

DO NOT come near my house if it catches fire....nuff said.

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  16. deadshot2

My Motto: "There are only two kinds of ammo. There's SOME ammo and there's MORE ammo. There is no such thing as ENOUGH ammo!

titsonritz and (deleted member) like this.
  17. caden08

caden08 washougal Member

+1!

I keep 3k min on hand for my AR and 9mm. Right now however its around 5k each plus another 5k approx of .22. and 2k of 7.62X39. :) Im ready for the Zombies!

18. WIRED tactical

WIRED tactical Snohomish County, WA Member

Where are you finding .223 for 120 bucks/1000 ??? Is this the price if you reload it all yourself?

19. Nwcid

If you are talking about my post read the whole thing again;

I know you were talking about reloading but for me I buy ammo when the price is right and stock up on it for the lean times. Plus while I may not shoot it now I have the money to buy it now so when I am old and on a fixed income and ammo prices are insane I don't have to worry about how to pay for more ammo. Planning ahead is not hoarding.

I am still shooting 7.62x39 for about $90/k, .223 for about $120/k, .308 for $200/k I am glad I bought when I did.

20. moose

moose northwet coast Well-Known Member

Only 2 situations when you have too much ammo: when you are on fire or swimming.

I bought most of my ammo fort back 10 - 15 years ago when it was cheap. Didn't seem cheap at the time but I'm glad I did.