JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this answer depends on how frequently you shoot 22LR. But aside from that obvious answer, I'm curious as to how many 22LR all of you either have in your reserve or what your goal is? At what number do you consider to be hoarding and too much? Or do you believe that there's never enough 22LR you can have?

I got into firearms about 3 months before Sandy Hook. That event was horrendous in terms of the level of tragedy and evil of course. But strictly speaking in terms of firearm shortage, it felt terrible to experience all those empty shelves. Because I was a beginner, I had no idea such a thing could happen. I told myself when/if this shortage ends, I'll make sure I was prepared.

Plus now my kids are getting old enough to shoot. And I would like to have enough 22LR ammo to properly introduce them to shooting. And so I've been buying and saving them up; but I wonder how much is too much or how much is considered hoarding to the point of me being inconsiderate to my fellow shooters. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

I don't shoot much 22LR and when I see prices nearly as high as what is costs me to reload for a handgun then I'm not going to buy it. I have around 1000 and I can't even tell you how many years ago it was that I purchased the oldest box of 22LR. Stockpile whatever makes sense for your needs and ability to pay for.

I thought 30k was enough a couple years back, I'm down to 2500. for 22lr I don't think there is ever enough. it was ammo well spent turned a couple dozen people into new firearm owners. but damn, I wish I had 30k again.

I try to keep a years worth in reserve.

Sometimes I don't shoot as much as planned and have extra or I shoot more and have to look around a bit for it, but normally I look for it long before I am anywhere near running out.

I agree it is hard to spend the prices they want today but .22's and coke cans are like eating a favorite dish you grew up with, it's just comforting to the soul to plink with a .22.

I know this answer depends on how frequently you shoot 22LR. But aside from that obvious answer, I'm curious as to how many 22LR all of you either have in your reserve or what your goal is? At what number do you consider to be hoarding and too much? Or do you believe that there's never enough 22LR you can have?

I got into firearms about 3 months before Sandy Hook. That event was horrendous in terms of the level of tragedy and evil of course. But strictly speaking in terms of firearm shortage, it felt terrible to experience all those empty shelves. Because I was a beginner, I had no idea such a thing could happen. I told myself when/if this shortage ends, I'll make sure I was prepared.

Plus now my kids are getting old enough to shoot. And I would like to have enough 22LR ammo to properly introduce them to shooting. And so I've been buying and saving them up; but I wonder how much is too much or how much is considered hoarding to the point of me being inconsiderate to my fellow shooters. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

There is no such thing as hoarding guns or ammo... Your just better supplied.

When you see some at a reasonable (for these days) price, buy what you can! Don't worry overmuch about what others think!
If you are training your children, that is a perfectly good reason to stock up! There is no round count on how many you should have. Every situation is different, with too many variables to consider. I have a lot! Most bought in the days before shortages. If I run across a good deal, I'll buy a brick or a couple boxes, not all I can get! You can ,kind of, stretch the use you are getting out of your .22's by using a certain amount for only serious practice of the basics. Sight picture, trigger control, breathing, stance, etc! I kind of envy you teaching the kids, it's a special time in your relationship! Have fun:D

I do two things! I buy enough to keep shooting at our normal level and I keep a "supply" for future needs and in case a shortage or ban were to happen! I don't think there is a Set amount that you "need" but at some point I would say you know when you have enough. I think I have 20k worth for all need, and I know I have half that in really top quality for hunting, so it all really depends on what YOU decide your needs/limits are! I would get on the ball right now, TODAY, and get what ever you can while you can!

I echo the statements about buying a box / brick whenever you can.
Buying a little ammo at a time can add up and is easier on the wallet if you are on a budget.
It won't go bad if you store it properly and its always good to have enough ammo to share with your shooting partners.
Andy

I have about 16,000 rounds of it right now. I will continue to buy it if I find it for a good price. I don't think you can ever have too much ammo, especially since you cannot reload 22.

Since the dreadful series of boating accidents on Lake Louise I have no need for any ammo at all, howEVER, if I did have any .22's, the question could be prefaced with:

If .22 LR became unavailable let's say, one year from now, July 30, 2017, and you knew it would become unavailable, how many rounds would be a comfortable amount, knowing there would be no more sold in the USA, period?

This becomes a question of life expectancy x shooting volume. If you shoot 1,200 rounds per year and expect to have 20 shooting-years ahead, then there's that answer. 24,000. 50 bricks of 500.

Etc.

Expanding on this idea a little-

The way I've looked at this whole situation since December 15, 2012 is: it's not a bad idea to plan for everything related to shooting to stop being available, someday.

This means spare parts for all equipment beginning with the most likely to wear out, break and be banned stuff: spare bolt carrier group, spare spring kits, bolt cam pin, firing pins; everything should have a backup and some items have several, (such as that pesky little spring behind the Glock firing pin safety :().

If you ever wanted a suppressor now is the time to obtain one/them because the magic wand can work both ways.

Not a bad idea to concentrate on the more controversial 5.56 such as the light AP M855, remember how BATFE got on their high horse about that not long ago? They could get there again real quick, what with the police ambushes lately.

Be prepared.

Hoarding - to me anyway - is when you have too many, more than you will ever use.

With .22 rimfire, that is pretty hard to do.

I have somewhere between 15K and 20K, and even though I don't shoot much, I don't think that is enough. I intend to shoot more after I retire, so I am stocking up now.

Also, don't get just LR, get all the variants - CB, Long, Short, Velocitors and that kind of ammo, target ammo and so on.

I think the ammo is coming back online. I see the limits raising and the pricing coming down a little. At least once a month I see where I can get several thousand rounds of bulk ammo for the going prices (less than 8 cents, usually 7 cents or less per round).

Not to support thread drift, but 5.56 was mentioned, I would go after that one with gusto while a person can still find it reasonably priced! Keep a watch list for all flavors you have and need! 7.62X51 ect! There will come a push to limit these as well as panic buying and hording, so get what ever you need as soon as you can!

I had 10K before my last tour overseas in 2008. When I got back in 2010, and picked up my guns from my sister's house, there was a sandwich bag of 22 in an otherwise empty ammo can. My brother-in-law's response, "Oh, are you sure that was your .22? I went up to 8K by 2013, and down to 2K as of yesterday. I picked up 3600 rounds today though, so I feel better. I shoot 2-3K per year since I have silencers, and love to take new people out. I don't want the limited availability of ammo to hang over their first time out. They can burn a mag, and have fun.

Last Edited:
10K is a solid number to have as a whole. With the bricks, its easy to get up there and it wont "totally" break the bank (even at scalper prices) especially compared to stocking up on center fire ammo.

Id budget how many rounds you "feel" you'll need per year. That way your envisioned scenario cannot dissapoint you should you exceed or maintain a stock of 22 with your predicted 22 yearly usage. (Im assuming small game hunting or perhaps for the utmost silence?) id also stock up on .177 pellets and a few decent fps+ break actions if small game is part of the scenario.

If I had any, it MIGHT be about 6000 rounds. All copper plated quality stuff. No Thunderbolts, No Goldens or otherwise. I walk past many bricks of low end stuff and occasionally buy more when I find rounds worth buying.

I hear that, I try and get the Eley and the fed gold match when ever I find it! I still have a full case of Anshutz match, all from the same lot, but I only use a few rounds here and there, saving it all for when I NEED it! spendy, but worth it!

I have 60K ish of .22lr at the moment. I bought it all before there ever was such a thing as a .22LR shortage and paid pennies for it. Most of the folks who knew I had a pile thought I was some sort of crazy. At .02/rd 60,000 rounds is only $1200 worth of ammo.

For the last several years I have not touched the pile and only shot what I could manage to buy (mostly shooting older stuff and replacing it with new) I have still managed to shoot a lot of .22 and never paid any of the crazy prices only buying a little when there was plenty on the shelf. I even gave away quite a bit to folks who I felt really needed some.

I have a lot of ammo. Over the last maybe 6 years I have spent probably 60% of my guns and ammo budget on the ammo side. It seemed like me to be a better investment in a lot of ways. As it stands now I can shoot for several years without having to worry about what ammo prices do. If they go down, I'll buy more yet. All of it was bought cheap, I have never been a part of any panic buying. That is one thing I dont understand. I am sure there are people that would accuse me of "hording" or "driving up the price" Which is absolute BS. I never buy when its scarce or the price high and I dont sell to take advantage of panic buyers either. I have no effect on the market because I am not part of the market when there is a panic. I just sit on the sidelines and say "told you so"

I have 60K ish of .22lr at the moment. I bought it all before there ever was such a thing as a .22LR shortage and paid pennies for it. Most of the folks who knew I had a pile thought I was some sort of crazy. At .02/rd 60,000 rounds is only $1200 worth of ammo.

For the last several years I have not touched the pile and only shot what I could manage to buy (mostly shooting older stuff and replacing it with new) I have still managed to shoot a lot of .22 and never paid any of the crazy prices only buying a little when there was plenty on the shelf. I even gave away quite a bit to folks who I felt really needed some.

I have a lot of ammo. Over the last maybe 6 years I have spent probably 60% of my guns and ammo budget on the ammo side. It seemed like me to be a better investment in a lot of ways. As it stands now I can shoot for several years without having to worry about what ammo prices do. If they go down, I'll buy more yet. All of it was bought cheap, I have never been a part of any panic buying. That is one thing I dont understand. I am sure there are people that would accuse me of "hording" or "driving up the price" Which is absolute BS. I never buy when its scarce or the price high and I dont sell to take advantage of panic buyers either. I have no effect on the market because I am not part of the market when there is a panic. I just sit on the sidelines and say "told you so"
formed steel and lead are the hot commodities..

Probably zero.
I've shot a whole bunch in my life. Shot a tiny bit of .22 in my day.. in comparison.
Why even bother was/is my motto.. though of course I got a couple .22's and a handful of said amoes. It's a non-issue to me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top