JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just trying to get a feel on what other fellow gun enthusiast think.

I think the scalpers are the worst when it comes to the shortage, but ammo hoarders are another problem we have (much smaller IMO). I'm guilty of holding onto a small stock pile. How much .22 ammo is too much? How much do you like to have on hand (ball park figure)? If you have the amount that you think is adequate and there is a 500 round box at the store, do you buy it?

For more than 20 years I've had a stash equal to about three years of shooting. Before this shortage, I would buy when it was cheap and on sale to replace what I had shot. I think I'll be able to out last the shortage and will stock up again when the prices are reasonable again. Preparing ahead does not make one a hoarder.

I don't know how much too much is. As TB said, I have enough ammo to shoot for a long time. It is not a matter of how much ammo I have, it has to do with how much it costs. Right now I have no intention or need to buy any. That does not mean I would not buy at the right price.

Even one of my recent threads on magazines shows this point. I found a deal on some magazines. I did not need more. I even tried to convince myself I should not buy them. The deal was right, so I did buy them.

I am not sure why you or I should be guilty (your word) for having ammo. To me it is no different then having a savings account. Do you feel guilty for having one? I sure don't, and the size of my ammo savings account should not make a person feel guilty.

Last Edited:
The only ammo I buy is .22 rimfire and 20 and 12ga shotgun. I make everything else so I buy powder, bullets, and primers. And I buy them all the time. If I load a lot I have less on the shelves in my Toy closet if I don't it builds up. Same with .22 since Dec 2012 with the current stupid started I had about 2) 50 cal ammo cans full of .22 rimfire collected up to that amount over 30 years (yes I have .22 rim fire that I bought over 30 years ago) during the time since Dec 2012 I have bought up about 1600 rds of .22 and either given as gifts or shot up pretty close to that same amount. SO in the last 17 months my "stockpile" hasn't changed much maybe 200-300 rounds one way or the other.

If I find .22 ammo on the shelf somewhere I would certainly buy a brick or so. If I had the money in my pocket and found a deal on a case (depending on what it was) I might even buy a case.

As to how much should I have or do I need or do I want. I don't know I don't think about it. Any more then I think about how many rifles I should own or why. I just do.

deadhorsesm.jpg

I have enough for SHTF needs and to cover the next year or two. If I found it on the shelf I would buy because I have friends who are in need.

How much you need is up to you and how much you shoot and what your SHTF plans are. This IS going to get better. The best way to stop it is to stop paying scalpers.

Good question. I've wondered what the limit is and what defines "hoarding."

I try to keep between 1000 and 2000 rounds at any one time, and shoot about 400-500 per week.

If I saw bulk on the shelf, it would depend. I wouldn't buy it if I knew my gun hates it. I might get one that I've never tried before, and most likely would buy if I knew it works reliably.

That means you need to find 22 ammo on the shelf every 2-4 weeks. How do you do it? In the past year I've seen 22 ammo in stock maybe four times total.
I've never seen 22 ammo just sitting on the shelf without doing some preparation ahead of time.
I use FindMeAmmo.com, then Walmart's site to find what their system has in stock. If you have a smart phone, you can set it up to alert you. Show up at 7AM the next morning and it's worked out pretty well. I have only once ever encountered another customer at the gun counter at this time. I've scored 2 bulk packs at Walmart on different Saturday mornings this way in the past month.
Lately, I've seen on their site, with my own eyes, and sometimes verified by phone that bulk packs can sometimes last until 9:30AM and sometimes even as late as 5PM. Some stores will sell it virtually as soon as it shows "in stock." They don't wait until the next morning to put it out. Some stores won't put it all out all at once. It helps to get to know how your local store puts it out, then you'll recognize the pattern.
I used to use BrassBadger, but they haven't been showing real-time lately. What they do indicate is that some items not listed on WM's site have been moving in and out of stores this past week (Blazers and Golden Bullet 525-pack).
Some of the local gunstores also make announcements on their Facebook pages, and I've gotten bulk ammo at retail prices that way too.

I've been able to keep a good stock around, anywhere between 1500-2500 rounds and keep my wife and I shooting. If I see a 500 round box I'll grab it regardless of what I've got at home. I am not hoarding, scalping or stockpiling. I am simply keeping enough ammo around so if they wife and I want to spend an afternoon at the range we won't be shooting through everything we have.

I agree with Trailboss. Most of my 22lr I bought on sale before SH. Last year I was able to buy about what I shot. But I did buy a bolt action rifle to slow down on shooting 22s. If things ever get back to normal my stock will be well above 10,000 rounds. Lately I've been buying 7.62x39, x54R & 5.45. But those prices are creaping up because of the Russia/Ukraine situation. I'm also starting to reload. Before SH I could buy S&B 9mm at NWA for $10 a box. That's $200 a 1000. You can't even get steel cased for that low now.

I still think Federal is a big part of the 22lr shortage.

I have enough to go shooting, but not enough that I wouldn't buy more if I found it in stock for a reasonable price.

and definitely not enough subsonic ammo which is what I am primarily after right now.

I think the Hoarding label is a subjective thing. In my mind, a hoarder would have more than they could reasonably use in a few years of regular shooting. I've been shooting since the late 70's. Supply of .22 and center-fire ammo has varied several times for the usual reasons. I got in the habit back then of buying a brick or two when I saw it on sale (not recently!). I have enough that when I go shooting with my son and grandson, we can plink away without worrying about the ammo count. If/when .22 is regularly available, I'll restock as needed. One upside for the .22 fan is that guns and .22 specific gear (scopes, etc) are often on sale recently..

I have about 3-4000rnds.
But seriously.. Its JUST .22!
Now 9mm is a different story... And if my steel cased .223 or 7.62x39 goes dark.. Well then Ill get uppity.
Dems is migh trainin ammo.

The only way for the market to fully reset is for the market to become utterly saturated, flooded with .22 and other various unobtainable calibers. I seriously don't see the market going back to normal anytime soon.. Well at least for .22..
Walmart and other stores have "lifted" the ammo box limit.. So perhaps they know something?

I seriously think when the politicians thought up limiting ammo purchases they saw an opportunity when the panic set it.. We essentially did it to ourselves..
Perhaps the new norm? I should certainly hope not.. But could our firearms structure handle another massive panic?

If .22 is what youre after..Ive placed a CCI mini mag brick in a hidden location off 26.
Find it and its yours..

*Hint:I put it next to a tree.. ;)

Most people think they'll never be able to get any more ever so they figure a lifetime supply is enough.
It's not like you can stroll in anywhere and replace the 500 you shot last week for $20 any time you like.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top