JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
How many of you train either a martial art or a combat sport?

Lets face it, you can't have a gun all the time, its a fact.
There are some instances where deadly force is not called for, what then?

What do you train, how often and why?

This isn't intended to be a discussion on the most 'effective' style. I dont want to hear style 'X' will rock your style 'Y'. Remember it's the man in the shoes not the shoes...

Just a what and why!

In fact lets take it a bit further who stays fit enough to fight (or run;))?
Fitness can take you a long way in a altercation, your life might depend on it.

I watch Jet Li, Jackie Chan, Chuck Norris and Steven Seagal movies.. I have found that holding on hand behind my back and bit** slapping the bad guy really works... Thank you Steven! you NEVER get hit

I have trained in Brazilian Jujitsu and Boxing, both are great for self defense in different situations. Getting fit was one of my main goals for training (lost 50lbs). Had a rib injury a while back so I'm taking a break, great hobby tho.. cant wait till I'm at the point where I can compete!

A friend and I throw on some gloves and box a bit (maybe once every other week)...once his knee heals up I hope to train with more Jujistu with him...we were both instructor certified in the service.

How many of you train either a martial art or a combat sport?

Lets face it, you can't have a gun all the time, its a fact.
There are some instances where deadly force is not called for, what then?

What do you train, how often and why?

This isn't intended to be a discussion on the most 'effective' style. I dont want to hear style 'X' will rock your style 'Y'. Remember it's the man in the shoes not the shoes...

Just a what and why!

I have studied American Kenpo for many years, because I am one 5'2" and I needed a equalizer. Also since I carry a small gun, my training, speed, would enable me to pull my .32 out for use, possibly. Also in Kenpo we have practical gun disarms for front and back. Do they work? Yep! But when you move there has to be no doubt.

I'm not used to this board stuff; here's a more complete answer:
Since I am only 5'2", slim and cannot take a punch I started studying Kenpo karate when I was 23. I looked at a lot of arts, but this one was fantastic. The speed and moves of Kenpo are very interesting and effective.
I'm now an old man, yet I can still do Kenpo and practice it every week. I carry a gun, but you may not be able to draw it out in time. But my Kenpo gives me the reaction time and moves I need in order to be able to draw my gun out in time.
I practice Kenpo techniques and kicks three times a week for about twenty minutes each time. My techniques still explode in movement as when I was young, but now I get tired quick, so twenty minutes is my limit.
My gun is only a part of the equation. I add my speed, self-defense movements, ability to use sticks, knives and cane with professional Kenpo ability and then I might be able to save my old bacon if need be.
Fitness is only so good for the young. I am still in good shape now in my sixties, but I do not fool myself into thinking I am exactly the way I was in my younger years. I would not now run more than a block away from danger. Because I would lose my energy, strength and wind quickly, therefore I should stand and fight. But if I were young, I would run like the wind away from danger.
I feel blessed to be in a state that allows honest citizens to carry firearms. In other states citizens are made to be sheep, where only the criminals carry guns. I think that the people that make these so called laws that prohibit honest citizens from carrying guns, must be paid off by a mafia type criminal element.

I'm out of shape now and need to get back to some kind of physical training, but I wrestled in high school and college, learned to box, and studied tang soo do and aikido. If I were fit, I'd feel fairly confident in defending myself.

Played offensive line for 10 years in Fb, elementary, middleschool, highschool, college. Punch with the inside palm of your hand, not the closed fist. Keep your balance, stagger your feet, and keep your head back. Know where your QB is behind you (or wife) accourding to what angle your attacker is coming at you from. Worst comes to worst, Cut block him and blow his knees out :)

I do both Muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Stopped competing in Muay Thai a while back. Now I compete in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu competitions. Both are pretty damn applicable in real world situations.

I'm too small for Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and also I wouldn't want to be tied up on one guy if there are other attackers. I better stick to Kenpo finger breaks, throat attckers, eyes poke and groin shots. nothing personal.

Played offensive line for 10 years in Fb, elementary, middleschool, highschool, college. Punch with the inside palm of your hand, not the closed fist. Keep your balance, stagger your feet, and keep your head back. Know where your QB is behind you (or wife) accourding to what angle your attacker is coming at you from. Worst comes to worst, Cut block him and blow his knees out :)

HAHAH....when all else fails on the line drop and roll.

In JKD we train with every weapon we have.. one in particuilar in light of your comments is the finger jab. Same a s a Western boxing jab but with all four fingers extended and the shot aimed at your opponents eyes

Nasty little surprise there that can open them up for our main offensive weapon in this scenario.. Bruce Lee's (modified Weng Chun) Straight Blast

<broken link removed>

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xPkA2nFMHU

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmZiSLJyJc4&feature=related

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN7p-F8Ma7U&feature=related

Part 4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxysOMWI0P0&feature=related

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69mLZnCe7g&feature=related

Part 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i69mLZnCe7g&feature=related

In Kenpo we have alot of eye pokes with two fingers, or "spear" all fingers together, or a thumb and forefinger pintch to inside of eyes. One move we do is the "claw" to the face. In some of our technqiues I think the claw is overdone. Sometimes I'll use the claw 4-5 times in a row. But hey, overall I like the art/sysem.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top