JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The desk Sargent at SE Precinct in PDX, years ago, told me that it is a weapon. Just don't make it a concealed weapon! I never have! :)

Just become a cripple, and then carry a walking cane:

canne-defense-1.jpg

Haha.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who used the term "Tanya Harding" when referencing to a busted knee or leg.

I've carried an Asp, telescoping baton, in my truck for many years! In plain view, sticking out from the seat cushion. I've carried it in my belt, occasionally, where I had to go when not liking the look of things. Also, plain view! I think they're a very useful tool, if I don't want to draw my firearm.
What say you, any Tonya Knocker fans, out there? :cool:
I hate to say it my friend, but that's a "compliance" device that takes some considerable skill to even get someone to admit they put two creamers in their coffee that morning.
I think most people around here carry all steel Estwing framing hammers in their trucks and a "duty" pistol on their person.
Hubcaps are generally kept on the wheels.. hey Tonya!
Those "batons" are kinda silly.. kinda like escrima/slappy sticks.
Vikings didn't use stupid tiny sticks.. they used axes and ruled the world.
yay!

My wife is an ex-cop. I bought her a nice ASP baton because she likes them. But in general, things identified as weapons tend to buy you more trouble. My stupid Washington CPL says I can wear my .45 but all sorts of less lethal weapons are a no-no. I used a cane for a while after I broke my leg on the bike. But I'm not even sure if a Cold Steel City Stick would make you look bad (especially, since I went to great effort to get the discontinued model with the steel head). A heavy hardwood stockyard cane would look fairly innnocent.

It's crazy, but I suspect a tool that can do far more damage than a hollow aluminum baton, would get you into less trouble. Play dumb. You had that breaker bar and extension with socket because you suspected a loose lug nut. The guy attacking you came as a surprise. I'm a rural dweller, so axe, machete, shovel, all are common tools. BTW, that Cold Steel entrenching tool is a nasty weapon, quite lethal.

We've given a bit of thought to non-lethal weapons lately. Picked up a few small pepper sprays. Not sure if an electronic stunner would be worth it. Unlike the expensive police taser which fires darts, common consumer zappers require up-close contact. I like the suggestion of an old piece of axe handle. There's always an old axe or shovel handle around. And everyone needs a "tire thumper." ;)

Last Edited:
I hate to say it my friend, but that's a "compliance" device that takes some considerable skill to even get someone to admit they put two creamers in their coffee that morning.
I think most people around here carry all steel Estwing framing hammers in their trucks and a "duty" pistol on their person.
Hubcaps are generally kept on the wheels.. hey Tonya!
Those "batons" are kinda silly.. kinda like escrima/slappy sticks.
Vikings didn't use stupid tiny sticks.. they used axes and ruled the world.
yay!

Ever been hit in a major muscle group with one? That limb is dead for a while. Least mine was!

I read a good article once about why you shouldn't carry one of those. It said that any situation where the law will be ok with you clubbing someone with a baton would also be a situation where you could use a firearm. It went on to say that once you pull out that baton you might be giving the other guy justification to pull out a firearm and shoot you. Unless you have witnesses that you can count on to be honest about what led up to the confrontation it's your word against the bad guys. The witnesses might not see it from your point of view or worse yet they might side with the bad guy. You pull that out and you have threatened someone with a weapon and that's all it takes for lethal force to be used. The article had a lot more details that convinced me not to use one. If a situation justifies the use of a weapon I'll stick with a gun.

I think that non lethal weapons might be a good idea in some cases.
While working at a pawn shop I often had folks want to buy a gun for self or home defense , but weren't sure or willing to kill someone if needed.
A bat , some sort of spray , ASP , etc ... could fill the bill for these people.
As for the legalities of using such a item , well I am not a lawyer or even play one on t.v. .
So do what you want and good luck to you.
Andy

It's true that non-lethal options expose you to more risk. But there are times when you don't really want to shoot if you can avoid it.

In some places/situations there is a rule of thumb about meeting force with like force (I'm not a fan of this).

There is also the concept of disparity of force. I'm 62, average size, currently recovering from rotator cuff surgery. Faced with a large, young, strong attacker (or maybe two or three), I am already in reasonable fear for my life, and am justified in drawing my gun without waiting to see one.

Everyone has to make his own choices. I think having non-lethal options is good. It is unfortunate that the well prepared individual is viewed with suspicion by the Almighty State.

I have (in addition to my EDC & BUG) a baseball bat in the corner behind my driver's seat against the crash-cage in my work van, and an ASP within reach (in my "lunch box) as well... I'm all about use of force options.

If you carry a baseball bat you should also have a ball and glove.
Your lawyer will thank you.

Or develop a limp and use a cane for your "injury"... bonus is if anybody raises a stink like at the airport you get to ram the Americans with Disabilities up their arse since ADA says "NO questioning about assistive devices for handicaps."

OTOH, we've seen how Terrorists Sodomizing America likes to play with those in wheelchairs, so...

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top