JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My friend and I were shooting the other day and the topic came up of after how many rounds should you change the barrel of your hand gun(specifically my 9mm XDm and his 9mm XD service). He seemed to think somewhere around 5,000 but i think that is too low. I told him at the rate that i've been shooting since i got interested in firearm and personal protection that i would have to change my barrel every year and that doesn't seem right, but idon't know i am new. What do you think???

I have to see something such as throat erosion or wear in the barrel, or notice a change in accuracy. That's rare. Imho high powered rifles will more likely wear barrels. High powered is relative - I wore out a chrome moly AR-15 barrel after about 5,000 rounds from throat erosion. On the other hand I put 100k rounds through a .22lr rifle with no noticeable problems.

Actually, my "thing" is changing the mainspring in semi-autos every 1,000 rounds and even sooner if the manufacturer calls for it. That spring weakens with cycling, but may show the weakening suddenly rather than progressively. By the time it's seriously weakened, it will actually also be shorter than the new one, but I never wait that long. A weak spring will cause feeding/ejecting problems.

The same goes for mag springs. They can stay loaded or empty or anywhere in between without harm. It's cycling which wears springs out.

I have a Browning High Power with more than 20k rounds through it and the barrel is still fine.

YMMV.

i guess it can depend a little on application, and on the handgun.. but generally speaking, i'd say replace the barrel somewhere between 100,000 and never.. handguns don't burn NEARLY hot enough to eat barrels.

5,000 rounds... that's funny. that's barely broken in, for nitrated poly gun.

I have to see something such as throat erosion or wear in the barrel, or notice a change in accuracy. That's rare. Imho high powered rifles will more likely wear barrels. High powered is relative - I wore out a chrome moly AR-15 barrel after about 5,000 rounds from throat erosion. On the other hand I put 100k rounds through a .22lr rifle with no noticeable problems.

Actually, my "thing" is changing the mainspring in semi-autos every 1,000 rounds and even sooner if the manufacturer calls for it. That spring weakens with cycling, but may show the weakening suddenly rather than progressively. By the time it's seriously weakened, it will actually also be shorter than the new one, but I never wait that long. A weak spring will cause feeding/ejecting problems.

The same goes for mag springs. They can stay loaded or empty or anywhere in between without harm. It's cycling which wears springs out.

I have a Browning High Power with more than 20k rounds through it and the barrel is still fine.

YMMV.

Excellent advice! Springs yes, barrel replacement is rare.

Some of the hot magmum rifles can fry a barrel but again its rare you would want to shoot one that much.

I would suspect that the quanity of rounds fired through an AR or mini-14 could result in a barrel replacement before any handgun or hunting rifle.

I have been shooting since the 1960's and have never shot out a barrel.

YMMV.

Thanks I didn't even think about the spring and with as much as i practice i will need to keep on that.

Let your buddies think they barrel wears out at whatever number that trips their boat. They probably tend to blame their bad shooting on the gun being worn out.
Just agree with them and after a while tell them that you will buy it. You know it doesn't shoot worth a damn anymore but you just want a beater gun anyway.
Offer them what a gun that won't shoot any good is worth.
Next time you go shooting with them you can out shoot them with their "worn out" gun.

:s0065:

You just revived a 6 year old thread and added nothing of value to the conversation...

Kudos?:s0168:
thread-necromancy.png

thread-necromancy.png

Holy crap! I didn't realize how long I'd been a member here. Doesn't seem like it's been that long. Like they say I guess, time flies?
Hmm.

Wait I actually have something constructive to add! :D

Mag dumps can cause premature throat erosion.
So how you shoot can be more important than the number of rounds you put through a barrel.

Also I have used copper solvents to clean out badly fouled barrels. Barrels that had their accuracy fall off badly! And returned them to sub MOA guns.

OK. ''That is all''.

You may now return this thread to it's grave. And give it it's long and just sleep. :s0047:

My G17 gen 2 is on close to 140,000. That's what I calculate putting through it. Not sure what was put through it by the officer that owned it before I purchased it.

Still shoot a 4" dueling tree plate at 15 yards just fine. Groups 2ish inches at 7 yards.

A year ago I purchased a LE turn in Glock 21. My gunsmith told me the barrel looked pretty well shot out but the proof was if the bullet was spinning or tumbling down range. Tumbling was bad.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top