JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In watching a few related videos on YouTube, some unanswered question came to mind...

"When is it time to replace your firearm?"

I have a basic 9mm, a Beretta Nano 9mm. I don't see on their site a "replace by" number.

I've shot at least 2k rounds through it at the range. Probably over 3k, but being conservative. I'm thinking, if well-cared for, 10k isn't unreasonable. But perhaps it is?

It still shoots fine, but what are some of the clues I should watch for to make me think it's time to replace it? Besides the obvious signs like cracked barrels or broken parts.

I imagine this can apply to any firearm. And there's few options I figure one can do, i.e. replace the barrel, magazines, etc. vs replacing the entire firearm. Even then, it usually seems cheaper to buy a new one.

I tend to keep mine clean and maintained, but at some point, I'm going to have to consider a replacement. I wonder when that point should be?

It's making me consider buying a matching gun as a backup when that day comes.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 547716

Most pistols can easily run 20000 rounds. Recoil springs should be changed every 3,000. If you notice accuracy dropping drastically then replace the barrel. If it is a carry gun then I would be more conservative with maintenance intervals.

i have well over 20k rounds through one of my pump shotguns...no issues.

10k-ish rounds through my glock, still with the original barrel and recoil spring...no issues.

i cant even fathom how many rounds have been through my 10/22...no issues

maybe 10k through my main AR in 5.56. no issues other than i had to re tighten the gas block once. barrel still is accurate

in my mind, unless its complete catastophic failure, a firearm can be repaired or replace parts. for pistols, i would replace the recoil spring every 3k-5k rounds(i have a replacement for the glock but i wanna see how long the original lasts:))

If, for some reason, I decide to swap my Nano for another brand/model, what should I consider?

berettanano2017ravconpics001.JPG

I do like the snag-less design.
I like 9mm over others for various reasons.
8+1 is fine from my POV.
Light-weight and small size is good.

The average gun owner won't or shouldn't hit the maximum threshold for wearing out a gun like they do on those torture tests posted online. Biggest thing as pointed out earlier would be signs of the gun misbehaving rather frequently to clue you in. I've put 3k thru my G19 and its still working fine from factory parts. Now something excessive like 40SW or 10mm and doing continued fire often of say maybe 5k rounds a month (hope your budget allows) then I would be concerned. I know someone whose put 8k thru his PPQ M2 in 40sw and its still just as good as day 1 factory. This is also why you should clean and inspect your funs often for wearing/cracks or damaged parts.

We've got beretta M9's in the military still going from tons of conflicts and use and from pvt joe knuckle head neglecting it so i'd fathom most modern hand gats should be good to go for long periods well beyond what the average CC'er would put it thru. If you want an absolute tank I'd suggest looking into the USP series I hear they are nearly bomb proof.

Since single stack seems to be your thing. Outside of Glock theres the next popular up with the MP shield series or Kahrs, which I hear are fine just have to get used to their trigger. Walther has a slim line and from what i hear was the first to make a subcompact single stack gat. SIGs latest doesn't offer much for a single stack slim line outside the P938 series I believe? You've already got beretta so maybe a replacement or parts? Kinda wish they'd slim an APX down really curious to try one of them. There is also the XDS series (now with Mod 2). Plenty of options if you want to look around but i'd say stick with what works best with you and keep some OEM factory spare parts on hand and if it does go catastrophic I believe company warranty should cover it, you'll just have to go without your carry piece for a few weeks until its fixed or replaced and sent back to you.

Stepping up from super slim lines to not much bulkier theres also some 1.5 and double stack options. I know the SIG 365 is pretty popular I just dunno if they've worked out all the kinks from the initial batch release. Then comes Glock 26 and I believe M&P and XD have a smaller double stack available. Dunno about the others.

Last Edited:
100k is about the time most modern handguns will fail. That being said cheaper built ones will fail sooner. I know several who have worn several out. Rifles is around 60k. Most firearms will never see those amount of rounds unless you shoot competition or train weekly.

Lets think about this. How many of us still have and occasionally shoot guns form WWII? How many rounds do you think those have seen?

Take care of your guns and they will be around and functioning longer than you. ;)

at some point, I'm going to have to consider a replacement. I wonder when that point should be?

good question; I can't answer that for you.
Not talking 'replaceable parts' here, but the overall serviceability for personal needs.

My own recent experience with a much favored GP-100-22 ended with an endless series of unrepairable systemic failures such that the factory replaced it with a new one. While NIB, my confidence level had been soured so much that I could not bear to even fire it even once. How do we measure that?

I sold the replacement as 'unfired' regardless of the potential charms awaiting.

Never having 'worn out' physically some handgun or another, a few have become decidedly UNfavored and UN comfortable and whatever-UN-anything based on mere subjective notions, that we use to decide whether lunch today is 'burgers' or 'soup' or 'salad' or 'steak' or 'burritos' etc.

I've had a few that '200 rounds' was time to jettison, while some (for example, a magnificent pair of pre 1896 Colt SAA 45s) were quite pleasing into their 100+year service.

The most measurable objective component of this quandary, is 'accuracy' and 'reliability'. Both of those are of course as related to 'my' use, quickly returning to that 'subjective basis'....do I want Mexican or Chinese for dinner tonight.

I have a 1906 Winchester .22 it looks like someone used it to scree concrete with then went after it with a pair of vise grips and a ball peen hammer. And for good measure sucked every bit of finish out of the wood. The bore looks like a Chicago back alley garbage can. Yet with Blazer LR it will kick a pop can all over the range at 75 yards. And would no doubt hit at least 2 out of three squirrels at the same range.

Could it be better sure. Is it shot out I guess, does it still do its intended job Absolutely.

This is a great article with a comprehensive diagnostics of not just bullet performance but also rifle wear.

Brass vs. Steel Cased Ammo - An Epic Torture Test

As a few have said in this thread take care of your firearm and it will take care of you.

I've seen guns from the 1800s that have been so well maintained they still function like new...and I've seen modern pistols that looked like rust buckets I wouldn't fire with a ten foot pole.

In watching a few related videos on YouTube, a yet unanswered question came to mind...

"When is it time to replace your firearm?"

I have a basic 9mm, a Beretta Nano 9mm. I don't see on their site a "replace by" number.

I've shot at least 2k rounds through it at the range. Probably over 3k, but being conservative. I went one day just to make my 1000+ round day bucket-list. I'm thinking, if well-cared for, 10k isn't unreasonable. But perhaps it is?

It still shoots fine, but what are some of the clues I should watch for to make me think it's time to replace it? Besides the obvious signs like cracked barrels or broken parts. Today it's still about as accurate as it was on day one. Keeping in mind my own improvements or faults.

I imagine this can apply to any firearm. And there's few options I figure one can do, i.e. replace the barrel, magazines, etc. vs replacing the entire firearm. Even then, it usually seems cheaper to buy a new one.

I tend to keep mine clean and maintained, but at some point, I'm going to have to consider a replacement. I wonder when that point should be?

It's making me consider buying a matching gun as a backup when that day comes.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated!

View attachment 547716

Everything and everyone is lying to you.

47 rounds is MAXIMUM. Any more and you've worn your surfaces too much. So much so that it is very dangerous. VERY VERY DANGEROUS!!!

You need to sell me the parts and pieces before you, or someone, gets severely injured.

I will take very good care of everything and you will be relieved of any burdens of knowing that you could have potentially severely harmed someone.

Going prices are $30 per item. $40 if it has a serial number attached to it. I will pay the stupid transfer fees saving you even more $$$.

;)

All things being equal, a pocket pistol can't be expected to keep up with a full-size gun.
A good duty type 9mm should go around 50,000 rounds without problems.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top