JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many rounds before you carry new gun

• 0-100

• 1000+

Results are only viewable after voting.
1000 rounds to break in a gun means you bought the wrong gun.

I will generally run 200 to 500 through most guns. Maybe 500 to 750 for a 1911. If the type of gun is new to me, its more breaking me in vs the gun. If Someone carried nothing but a Glock or M&P for a while and then went to a SIG DA/SA gun, they should take some time and do some drills to make friends.

I was going to post a snarky Glock response.

It looks like I'm not needed here.

Glocks right out the box. Any other gun has to prove itself. Yes,I am saying that Glocks are more reliable out of the box than any other gun.

While I have never cared for Glocks and don't own one, I have often said if I had to run in a shop and grab a gun, could not test it first, it would be the Glock display I would head for. Now I still would NEVER buy one and choose to carry it without trying it out. Glock does have a well earned rep. for how they are made and how they work but no mass manufactured gun has never let out a bad one. I would not even do this with a wheel gun. Unless I had no choice I would want to test fire a gun first before betting my life on it.

I have only carried 2 different guns since I turned 21. A Sig p238 and a G23. I shot a box of 50 ball through the sig and then a few mags of my carry ammo and then I started to carry it. Not once has that gun jammed in the 600 rounds or so I have put through it. About the same story with the glock, but I have close to 2000 rounds down the pipe with that one. It has jammed but they were all ammo related. I completely trust both guns.

250 or a bit less if flawless. If any type of problem occurs, after the fix I'd again look for the same number of flawless shots.

The first rounds out of a new to me pistol are always standard velocity round nose reloads. This is for a bit of break in and if there is a problem, to identify it before burning more expensive carry ammo.

I also test magazines. I like to have at least 5 or 6 flawless cycles from fully loaded.

250 or a bit less if flawless. If any type of problem occurs, after the fix I'd again look for the same number of flawless shots.

The first rounds out of a new to me pistol are always standard velocity round nose reloads. This is for a bit of break in and if there is a problem, to identify it before burning more expensive carry ammo.

I also test magazines. I like to have at least 5 or 6 flawless cycles from fully loaded.

GREAT point. I forgotten to mention that and did not see it brought up. Since I am an auto fan I do the same thing. When I buy new mags I will not use them in the pistol or for carry till I have run them well and know they work. Often when people have some kind of feed problem with a pistol the mag in where it all comes from.

I have been a "revolver guy" for most of my shooting life. The break in time for revolvers was usually shorter. I bought my first bottom feeder a little over two years ago. I took my time sorting out the ammo and just getting comfortable with the trigger and the manual of arms.

Depends on the make/history of the gun. If it's something new to market like my Sig P320 when they came out I shot a box or 2. My Walther PPQ I shot a limited amout to get the POA down and was happy with that.

I ticked 1000+, but it really does depend. If I am making a purchase with the immediate intent to use it as a carry then as long as it passes a 150-200rnd function/feel test with no failures then I would feel confident in the firearm. That's to include mags, holster setups, draw, etc.

That's not "typical" for me though. I very rarely swap out carries. That's not to say though that after 1000+rnds or so a particular gun might start to feel like "home" and find it's way into my carry group. Over the years... all but one of those "earned" their way in and all have had 1000+ through them before entering the line-up.

My gut instinct was to click 1000+, because that's where mine were at, but in retrospect, I probably should have clicked 250 as an appropriate level to have confidence in a new carry. ~My bad ;-)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top