JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many rounds before you carry new gun

• 0-100

• 1000+

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reactions
Was just curious how many rounds you all fire from a new gun before you will carry it. I usually will fire close to 1000 before it finds its way to my waistband. And usually a several hundred of a new mag.

With a Revolver I'll begin Carrying after a couple hundred rounds. With an Automatic I will begin Carrying after 400 or when I feel comfortable.

For full size pistols a few hundred is good for me assuming it goes with 0 failures. With some of the mouse guns I will go with less. When I bought the Ruger LCPII I put 150 first time out. It was painful by the time I was done but since it was 100% I called it good.

Box of ball for 50, box of carry for 50 if no malfunction. Significantly more if there is any issue.
Keep training dry fire and range.
Did carry once without running a bunch through and am glad I didn't have to use my tools. Learned a lesson.

I don't have a minimum.

I buy a gun, go practice with it. If there are zero malfunctions and I'm confident with it I will carry it. Example is my Ruger SR1911. I never carried it because a feeding problem resulted due to a bad ramp. Ramp fixed now by Ruger. Because of that I'll wait a while shooting it before I call the problem fixed and carry. My Kimber Micro-9 has ate everything I've put in it. Its carried liberally.

I picked 250. In addition to just breaking the gun in, I also try varying types of ammo to see if the gun is finicky. I usually shoot a full box of from several different manufacturers. The longer it goes without a FTE or FTF, the better I feel about the gun. When I have a problem, I mark the brand and bullet weight and see if there is a theme if other failures show up.

Depends on the make & model. Any Glock, I have confidence in running out of the box. I always function test it, and test the recoil spring. If its got enough oomph to close the slide, pointing straight up, its GTG. If the trigger functions, and it passes the pencil test, its GTG.

An M&P is likewise trustworthy for me, as are most Sig classic metal frame P series guns (esp the old ones with alloy frames and folded slides)

I would do the same for a Beretta 92xx, CZ75/85, Ruger P series all metal gun, a Walther P99, or any HK USP and later derivitives.

1911s, Hi Powers, or other guns, 300 problem free rounds minimum, including at least box of hollowpoints.

I am not a revolver guy, but if a revolver does not appear out of time, and passed function test, I'd probably carry one with atandard pressure rounds from Smith or Colt without any shots fired through it. Any else, 300.

OK topic the way it is framed, but there is a bit more to being ready than rounds down range.

Most likely, the OP's concept of "rounds down range" would include much of the following...

Equipment, clothes, & holster fittting and testing
Disassembly, clean, reassmebly, & functions check.
Load, unload
Misfire drills
Load & ballistics testing
Abidextrious drills
Accuracy: 3, 5, 10, 15, & 25 yards.
Non-canned scenarios to include:
Sitting at a table
Mounted in your POV
Dismounted: fwd, bkwd, S2S, and stationary
Good vis
Poor vis
Gas mask

All this and more needs to happen with each new CC "appliance" in order to be fully prepared.

:D

A mixed box of 50 or so has worked for me.. only real problem child Ive had is an H&K build- Portuguese H&K new/unused kit built on a PTR receiver. So far I only have put 100 or so rounds thru it and the cocking tube/mechanism is pretty tight and hangs up, sometimes, but it seems to be wearing in... So many firearms, so little time!:)

I've bought new Glocks, loaded mags, holstered them, and carried them for weeks before getting to the range. That being said I'm not new to Glocks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top