JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Very good to know. I am looking for a new place to train. I have taken some basic courses, but want to move into the more advanced courses. I agree on the cost, I get why they're so expensive, but that doesn't help me afford them :(. I will look into them in the future, thank you.

You might want to check into the IDPA group there. Where I am in the NE OR, I have learned moving while shooting, shooting from cover, shooting from a vehicle, shooting seated, drawing from concealment, flashlight handling, single hand shooting on either side, combatants near and far, defense against a BG with a knife running at you, defense against multiple attackers in many different situations. Most of the things you would learn from those classes, but not all. IDPA dues are $40/yr and match fees (usually monthly) are typically $15-$20. Pay/learn as you go in a fun, but safe, setting. Most groups have a mix of people but the personality of the group results from the leaders and some groups are very uptight and serious about competing and others just compete for fun and learning skills. So you should visit several close by: Here's one in Sherwood http://tc-idpa.org/new-shooter/.

If you want a high round count experience with lots of movement, you might look into USPSA. I used to shoot with my local group and in my experience it's more of a run and gun type thing.

I hear ya there! Lots of crazies out there. I like my area, it's mostly always empty, has a great big berm to shoot into, and hardly anybody drives by when I am up there.[/QUOTE]

I used to have places like that over hear in WA. until warhauer (I know thats spelled wrong)bought Longview Fiber and shut everything down with gates.
I was telling my wife as we were driving through the woods I would never of thought that this all would be closed, I've been going there for 34yrs. It's just sad!!

Stacy

I went up today with the gf outside of Estacada. Had a good time. Not too many people shooting in my area today but I always get up there early so I can shoot, clean up, and get out before the crazies get up there. Weather was great. Spot that I shoot wasn't that trashed, only hauled one large garbage bag of others garbage home.

We, My son and I had planed a day at Browns camp for some sub 100 yard work and than we would work our way up the road above the beaver dam where we would pick on some big bolders in a clean spot in a clearing where someone painted with a white dot about 8" at 600 and 800 across a ridge ( no roads or trails below ). We stopped at the pit and just like the old Indian in the pollution commercial, I might be dating my self, I was discusseded and mad that "we shooters" in the publics eyes are this irresponsible to leave this amount of garbage behind, some Ahole packed hay bales in an these are the big ones 90-100 lbs climbed up on two of the gravel mounds, and there must have been a full case or two of 1000+ shot gun cases on the ground from same looser so now it's closed again to "Closed to All activitys".

I'll donate 20 hd trail cams and cards to cover the hot spots, to the group you think it will do the most good with them.

I feel it's time to put a face on it, I'd rather pay now, We'll pay one way or the other.
It's easy to reach me Mods please pass this on!

We, My son and I had planed a day at Browns camp for some sub 100 yard work and than we would work our way up the road above the beaver dam where we would pick on some big bolders in a clean spot in a clearing where someone painted with a white dot about 8" at 600 and 800 across a ridge ( no roads or trails below ). We stopped at the pit and just like the old Indian in the pollution commercial, I might be dating my self, I was discusseded and mad that "we shooters" in the publics eyes are this irresponsible to leave this amount of garbage behind, some Ahole packed hay bales in an these are the big ones 90-100 lbs climbed up on two of the gravel mounds, and there must have been a full case or two of 1000+ shot gun cases on the ground from same looser so now it's closed again to "Closed to All activitys".

I'll donate 20 hd trail cams and cards to cover the hot spots, to the group you think it will do the most good with them.

I feel it's time to put a face on it, I'd rather pay now, We'll pay one way or the other.
It's easy to reach me Mods please pass this on!
I like the idea of cameras at popular shootings sites. However, I don't like the idea of invasion of privacy. Kind of a tough one to call. Camera's would get shot as soon as someone noticed them. Besides that, if camera's are noticed, the dirty people would simply move on to an area that did not have them. Same crap will happen... just at a different place.

I'm really tired of camera's everywhere you go. When I go out to the woods I don't want to see, or even think, there might be a camera watching me. The thought still crosses my mind anyway, because I know they are available, and I always wonder if someone hid one in a tree somewhere. Just a top-of-mind awareness I have, yet, I have no reason to be concerned about it. Feel like I should smile, shake a leg and do a little dance for entertainment or something. (I have a great Cheech & Chong routine I memorized from the 70's! Would love to see it go viral on YouTube!)

On the other hand, I would feel good seeing them out there. Simply knowing they are there to catch illegal acts, would give me comfort and perhaps give me a better sense of security.

For me, it's a tough one to call.

I would almost rather donate personal camera's to Forest Service Law Enforcement officers. I'd like to see they are as safe as possible and have positive proof of events that take place out there.

Good post, raptedtite. Thanks for sharing your concerns.

Cogs

Thanks for the heads up Cogs. I'm the guy that's driving around with my visor down and my "Your number one in my book finger up" too lots of the over head cameras on trafic lights.
They got my number a long time ago, the problem to me is I can't go to he range with my kids at 5, 12, 14 year olds and work the shot like we can in the woods, my kids and I always pack it out.
I'm not talking about a camera looking in your tent window and as far as privacy, your banging away at some place very public and like your sneaking with that 3006, and they did not even ask for you to pay to play. I like that!, I agree stay the F off my phone and out of my house, But fine the crap out of the clowns. They brought out all this junk "cuss its cheep to shoot" make it expensive.
I like cheech and chong
Hell, you could always do your skit here.
Among friends in private Right?

Went up to my usual spot, but did not see anybody all morning. How many people got out to shoot today and where did you end up going? I usually wind up west of Scappoose/St Helens.

View attachment 288491

View attachment 288493
Not today, but yesterday I went to Tri-County Gun club in Sherwood, OR and shot the 600 yard match. I did real well with 198-7X out of a possible 200. Oh no, I'm not bragging or anything like that, but I have never shot that well at 600 yards before.

If anyone out there needs to fill their quota of good deeds, I am a paraplegic and don't get a lot of chances to go out and throw some lead down range. I can help with gas money and maybe make a new friend(s). I can always be emailed at [email protected]

Thanks.

J.

What kind of shooting do you like to do normally Johnny? Pistol, rifle, long distance/short distance, inside, outside, trap/skeet? I am sure we could find you a few good spots and some good people to head up with.

If anyone out there needs to fill their quota of good deeds, I am a paraplegic and don't get a lot of chances to go out and throw some lead down range. I can help with gas money and maybe make a new friend(s). I can always be emailed at [email protected]

Thanks.

J.
Hey Johnny, we should get you up to the Mt Hood Cleanup this Sat. We need a supervisor to keep these Yahoo's working! :);) We'll even treat you to lunch! We shoot after lunch.

Let us know if you'd like to come and we'll try to find someone to pick you up.

Cogs

What kind of shooting do you like to do normally Johnny? Pistol, rifle, long distance/short distance, inside, outside, trap/skeet? I am sure we could find you a few good spots and some good people to head up with.
I really enjoy building and shoot AR's. I have just finished a new build with 95% V Seven parts. I really want to see how accurate the rifle is with the improvments the Noveske barrels didn't have. I have a few scopes to site in. I could bring another AR for anyone to use.

I enjoy medium long distances out to the 300 yards'ish, but have a hard time finding the open spaces. I lived in Idaho for a while before moving back to Portland, or what is now called Portland and I am so missing shooting.
It would be nice to hand around people with similar interests.

I really enjoy building and shoot AR's. I have just finished a new build with 95% V Seven parts. I really want to see how accurate the rifle is with the improvments the Noveske barrels didn't have. I have a few scopes to site in. I could bring another AR for anyone to use.

I enjoy medium long distances out to the 300 yards'ish, but have a hard time finding the open spaces. I lived in Idaho for a while before moving back to Portland, or what is now called Portland and I am so missing shooting.
It would be nice to hand around people with similar interests.

That sounds like a heck of a gun you've built. V seven is definitely not in my price range, haha.
I live out in Scappoose, our forests are pretty open, and there are plenty of places to shoot. I know that there are 500+ yard areas to shoot, but I don't know where exactly they are :(. There is a pretty cool canyon that I have seen people shooting across, but I'm not sure if that is frowned upon or not. I will go for a drive this weekend and see what I can find. I need to try a new 9mm load anyways.
I was also thinking about heading out to the English Pit in Vancouver sometime soon, and using their 100yd range to site in a couple of rifles. I have never been there though.

I
That sounds like a heck of a gun you've built. V seven is definitely not in my price range, haha.
I live out in Scappoose, our forests are pretty open, and there are plenty of places to shoot. I know that there are 500+ yard areas to shoot, but I don't know where exactly they are :(. There is a pretty cool canyon that I have seen people shooting across, but I'm not sure if that is frowned upon or not. I will go for a drive this weekend and see what I can find. I need to try a new 9mm load anyways.
I was also thinking about heading out to the English Pit in Vancouver sometime soon, and using their 100yd range to site in a couple of rifles. I have never been there though.
I tried to use English Pit last year and due to the incline of the trail down to the pit, English Pit is not going to work untill I get a wheelchair with tank tracks... :D

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top