JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Went up to my usual spot, but did not see anybody all morning. How many people got out to shoot today and where did you end up going? I usually wind up west of Scappoose/St Helens.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

I took my Well Armed Woman group out to shoot with laser tag!! Does that count?? :s0061:

Okay, okay, I know we pretty much broke every 'safety rule' during the process, but we did get to practice shooting under stress, (HAHA!) looking for cover and concealment, shooting at moving targets, shooting while moving, and identifying our target and what lies beyond (don't shoot the ref!) All while getting exercise and having a great deal of FUN!!!:s0140:

No way to practice those skills at our little local range...:s0092:

IMG_20160416_102012336.jpg

To much to do around the house today, but I did go out yesterday. First time out for my brand new AR. Got the barrel Thursday so was chomping at the bit to send a few rounds down range. :D

Went up the mt. behind our house and burned up some 450 BM. This was a function test. This is my first reloads for the 450. Shoots great.

Nice! Great to hear it works. I was testing out my 9mm load today, still a bit powerful for target plinking. And power pistol seems to be kind of a dirty powder.
I'm surprised more people weren't up there, I was expecting a full house today with this nice weather.

No, I had company today. But I did get some time to put a new race disconnect in my Glock 34. Got the smell of synthetic gun grease on my fingers. :)

OR13, you ever use Titegroup for 9mm? It's pretty clean, and meters great from a powder measure. I also use 700X but have trouble metering. And Red Dot, but that's just a filthy powder! Bought a 4lb can when there wasn't anything else. Also bought some Titewad... works great in my .45ACP at reduced loads. That is one powder you DON'T want to use in 9mm because it needs a reduced power spring or the firearm will jam, then it becomes critical very very quickly at just a few 10ths of a grain more. Most powder measures just won't throw accurate enough to make it a safe powder for 9mm.

Last Edited:
Nope, but I did drive out to pick up my shotgun from Velsey. He shortened and crowned the barrel, installed a new bead sight and added rifle sights to it. Looks great, nice job!:)

Finally had a day off...of sorts. The day started off with a few rounds of trap with an old friend, couldn't have been more enjoyable. From there shot handguns at an indoor-ish range and pretty much had the place to myself for about an hour. All before lunch. Great day.

I know of 3 more. Had a little fun @ the home range today w/a couple friends. Shot quite a few different guns. 3 AR's, a RJ 7.62x39, a R15 Varmint and a BM A3 M4. Shot my M77 .223, put a new scope on it for sage rats. Sighted in my 10/22 w/a different scope. Shot a Savage .223 and .17 (had 2 of those a lefty and righty). The bolt rifles are set up for varmint shooting (long range scopes) also the R15. We shot a bunch of the other bigger bore stuff last weekend. Shot my best ever 3 shot, right at .2" @ 100 w/a custom .308.
Then we moved up to the pistol range. I didn't pull any of mine out but shot a friends Trijicon equipped G40, his new Ruger Blackhawk .44 mag, a G19 (w/31 rnd mags) and a G35 (I think, the long barrelled 45) and a Desert Eagle 1911. Then we shot the BFR in 45/70 w/a Leupold scope and a Henry rifle in .44 mag. It was fun, lot of blasting.
Next weekend is rat shooting. I just got the 100 yd range set up last weekend. We've been just using impromptu spots, now I have a dedicated one. I'm going to extend it to 200 yds as soon as I get a chance. Been mostly shooting pistols the last few years but starting to get the long gun bug again.

Spent the day with the good folks at the Oregon Firearms Academy in Brownsville taking Defensive Handgun 2 (DH2). Lots of training on moving while shooting - sideways, forward, backward, plus team communication and tactics. Good day, lots to learn and about 450 rounds down range through my carry gun.

Last Edited:
No, I had company today. But I did get some time to put a new race disconnect in my Glock 34. Got the smell of synthetic gun grease on my fingers. :)

OR13, you ever use Titegroup for 9mm? It's pretty clean, and meters great from a powder measure. I also use 700X but have trouble metering. And Red Dot, but that's just a filthy powder! Bought a 4lb can when there wasn't anything else. Also bought some Titewad... works great in my .45ACP at reduces loads. That is one powder you DON'T want to use in 9mm because it becomes critical very very quickly at just a few 10ths of a grain more. Most powder measures just won't throw accurate enough to make it a safe powder for 9mm.

I have not tried titegroup yet. I have only done two reloads of 9mm so far, and power pistol is the only powder that I have tried. I think it might be a little bit too dirty, and powerful for what I'm trying to do. I want to find a reduced recoil load. But as of right now my reloads flip more than factory loads, and I'm already below the "starting load."
It looks like a lot of people got you there today!

Spent the day with the good folks at the Oregon Firearms Academy in Brownsville taking Defensive Handgun 2 (DH2). Lots of training on moving while shooting - sideways, forward, backward, plus team communication and tactics. Good day, lots to learn and about 450 rounds down range through my carry gun.
I need to get out and take a movement class. Would you recommend this course?

My Wife and I went!!
41. mag, 44. Special, 454 Casul, 357mag.
Shot a bunch of test loads had a blast.
It was hard to find a place to shoot to many idiots out there. There was the guy with the Coors light in his hand while his two young sons were shooting and the group that was using a tree as there back stop/target holder and no back stop right next to the sign that says no shooting. It's so redicules out there any more.
:s0014::s0007::s0003:

Stacy

Didn't make it to an outdoors shoot today - too much yard work to do - but I did get over to the range to sight in the SA CLO that just got back from SACS with a custom job done and to fine tune the XDS a bit. All in all about 150 rds downrange.

Also, it was a pretty good day all around...sold the SA Trophy Match and now my EBR project can start!

I need to get out and take a movement class. Would you recommend this course?

I do recommend OFA. You would need to take DH1 from them first as it's a pre-requisite for DH2. They also offer DH3 and DH4, which involves more movement including target movement. I think the folks at OFA do a very nice job, very professional and of course, very safe. I can't afford to do their classes regularly, but I'm working to add them in as I can.

I have not tried titegroup yet. I have only done two reloads of 9mm so far, and power pistol is the only powder that I have tried. I think it might be a little bit too dirty, and powerful for what I'm trying to do. I want to find a reduced recoil load. But as of right now my reloads flip more than factory loads, and I'm already below the "starting load."

I'll start a Private Conversation with you so as not to tie up this thread. Meanwhile, in general the faster the powder the less you need. Power Pistol is a bit slower, more towards the Unique, Herco, and 800X lane. However, 700X, Clays, Bullseye, and Titegroup are on the faster burning side. Power Pistol is excellent powder for hot/accurate loads, especially with 124gr bullets, but it's not for all things.

While the Alliant chart only shows a max load of 6.7gr for 115gr bullets, some that have written to the company list either 6.0 or 5.5 for a starting load. One source I have lists
acceptable loading range using 115 grains bullets:
Power Pistol From 4.8 grains to 6.7 grains

Additionally, if you want to shoot reduced power target loads, IMO the best thing to do is get a lower weight recoil spring. Then if the same weapon is used for self defense, you would want to put the original spring back in to return it to fighting condition.

I don't know what bullet you are shooting or what pistol. Will ask you in Private Conversation.

Last Edited:
I do recommend OFA. You would need to take DH1 from them first as it's a pre-requisite for DH2. They also offer DH3 and DH4, which involves more movement including target movement. I think the folks at OFA do a very nice job, very professional and of course, very safe. I can't afford to do their classes regularly, but I'm working to add them in as I can.

Very good to know. I am looking for a new place to train. I have taken some basic courses, but want to move into the more advanced courses. I agree on the cost, I get why they're so expensive, but that doesn't help me afford them :(. I will look into them in the future, thank you.

My Wife and I went!!
41. mag, 44. Special, 454 Casul, 357mag.
Shot a bunch of test loads had a blast.
It was hard to find a place to shoot to many idiots out there. There was the guy with the Coors light in his hand while his two young sons were shooting and the group that was using a tree as there back stop/target holder and no back stop right next to the sign that says no shooting. It's so redicules out there any more.
:s0014::s0007::s0003:

Stacy

I hear ya there! Lots of crazies out there. I like my area, it's mostly always empty, has a great big berm to shoot into, and hardly anybody drives by when I am up there.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top