JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
^^It passed by more like ~560,000 votes...that being said, had all the registered republican/conservative/moderate voters taken the 5 minutes to submit their ballots, yes, it likely could have been defeated.

So, the real question now is: What actions can be taken when the new session starts in about 8 weeks to turn the tide? Its going to be a much tougher battle with the dem control in Olympia now.

Defeating 1639 in court could be a great start, but the risk is provoking/magnifying a backlash from the politicians.

Boss
Thanks for the correction...decimal point error. We like to think this will be overturned in the courts but we can't count on it, at least not for the several years it will take to work its way through the system. Probably not possible to get an injunction to stop it from going into effect until the SCOTUS rules on it. I wouldn't worry about a backlash from the politicians; if they had any balls regarding gun control in Washington it wouldn't have gone to the initiative process. You know this is just the "first step" towards more gun control in Washington. The gun control sharks have had a taste of blood so they will be piling on with whatever they can get away with. Expect to see them try to overturn preemption, ban standard capacity magazines, require extra liability insurance for gun owners, etc. The list is long and they will be going for all they can get. The tipping point for more gun control via initiative in Washington may have been reached, which will likely make the legislature bolder. However, the only thing that will stop the loss of more rights via initiative is more pro gun voters getting off their butts and sending in their ballots. Remember, only 39% of eligible voters passed this initiative so it could have gone the other way if more pro gun voters had sent in a NO vote.

I urge all members who voted in Oregon to sign up for the "Track my ballot" option. After watching what has transpired in Az and Florida, it makes me wonder about the integrity of the election process in all states, esp the "blue" ones. I'm contacting my Co election office to make sure my ballot was received and counted.
We all send in our ballots assuming there is not a problem, but how do we know for sure?
Doesn't hurt to double check...
Watched a Pundit on local news opine that since Multnomah Co was the largest and quickest to report, If Bueler was in excess of 38-40% in early returns, he would probably be our next Governor. Early reporting showed him with 42%, but then they called it for Brown not long after.
Just wondering...

Thanks for the correction...decimal point error. We like to think this will be overturned in the courts but we can't count on it, at least not for the several years it will take to work its way through the system. Probably not possible to get an injunction to stop it from going into effect until the SCOTUS rules on it. I wouldn't worry about a backlash from the politicians; if they had any balls regarding gun control in Washington it wouldn't have gone to the initiative process. You know this is just the "first step" towards more gun control in Washington. The gun control sharks have had a taste of blood so they will be piling on with whatever they can get away with. Expect to see them try to overturn preemption, ban standard capacity magazines, require extra liability insurance for gun owners, etc. The list is long and they will be going for all they can get. The tipping point for more gun control via initiative in Washington may have been reached, which will likely make the legislature bolder. However, the only thing that will stop the loss of more rights via initiative is more pro gun voters getting off their butts and sending in their ballots. Remember, only 39% of eligible voters passed this initiative so it could have gone the other way if more pro gun voters had sent in a NO vote.

Respectfully, this isn't the first, it is at least the third step, and they're picking up the pace.

As posted previously, 41 of 43 gun control measures were essentially narrowly defeated just about 8 months ago (remember?). Many/most/all? of those may turn into losses for us in the coming months.

Something about shutting the barn door after the horses got out???

1639 - it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few weeks/months. The Sec. of State and courts are well aware of it (its been ruled on twice in the past few months). Wasn't one of the alleged reasons it was allowed to go on the ballot because it wasn't 'ripe' at the time for judicial review [or something along those lines]? Well, it ought to be very close if it isn't already. So considering the controversy, it'll be interesting to see if it's application isn't somehow postponed until it gets sorted out. Don't be surprised it they'll try to put it in effect, and in a few years... when it finally gets to court...it'll be 'well, it's been on the books for years now...no sense in taking it off.'

As posted numerous times before: Far better to keep it off the books than try to get it off the books.

However, Olympia may well become a much bigger concern in a few weeks. What good will defeating 1639 be if the politicians impose worse restrictions...magazines, AWB, mandatory training for all, etc etc etc? As previously posted (getting tired of saying that), King Co, already has a written action plan focused to overturn preemption and then ban 'high velocity semi automatic assault weapons' and 'high capacity magazines.' See 'Step 3': Action Plan. And where King Co. goes, several/many counties will follow.

If the court doesn't fix and it can't be fixed at the ballot box ( I agree with you btw) how will it get fixed?

It won't get fixed...it'll be state law.

Gun owners need to get their collective sh*t together, start evolving to positively change their image and VOTING.

If they 'can't be bothered' to stand up and defend their rights, well, they'll get what they deserve, and unfortunately us right along with them.

BOSS

Last Edited:
Ever since the infamous " conservatives cling to their guns and bibles" speech by Obummer the left has ramped up their fervor towards both. While I am not particularly religious I do believe in the principles upon which this country was founded, and both those are protected in the Bill of Rights. This is class warfare, and infringement upon our rights, perpetrated by a then sitting president. This is what we face!

Don't forget just how significant, widespread this following mentality is among gun owners;
I got mine, I don't care about anything else gun-related
:confused::mad:

Also, a significant number of gun owners are of this opinion
we don't need semi automatics, not even for self defense, a shotgun or a pistol(read revolver) is more than good enough
:s0037::s0146:

I mean, look at how both Australia and the mainland UK effectively "ended the gun problem" :rolleyes: would it really be a surprise to see a significant number of Oregon/Washington gun owners willing to give up semi automatic rifles/shotguns, and possibly certain types of handguns (a la California)? :rolleyes:

Don't forget just how significant, widespread this following mentality is among gun owners;
:confused::mad:

Also, a significant number of gun owners are of this opinion
:s0037::s0146:

I mean, look at how both Australia and the mainland UK effectively "ended the gun problem" :rolleyes: would it really be a surprise to see a significant number of Oregon/Washington gun owners willing to give up semi automatic rifles/shotguns, and possibly certain types of handguns (a la California)? :rolleyes:
Yep it seems that is where we are headed. Any progress we might make will be subject to a set back after the next "mass shooting".

^^ Remember, per King Co., it's 'high velocity semi-automatic assault weapons.' That could be argued by them to be just about anything semi-automatic- pistol, rifle, shotgun...in any conventional rimfire or centerfire round. And they're talking sale and possession...no mention of 'grandfathering' what may already be owned.

If preemption falls, its gonna get really concerning, really fast. City councils and counties passing their own ordnances...it may 'suck to be you' if they deem something you own isn't 'legal' in your neighborhood anymore.

Folks better wake up...quick.

BOSS

^^ Remember, per King Co., it's 'high velocity semi-automatic assault weapons.' That could be argued by them to be just about anything semi-automatic- pistol, rifle, shotgun...in any conventional rimfire or centerfire round. And they're talking sale and possession...no mention of 'grandfathering' what may already be owned.

If preemption falls, its gonna get really concerning, really fast. City councils and counties passing their own ordnances...it may 'suck to be you' if they deem something you own isn't 'legal' in your neighborhood anymore.

Folks better wake up...quick.

BOSS

They tried last year reverse preemption last year................
Washington State Legislature

Now that the dems totally control the legislature, you can guarantee that will be one of the first bill passed. It's only a matter of time. The only thing surprises me, is that they haven't prefiled it yet.

Ray

Now that the dems totally control the legislature, you can guarantee that will be one of the first bill passed. It's only a matter of time. The only thing surprises me, is that they haven't prefiled it yet.

Ray
The mayor in portland wants OR preemption law reworked so they can ban firearms in numerous ways. You can bet that if the state legislature makes it happen that it won't benefit rural counties who could make their own laws (potentially less restrictive than state law) It will be some kind of preemption law that only allows more restriction and not less.

Ray

Yep.

They're not tipping their hand...best for them to do it as quietly/discreetly as possible.

The non-voters have really put Mt. Everest in front law-abiding of WA. gun owners by not helping get more conservatives/republicans in Olympia. This can't be readily undone in the near future.

Best scenario is 1639 gets swiftly dismissed in court and a clear ruling in our favor strengthens law-abiding gun owners' rights.

Don't hold your breath. Preemption still being the law of the land isn't slowing certain counties/cities down enacting their own ordnances.

But unless we get organzied, get proactive and start getting our own pro 2A efforts/initiatives going, we're just plugging holes in the dam that's cracking around us in WA.

This is why multiple full-time, living wage salary 'outreach/image' professionals (in addition to the behind-the-scenes folks) is getting pretty dang important IMHO. Can't keep continually expecting folks to fit in somewhere between work and the 1000 other responsibilities all the time, forever. Flip side is law abiding gun owners can't expect $20 donations to the NRA to be sufficient either. Team effort folks!

My $.02 worth.

BOSS

Last Edited:
I voted no on 1639 but other than the classification of a semi auto. and the safe storage prosecution. I don't see anything wrong with it. you already allow the state to do a mental health check when you buy a pistol and that has been since 1994. where I work you have to be 21 to buy any firearm and ammo anyways. a class to prove you know how to use a gun is great. and if you buy a weapon once a year they get their background check.

but I guess the haters will chime in.

friends and I voted no, but unfortunately we are the minority in this state.

Just look at the political race...most of the left votes for peeps like maria cantspell and such have almost identical % numbers to the yes votes for 1639. liberal voter turnout was 2/3 of the voter turnout across the state and 3/4 in king county alone. I was among the 25% to vote no from king county as was a couple neighbors..the other 2 neighbors I bet voted yes cause they're both twats.

I voted no on 1639 but other than the classification of a semi auto. and the safe storage prosecution. I don't see anything wrong with it. you already allow the state to do a mental health check when you buy a pistol and that has been since 1994. where I work you have to be 21 to buy any firearm and ammo anyways. a class to prove you know how to use a gun is great. and if you buy a weapon once a year they get their background check.

but I guess the haters will chime in.

:s0054: :s0093:

hey, that "track my vote" site is pretty cool. Didn't know it existed and was nice to be able to check.

As for voting, I vote in every election without question.

I just cannot understand people who don't vote. There is no excuse for not getting off your a$$ and filing out a form or going to a voting booth one day every other year.

From my understanding King County sealed WA fate on 1639.

... King, Pierce, the South end of Snohomish and the north end of Thurston County control the entire state politically. ...

data from: November 6, 2018 General Election - Voter Turnout (and the associated county links).
E. WA County: For / Against (rounded to whole percent) -- ballots (rounded to nearest 100):
Adams: 35 / 65 -- 4300
Asotin: 43 /57 -- 9200
Benton: 39 / 61 -- 74100
Chelan: 45 / 55 -- 33700
Columbia: 30 / 70 -- 2100
Douglas: 37 / 63 -- 15000
Ferry: 27 / 73 -- 3500
Franklin: 40 / 60 -- 22100
Garfield: 27 / 73 -- 1400
Grant: 32 / 68 -- 26700
Kitittas: 43 / 57 -- 19500
Klickitat: 40 / 60 -- 10400
Lincoln: 25 / 75 -- 5600
Okanagon: 36 / 64 -- 16900
Pend Orielle: 30 / 70 -- 6900
Spokane: 51 / 49 -- 220900
Stevens: 27 / 73 -- 22600
Walla Walla: 47 / 53 -- 24600
Whitman: 54 / 46 -- 17100
Yakima: 44 / 56 -- 69200

Blue: at least 60% against I-1639, but less than 70%

Green: at least 70% against
Pink: close enough to 50/50 to pose no threat to King county
Red: voted to approve 1639!!!

Total ballots in pink and red counties: 394,200
Total ballots in blue and green counties: 211,600

King: 76 / 24 -- 965,500

Based on the data above, 7 out 20 Eastern WA counties were either basically a wash, or voted for I-1639. The number of ballots cast in these King-ish counties was almost double all of the other E. WA counties' ballot totals. While I agree that the King population pretty much decides things, I think it is fair to say that at least a third of E. WA counties are also problematic. Maybe it's a Californication problem, but with King County as CA.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top