JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi guys, we often talk about OAL, case prep, bullets and powders. But how many of you check the run-out/concentricity of your loaded rounds? In my experience, this is one of the most useful tools a guy can have for helping to develop consistently accurate ammo. I use an old time Brown Precision little wiggler, developed by the bench rest shooter Chet Brown, back in the 70's. This tool, not only checks loaded ammo for TIR, but it also adjusts/corrects concentricity. However, my primary use for this tool is to help set up the seater die for minimal run-out. Here's the little wiggler and some of the groups I've shot after checking and correcting concentricity:
002-43.jpg
008-18.jpg
IMG_0584_zps60ab582b.jpg
026_zpsf890068d.jpg
IMG_0616_zpsahv9llhe.jpg

If I'm shooting a centerfire match, I'll make sure all of my ammo is dialed in and straight to less than .002". How many of you check run-out and what is your favorite tool. I know Hornady and RCBS make them. Share your experience and post some before and after targets if you noticed a change for the better after straightening your ammo. Thanks...

I've got both the Hornady and the Sinclair concentricity gauges.

I generally like for mine to be .001" or less total runout on match grade loads.

Thanks dizzyj. I didn't want you guys thinking I was that anal, but good point buddy. :D. I'm generally messing around with hunting rifle loads, even in small time centerfire shoots. The guys that know me personally here and the ones that have shot with me, can attest to that.. Not real serious, just like keeping it real...;) . The reason I started this thread is because it seems like a lot of guys sweat the small stuff. Sometimes that small stuff doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but if you add all that small stuff up, maybe it does. I was also reminded the other day that Brown Precision stuff is good stuff maynard...:p

Boy & I thought I was all set up for reloading. I guess when I get a few years into it & load for accuracy then I'll get the groovy tools.;)
Chances are, if you've got a competition bullet seating die such as the Forster, Redding, RCBS, ETC, you'll be fine.

I did test some loads between seating does in the past, and there was a measurable difference between standard and the competition dies. I guess you'll just have to have "faith" if you don't have a tool to measure. Nothing wrong with that either. I've gone by faith for several years and did fine. It's just nice to know what you've got. Sometimes that "flier" can be caused by things that can be measured. Sometimes not.

It all boils down to how anal you want to be.

I check every round that comes out my press any shorties or anomalys go into a separate box as not to taint the batch I'm running. Sometimes I hate reading reloading forums and threads as when I started reloading I told myself "I'm only going to buy what's necessary", now I have seen another tool that is "necessary"...:confused:

I have never measured my case concentricity. I have wondered if I am
overlooking an important detail.:rolleyes: I do make sure seating die is properly adjusted.
I am not a benchrest competition shooter but I do position shooting Highpower
rifle competition. If I can hold the 10 ring at 600 yard slow fire prone stage
and if I am "On Call" with my shots. I am thinking my reloads are good? Now
if I get that where did that flyer come from? Or I cannot hold the 10 ring?
Something's wrong? Ammo, rifle or me?:eek::eek: My reloads are working
good so I have not invested in the concentricity measuring tools. I weigh
each powder charge for the 600 yard stage. I like to say maybe weighing
each charge is only a psychological advantage??o_Oo_O But maybe I am
overlooking this step? :oops: Not sure. Good thread good info.
I appreciate the knowledge I can learn from you guys.:rolleyes: Thankyou

Last Edited:
Thanks dizzyj. I didn't want you guys thinking I was that anal, but good point buddy. :D. I'm generally messing around with hunting rifle loads, even in small time centerfire shoots. The guys that know me personally here and the ones that have shot with me, can attest to that.. Not real serious, just like keeping it real...;) . The reason I started this thread is because it seems like a lot of guys sweat the small stuff. Sometimes that small stuff doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but if you add all that small stuff up, maybe it does. I was also reminded the other day that Brown Precision stuff is good stuff maynard...:p
Those were some mighty fine groups. I don't have/use a concentricity gauge because I generally don't have a need for it with the kind of shootong I do presently. Maybe someday?

It would be interesting to sweat all the details on a couple boxes except for concentricity and print out some groups to compare.

Last Edited:
i have one and use to check different off the shelf dies to see how true they seat.
I asked an old benchrest guy named Henry Milliron from texas back in the early 90s when I met him and asked about using a concentricity gauge. he grabbed a round spun it in his fingers and then pushed the bullet straight with his fingers. he went on to explain that for regular reloads it might do me good, but I was learning about how to use neck bushings to control the amount of tension the neck used to hold the bullet in place to increase accuracy. he said it would be an extra step I didn't really need in his opinion. if I remember right his dies were all cut with the same reamers that he used to build his rifles. this was back in 93.

I have never measured my case concentricity. I have wondered if I am
overlooking an important detail.:rolleyes: I do make sure seating die is properly adjusted.
I am not a benchrest competition shooter but I do position shooting Highpower
rifle competition. If I can hold the 10 ring at 600 yard slow fire prone stage
and if I am "On Call" with my shots. I am thinking my reloads are good? Now
if I get that where did that flyer come from? Or I cannot hold the 10 ring?
Something's wrong? Ammo, rifle or me?:eek::eek: My reloads are working
good so I have not invested in the concentricity measuring tools. I weigh
each powder charge for the 600 yard stage. I like to say maybe weighing
each charge is only a psychological advantage??o_Oo_O But maybe I am
overlooking this step? :oops: Not sure. Good thread good info.
I appreciate the knowledge I can learn from you guys.:rolleyes: Thankyou

Ron, I've seen how you shoot. I appreciate your input and enjoy your posts. Thanks for contributing.

The real accuracy guys get their sizing die finished with the reamer used on the chamber of their rifle.
every little thing matters

Yes, and those guys use 16 + pound rifles set on rests, where they do absolutely nothing except adjust the rest to the bulls eye and then barely touch the trigger. They don't even have to really be behind the rifle. I've always viewed that as extremely boring (literally). But hey, if they are having fun that's all that matters. I enjoy the hell out of taking a pure bred hunting rifle and making it do its thing. If you noticed anything about my target pictures, you'll see the bullets I use are "hunting" bullets as well. Nosler partitions, hornady interlocks, Winchester powerpoints and other various types of hunting bullets can be extremely accurate if you take the time to make sure the whole package is dialed in. It starts with a properly tuned rifle, then goes to the ammo and the proof lies in the target after you pull that trigger...;)

I check every round that comes out my press any shorties or anomalys go into a separate box as not to taint the batch I'm running. Sometimes I hate reading reloading forums and threads as when I started reloading I told myself "I'm only going to buy what's necessary", now I have seen another tool that is "necessary"...:confused:

Thanks for your reply. I do have to clarify that this tool isn't a "necessary" item you need for rolling your own. The funny story about this tool, is I saw it at the local gunshop for a few weeks before I bought it. At the time I was doing some hunter class centerfire shoots with my 300wsm and it was like this tool kept calling my name. It didn't help any that the main guy kicking my azz by 1 X was using a .223 rem and kept heckling me and the fact I was using a "magnum" for such competitions. I needed that extra edge in the accuracy department and after reading about how concentric ammo helps reduce flyers and shrink groups, I figured this was the most opportune time to try this gadget out. I noticed a difference on my first batch of hand loads and it sold me from there on out. The guy at the club also saw something had changed too, after I started shooting more 100-9x and perfects. I also noticed that the long range accuracy had improved by using this device. Later that fall, I used this same 300wsm and load on a mule deer buck in the Deschutes canyons.
1001111644a.jpg
1001111644.jpg

Like I said earlier, it's not "necessary", but does help to reduce flyers and produce a more consistently accurate load.

Did a lot of thinking on this today. I came up with three thoughts below:

Same lot numbers and case volume will have more of an impact than a centricity gauge.

When I get to the point of using specific brass for my rifle I'll have a use for a concentricity gauge. Until then it's moot. I have more variance in case volume than out of center.

I also wonder how much of a difference it makes when your ammo is .015" or less from the lands?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top