JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I've been wanting to get a discussion going on the 308 Norma magnum. In large part, because I'm finally going to have one and I'll probably end up selling the rest of my rifles... NOT.. Ha ha.. I think it's been about 20 years now that I've dreamed of owning a rifle chambered for this round. I've had just about every kind of 300 magnum imaginable, but for some reason never a Norma magnum. Even though it's been on my bucket list for a long time. Any of you use one for hunting the great pacific northwest? Target practice/punching paper or ringing steel. I hear they are inherently accurate. What say you guys?
The rifle I am having re-chambered is very similar to the one I regard as being the cause of my screen name. It's a BSA model E (factory sporterized m1917) and is chambered in 30-06 at the moment. It is at Velzey's shop as we speak though, waiting for it's new chamber to be finely cut and reamed to perfection. This BSA rifle was exhibiting signs of a sloppy chamber, as it was stretching brand new Norma brass to the extent that I was uncomfortable loading it another time. I also fired some ammo that I had loaded a couple times and it looked just fine, but when I extracted it, the brass was split around the circumference of the case near the base of the cartridge. After that happened, I contacted a buddy that I knew was hoarding a 308 Norma magnum reloading die set and 100 pieces of new Norma brass. The dream of owning and hunting a 308 Norma magnum seemed like it was actually going to happen. Finally...

Here's the rifle. I can't think of a better rifle for this project to be built around. Right now it holds 6 rounds of 30-06 ammo. I'm curious to see if it will hold 5 rounds of the magnum ammo:
g1kYpwS.jpg
Here's how she was shooting after it's initial load development:
eLSOSXY.jpg
s3qPjER.jpg
EkMymAJ.jpg

I'm not as much into the magnum's as I used to be, so maybe I'll just load it light (30-06 speeds) and call it good. A 200gr. Nosler partition running at 2,700 fps will work just fine and the rifle seems to like that bullet.

Anyway, if you have them and use them, post them up here. I'd love to see what you run. Whether it be an old sporterized 1903, Mauser 98 or enfield like mine.

Regards guys and have a great weekend!!!!

Well No_Regerts, i believe you feel the same way i do, when it comes to the 308 NM vs. 300WM. I believe winchester drug their feet far too long with the introduction of their 300 magnum. I dont really care for the 300WM either.

I always wonder the fascination with these all-but-dead calibers and why some put them up on such a pedestal......

Why is the idea of hunting with a 308 Norma Mag so much more interesting than a .300 Win Mag or even a .30-06? Does it somehow guarantee a filled tag each year or just a way to seem elite and quirky around the camp fire?

I always wonder the fascination with these all-but-dead calibers and why some put them up on such a pedestal......

Why is the idea of hunting with a 308 Norma Mag so much more interesting than a .300 Win Mag or even a .30-06? Does it somehow guarantee a filled tag each year or just a way to seem elite and quirky around the camp fire?

This is where hunting rifles, especially bolt actions, are really unique compared to handguns or tactical rifles. If you're a reloader and you're into rifles in general, you can have a personalized rifle not only in setup, but chambering. Lots of people have modded out handguns and ARs, but most are all chambered in common stuff.

But a reloader with a bolt action could be really creative. You have to be INTO the minutia that is the huge array of possibilities.

This is where hunting rifles, especially bolt actions, are really unique compared to handguns or tactical rifles. If you're a reloader and you're into rifles in general, you can have a personalized rifle not only in setup, but chambering. Lots of people have modded out handguns and ARs, but most are all chambered in common stuff.

But a reloader with a bolt action could be really creative. You have to be INTO the minutia that is the huge array of possibilities.

Fair enough.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Not a damn thing is gained by going to a 308 Norma magnum. However, as a reloader and rifle shooter, and someone that is a "rifle loony", it is our god given right to buy and use as many types of rifles and cartridges we can get our hands on. Being a moderator of a site like this, surely you can understand that... Just sayin..

I kinda understand liking one chambering over another when both offer nearly identical performance.....instead of grabbing the popular chambered in every rifle on the planet cartridge.

First centerfire I ever shot was a Sako 222 that Grandpa had. As an adult, I owned and competed with a 222. To this day, if I have a choice in the matter, it will be a 222 instead of the 223 or 222mag (For full disclosure, I am heading out to work on a 223 that is new to me)

My primary big game rifle is a 1A in 7x57. I could have easily bought a plastic bolt rifle for half the money that would likely have shot better groups with less effort in 7mm08 and given identical performance. But I don't really love bolt rifles. And plastic guns are as ugly as Rosie O'Donnell to my eye. So I bought a red pad with lovely wood in a classic chambering. Several rifle makers could easily fill that performance list that the little Ruger provides. None of them do it with as much elegance. Nobody ever wrote books about being a professional ivory hunter with a 7mm08.

As a kid, well before arms had a grip on my mind, Dad hunted elk with a 308 Norma. As an adult, my best friend has a springfield rechambered into 308 Norma (In the Weatherby influence that has become a big part of Americana). I like it better than the 300 winnie. Mostly because that stubby neck is ugly to my eye. Kinda in the same way a 222 has a nice long neck, and the 223 looks like it had some sort of terrible wood chipper accident.

The only reason any of the above might matter is if I am the guy paying for the piece. I like old and classic stuff (Double Gun Journal is only magazine I still subscribe to every year). Newest and greatest aint always best.

Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. Not a damn thing is gained by going to a 308 Norma magnum. However, as a reloader and rifle shooter, and someone that is a "rifle loony", it is our god given right to buy and use as many types of rifles and cartridges we can get our hands on. Being a moderator of a site like this, surely you can understand that... Just sayin..

No, me being a moderator has nothing to do with the topic at hand. But I respect everyone's thoughts regarding this topic.

Go with a 300wsm.
Awesome ballistics and is a short action to boot.
Unless you go Tikka like I did, then you can load to long action specs if you go with an ai bottom metal/mag.

Go with a 300wsm.
Awesome ballistics and is a short action to boot.
Unless you go Tikka like I did, then you can load to long action specs if you go with an ai bottom metal/mag.
BTDT with a few WSM's. The 300WSM is a ballistic twin to the grand ol 300H&H. It is a very efficient case and is inherently accurate by short fat and stubby design. If I happened to run across a 300WSM that I really liked, I'd buy one again, just to finish my collection. In the last 3 weeks, I got my 300 win mag and my 308 Norma magnum back and found a great deal on a 300 WBY that I couldn't pass up. So for a guy that doesn't really love 300 magnums, I now have a small collection of them. Check out what a nice job Velzey did on engraving 308 NORMA on the barrel. That guy does top notch work!!!
fk0zbSq.jpg

Thanks again Tim. I really appreciate it buddy!!!!

After moving here in the mid 70s, Dad borrowed a 308 Norma on his first (And only) elk hunt. Had a soft spot for it ever since.

Several folks in my deer camp have/had a sporterized Springfields in 308 Norma. Weatherby-esque rifles so popular for many years. I'm assuming the same smith did them, as they are all very similar in style and execution.

Loaded for one of them. That particular rifle suffered from mediocre accuracy. On top of that, I was afraid to get heavy handed at powder measure. It's 22" bbl only wanted to make 2800fps with acceptable accuracy(2moa). I knew there was some gas left in the tank, but groups turned into patterns if you went faster.

I agree it's a better design than the 300 winnie. They kinda outsmarted themselves on that deal.

Keep us posted on your new toy!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top