JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have one I carry for a few years now. never really worried about the mag release, however I only have one mag for this gun. I run with factory loads not hand loads. when every I go run some guns I take it with me and run the factory loads to make sure it functions with the load I carry. as for a holster I use a rempo I think they are called alien holsters now. I like my PPS because of the thin frame and its not to heavy to carry.

Eric

Best concealed carry gun made, in my opinion, I have the 9mm version. I carry it with the 7-round mag with the longer 8-round mag as backup. I practice either with my own reloads or whatever is available. It eats everything. Carry ammo is 124gr Federal Hydra Shok. It's as accurate even at distance as some of my longer-barreled range guns. The mag release is a non-issue. I have two Walthers, the PPS and a P99 AS, and I've come to prefer the paddle mag release. I don't have to shift my hand on the grip at all to drop a mag with them, where with the regular button mag releases I generally have to reposition my hand at least slightly to do so. I use the ACE-1 Gen 2 Holster from SHTF Gear and their horizontal mag carrier for my backup mag. Exceptionally well made and comfortable holsters. http://www.shtfgear.com

Last Edited:
Had one in 9mm. No longer have it. Replaced it with a shield 9mm.
As a lefty, I loved the paddle release! Only real con to the pps for me, was the Quicksafe safety system. Didn't care for it. Also, the pps was not as comfortable in my hand as the shield.

That said, I really liked the pps, the short time I had it. I also had a PPQ M1 that was outstanding!.

Walther PPS, Springfield XDS, S&W shield, Ruger LC9s. Take your pick.

Those four share equal time on my hip. They all have their pros and cons, but are more alike than different. I have never had any problem with the PPS mag release, I just sweep my thumb down whether it is a paddle or a button. My thumb catches either one that way.

PPS is a little slimmer. Just a matter of my mood that day. Today I have on the Shield. Don't like the PPS as much in .40 as the Shield. But I usually carry 9mm anyway so a moot point.

I had the 9mm PPS for a while but I sold it for a Shield. The main cons of the PPS was that it was much more expensive than the Shield for no good reason; it was not as ergonomic/comfortable as the Shield; and I worried that the after market parts would not be as accessible as the popular Shield. I'm a big light/laser guy and I want to be able to replace magazines, parts, holsters, sights, etc. And if a gun is not popular like the PPS, then in a few years, you'll have a hard time buying parts & accessories for it. No problem with the Shield in that department.

The magazine release didn't bother me but I can see it causing me to hesitate or cause confusion in a real-life life-death situation since my winter gun has the button magazine release.

PPS looks damn cool and is very reliable. But if you can get the same reliability and greater comfort and more parts & accessories for less price such as the Shield, then there was no reason for me to stick with the PPS.

This is all personal preference in the end; I am not talking down anyone who prefers the PPS over the Shield. This is just my preference and my thinking of how I went from the PPS to the Shield. Good luck to you.

The PPS has been around since 2007, I believe, in essentially the same configuration. Now that Walther USA has its own facilities in Arkansas, I don't see any problems with parts or support and, having had M&Ps in a variety of sizes and calibers, I think the quality of the PPS is significantly above that of the S&W product, particularly when it comes to trigger and general build quality. That's my opinion, of course, and yours obviously differs. But I certainly don't think the PPS is going anywhere soon, even with the advent of the CCP. Totally different animals.

The PPS has been around since 2007, I believe, in essentially the same configuration. Now that Walther USA has its own facilities in Arkansas, I don't see any problems with parts or support and, having had M&Ps in a variety of sizes and calibers, I think the quality of the PPS is significantly above that of the S&W product, particularly when it comes to trigger and general build quality. That's my opinion, of course, and yours obviously differs. But I certainly don't think the PPS is going anywhere soon, even with the advent of the CCP. Totally different animals.

Actually, I completely agree with Synaptic Silence's statements above. I hadn't thought about Walther now having their facility in Arkansas. I still think things like lights & holsters may be harder to get if the gun isn't as popular but that may not be as important to you as it is for me. But in terms of parts and support, Synaptic Silence is correct and I stand somewhat corrected in my statements.

And his point about the trigger is an important one. I personally never had a problem with the Shield trigger but I know that many do. I personally like the Shield trigger; it looks cheap but it feels great to me in terms of how it feels against my finger, the pull, and the reset. But I know that many don't care for the Shield trigger. I would suggest that you try them out. I did love the PPS trigger, it seemed very Glock-like to me.

The Walther CCP is another intriguing option by Walther for those who are interested in 9mm single stack. In the end, I see it as a win-win situation. I certainly don't see it as the one right gun vs the one wrong, crappy gun. The PPS is an excellent gun and I miss it to a certain degree. If I had a lot more money, I would love to have kept both guns around. Thanks for your comments.

I bought both the Shield and PPS in 9mm about the same time with the idea that I'd give each a try and then sell the less preferred one.hey each have their nuances, but I like them both and haven't been able to consider selling either yet. I like the feel of the PPS in my hand better and also prefer its trigger.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top