JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

How many new gun owners have you helped in 2020?

Votes: 31 31.6%

Votes: 15 15.3%

Votes: 22 22.4%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 7 7.1%

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • 6+

Votes: 15 15.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Most of my help was getting people encouraged and signed up for formalized training. I guess there was a third, but it was more coaching on considerations for their firearm selection. They're not new to firearms, but they haven't owned one in 30 years.

I was really impressed a few weeks ago down at Threat Dynamics when a fellow was in looking to purchase a firearm (first one) but was more interested in getting himself and his family signed up for education/training classes before he makes a purchase. I couldn't let that stand uncommented, so I told him from my perspective that if more people had that kind of smart approach, we'd be a heck of a lot better with safety and knowledge.

"nice, what kind of gun did you get" I asked. "the 9mm with the extended grip". -yes great, what gun? A glock or something? I asked again "shrugs, a 9mm with the 10 round clip".

me: deer in headlights look. "what model gun?"

I then was shown a picture of a glock and asked if I'd "give" some ammo.

As a community, it behooves us to be welcoming to all new shooters and first time gun owners and demonstrate excellence and stewardship of our shooting lands. I've always thought that was a great policy.
However, the 800lb gorilla in the room is that while we tend to be very welcoming as a policy to new shooters, are we unwittingly welcoming people who come here simply to be divisive or those who have acquired firearms with bad intentions and want to pick our brains? Given today's climate of extremism, perhaps we need to rethink our approach to who is allowed to participate our community. If such policies are good enough for Facebook and Twitter....just saying. Ever try getting into place like Tri Counties GC? Vetted membership for a reason I think.
But you know, free gun knowledge can be a great thing, but sometimes not so much.
Food for thought:
oh boy, that article is straight out of infowars insanity...

I have been mentoring two youngsters (5 and 7 years old) the last several months during the rona, we have built a pair of Flint lock .54 caliber front stuffers, as well as all the goodies that go with them, and we have learned the 4 golden rules of firearms, and we are also learning lots of history related to firearms! Were planning on getting to the range once the weather turns, and learning how to shoot those Flinters and becoming proficient with them to the point of beginning competitions with them! I have a fun time quizzing them on such things as: Tell me Rule #3, or why do we always check a firearm to see if it's loaded even if we know we put it away empty, and why do we wait after shooting our flinters before we put a rod and patch down the bore!

I just helped my neighbor through the process of selecting an AR-15. He's a Glock guy primarily (work) and this is his first foray into rifles.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top