JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I am relatively new to all this and this question has probably been mulled over already.

But in light of the current climate, how many mags is enough? I tend to keep the factory mags for when it counts and use aftermarkets for the range and Quarry.

P229 40 S&W (my carry/home defense gun): I have 3 factory and 3 after market. 2 of the factory are routinely loaded with Corbon for HD.

P226 9mm: I have 3 factory and 5 after market. Since this is more of a Range and Quarry gun, I just kept the original mags in the box and use the after markets.

M&P 22: 3 x 12 round factory mags. What can I say, plink away.

Should I be loading up on springs or any other spare parts? Any other acquisitions to think about?

Thanks

Probably only need one, can't have too many though. If you're in a gun fight, chances are you will never use a second mag statistically. Its funny how people assume they will live long enough to reload, my opinion is 3 mags and all the rest of your money should go towards ammo, shooting and training.....if you like to just shoot at the range and aren't considering being party to a conflict.....load up on mags

How much you shoot denotes spring wear, they last a longer then the springs of old........again spare parts never hurt. If you're looking to prioritize , ammo/shooting, training, parts, mags IMO

4 mags for every pistol

8 mags for each rifle

Exception is for 10/22s - you can never have enough. I knew a guy in the 90s who had 300 10/22 mags. He would go out to the woods for the weekend and empty all of them. Cool guy.

I would go with as many as you can afford. when I take one of my 1911s I take all 8 mags. I would rather be shooting then reloading anyday. For CC or open carry, id bring atleast 1 extra depending on the firearm.
As a standard though, id go with what Burt posted 4 per pistol and 8 per rifle.

I've got 11 mags for the 1911. Just as backups really since they get dropped at the range a lot and during courses etc. If I'm just shooting at the range, I try to only use 3. Burn less ammo that way.

I only carry 1 spare when I'm out and about, and frequently not even on my body.

For my Star Model B in 9mm I have three factory mags they are now 60 years old for the last 25 years they have spent the majoity of their time loaded with all 8 rounds they will hold. They function perfectly.

This question is like the question about how many guns does it take to finish a collection

Just one more

I have at least 5 for every gun that takes them.
It's easier to have plenty of mags already loaded when you go out to shoot or hunt

I like to have at least five mags for every gun I own. Some guns I have a lot more than five :) My method has been if I go to a show or store and don't buy another gun, I like to buy a new mag and/or ammo. It helps spread the costs and keeps me well stocked. Lately though that's been a tough game to play.

I am one of the strange ones.

I personally believe in a minimum of 10 mags per firearm or at least main rifle and pistol and then what ever I can get for the 22lr.

This allows 7 mags for main carry and 3 spare in case some go down for whatever reason.

It is just a personal thing.

For a hunting rifle, two 5 rounders.
Hunting revolver, cylinder full plus one speed loader.

For defense carry, 1911 with 1 extra mag
or
FNP-45 with 1 mag

For fighting tyrants, Sig556 with 15 mags, upgraded to a select fire Personal Defense Weapon the first time I see some government a$$hat carrying one.

I kept 80 mags for my PTRs but i paid about 1.50 to 2 dollars each for them... i have two PTRs and would like a couple more.... 20 mags per rifle and now the fun part.... filling them with the little explosive pieces of GOLD we call Ammo :s0058:

I would be pretty satisfied with what you already have except that I like to have as many .22 mags as I can. The only additional advice that I have is, discounting current events, I will buy more if I run into an especially good deal on them. Probably don't have to worry about that just now! Good luck!

PS: I notice that some of the other posters are adding rifles to the equation. If AR's and such, I get as many as I can find/afford. Been collecting them for years.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads