JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I am relatively new to all this and this question has probably been mulled over already.

But in light of the current climate, how many mags is enough? I tend to keep the factory mags for when it counts and use aftermarkets for the range and Quarry.

P229 40 S&W (my carry/home defense gun): I have 3 factory and 3 after market. 2 of the factory are routinely loaded with Corbon for HD.

P226 9mm: I have 3 factory and 5 after market. Since this is more of a Range and Quarry gun, I just kept the original mags in the box and use the after markets.

M&P 22: 3 x 12 round factory mags. What can I say, plink away.

Should I be loading up on springs or any other spare parts? Any other acquisitions to think about?

Thanks

Probably only need one, can't have too many though. If you're in a gun fight, chances are you will never use a second mag statistically. Its funny how people assume they will live long enough to reload, my opinion is 3 mags and all the rest of your money should go towards ammo, shooting and training.....if you like to just shoot at the range and aren't considering being party to a conflict.....load up on mags

How much you shoot denotes spring wear, they last a longer then the springs of old........again spare parts never hurt. If you're looking to prioritize , ammo/shooting, training, parts, mags IMO

4 mags for every pistol

8 mags for each rifle

Exception is for 10/22s - you can never have enough. I knew a guy in the 90s who had 300 10/22 mags. He would go out to the woods for the weekend and empty all of them. Cool guy.

I would go with as many as you can afford. when I take one of my 1911s I take all 8 mags. I would rather be shooting then reloading anyday. For CC or open carry, id bring atleast 1 extra depending on the firearm.
As a standard though, id go with what Burt posted 4 per pistol and 8 per rifle.

I've got 11 mags for the 1911. Just as backups really since they get dropped at the range a lot and during courses etc. If I'm just shooting at the range, I try to only use 3. Burn less ammo that way.

I only carry 1 spare when I'm out and about, and frequently not even on my body.

For my Star Model B in 9mm I have three factory mags they are now 60 years old for the last 25 years they have spent the majoity of their time loaded with all 8 rounds they will hold. They function perfectly.

This question is like the question about how many guns does it take to finish a collection

Just one more

I have at least 5 for every gun that takes them.
It's easier to have plenty of mags already loaded when you go out to shoot or hunt

I like to have at least five mags for every gun I own. Some guns I have a lot more than five :) My method has been if I go to a show or store and don't buy another gun, I like to buy a new mag and/or ammo. It helps spread the costs and keeps me well stocked. Lately though that's been a tough game to play.

I am one of the strange ones.

I personally believe in a minimum of 10 mags per firearm or at least main rifle and pistol and then what ever I can get for the 22lr.

This allows 7 mags for main carry and 3 spare in case some go down for whatever reason.

It is just a personal thing.

For a hunting rifle, two 5 rounders.
Hunting revolver, cylinder full plus one speed loader.

For defense carry, 1911 with 1 extra mag
or
FNP-45 with 1 mag

For fighting tyrants, Sig556 with 15 mags, upgraded to a select fire Personal Defense Weapon the first time I see some government a$$hat carrying one.

I kept 80 mags for my PTRs but i paid about 1.50 to 2 dollars each for them... i have two PTRs and would like a couple more.... 20 mags per rifle and now the fun part.... filling them with the little explosive pieces of GOLD we call Ammo :s0058:

I would be pretty satisfied with what you already have except that I like to have as many .22 mags as I can. The only additional advice that I have is, discounting current events, I will buy more if I run into an especially good deal on them. Probably don't have to worry about that just now! Good luck!

PS: I notice that some of the other posters are adding rifles to the equation. If AR's and such, I get as many as I can find/afford. Been collecting them for years.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads